[Guide] How to counter karthus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

3v3ryone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2011

seems like newbes can't handle him, so here's few tips which can help you handle his annoying ulti. It will help you mostly in draft mode, where you can couter pick. I'll also mention how to counter him in blind mode, when you don't know if karthus is in enemy team.

His ulti have global range and doesn't require any aim, so it's may look OP for new players, but it's pretty easy to counter, if you want to adapt. His ulti is not OP, because it gives you warning b4 it hits you, so you can prepare yourself.

If you know that enemy team will have karthus, you should consider:

- using runes with magic resist
- taking summoner heal spell (that's what most players refuse to do, because they prefer different spells, omg where's my flash?!)
- playing safe (don't run around with 10% of your hp, just recall and buy few healing potions, so you won't have to recall too often)
- playing champion which can block/avoid dmg from his ulti, such as: vlad (pool) sivir (shield) nocturne (shield) sion (shield can absorb huge dmg) udyr (shield) annie (shield) galio (shield) zilean (ulti) and few other champions which im too lazy to type now...
- It is much easier if your team have champions who can heal, so you can make karthus ulti almost unnoticeable. for example Soraka is one of the best counters against karthus, because she have global heal with a bit worse base numbers, but better scalling.
- Ask your tank or/and support to buy aegis for more magic res.
- If you play champions which benefit from AP, you should consider buying zhonya. Zhonya can block all dmg from his ulti, so it doesn't matter how much AP karthus has.
- Champions which doesn't need AP, should consider buying items which provide magic def and dps, such as hexdrinker/wits end, and banshe + frozen mallet later. Banshe gives shield + hp + magic res, so even if shield is not up, it can still reduce significant dmg from his ulti. Frozen gives lot's of hp, and together with banshe it can negate most (if not all) dmg from his ulti. (it doesn't have to be frozen mallet, it can be any other item with huge HP bonus, such as warmog, roa, rylai)
- If you can, try to avoid running thro his wall, so you won't get nasty debuff.

Karthus doesn't have escape mechanism, which makes him very vulnerable to ganks. Don't stay inside of his aoe after he die. His aoe is dangerous early-mid game if he maxed it, because it doesn't consume mp after he die, and you may not have lot's of magic resist/hp items early-mid game. Late game his aoe is not a problem, at least for those who bought some magic resist and items which increase your HP. Whenever you go team fight, try to always stand near your teammates - this will help you avoid bonus dmg from his Q.

Important laning phase part:
- Never push your lane when you play against karthus
- Always stand inside your creep wave (this will let you avoid double dmg from his Q and it will make karthus push lane due to aoe dmg from Q)
- Try to freez your lane near your own turret, this will force karthus to overextend if he want to farm -> now you can gank him even easier.

As you can see, there's lot's of viable tactics against karthus, and even if he get fed, you can still counter his annoying ulti. You just have to adapt to ingame situations.

Copout

04-24-2011

But I need 3 zeals.

Thivus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2011

Hexdrinker is awesome.

noobs need to realize this

Ryswick

04-25-2011

-How am I going to know when to use a rune page with magic resist if I can't even tell karthus is on the enemy team until the loading screen?

-Same with heal, I can't tell if Karthus is on the enemy team unti the loading screen, and what a waste of a summoner skill.

-You shouldn't avoid playing champions because they can't block a spell.

-Banshee's is all you need, nothing else.

-Consider cancelling Karthus' ult by killing him while he channels, or stunning/silencing.

silpeamak

04-25-2011

lulz at someone who thinks they can provide a guide on countering a champ yet doesn't seem to realize that there is a whole forum dedicated to such guides...

Tekshi

04-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryswick View Post
-How am I going to know when to use a rune page with magic resist if I can't even tell karthus is on the enemy team until the loading screen?

-Same with heal, I can't tell if Karthus is on the enemy team unti the loading screen, and what a waste of a summoner skill.

-You shouldn't avoid playing champions because they can't block a spell.

-Banshee's is all you need, nothing else.

-Consider cancelling Karthus' ult by killing him while he channels, or stunning/silencing.
Quote:
seems like newbes can't handle him, so here's few tips which can help you handle his annoying ulti. It will help you mostly in draft mode, where you can couter pick. I'll also mention how to counter him in blind mode, when you don't know if karthus is in enemy team.
Yeah...you should read the whole post next time.

RaZerZeMo

04-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryswick View Post
Except he saves it until hes dead and then you can do nothing about it, I wish he'd still be able to be disabled while dead

Majiger

04-25-2011

A wild Karthus appeared!

SORAKA! I CHOOSE YOU!

Karthus uses Reqiuem!
Soraka silences Karthus!

Karthus recalls to base and proceeds to ult from fountain ever minute.
Soraka Wishes every minute.

Problem solved.

Dymion

04-25-2011

How to counter Karthas: play Nocturne, Sivir, Morgana, Soraka (counter is ult with your ult)

Leaver

04-25-2011

just build some magic resist, his ult doesn't do that much and it doesn't scale that well, other than that just be aware of your health, playing against karth shouldn't really be that much different than playing against any other caster