[Guide] Gragas: Ku Fun Hustle Style

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FiveStar

03-05-2010

The recent buff to all of Gragas' abilities really made him a viable hero. Most people have continued to play him as an AP based hero; I've gone for a different approach. The buff to the Drunken Rage and his Body Slam make for some serious damage.

The overall gist of Damage Gragas is to utilize Trinity Force and Body Slam while having Drunken Rage on.

Summoner Spells: I really like to use Exhaust and Ghost with this build, I think it saves you along with netting you kills. I could see using Heal or Ignite.

Runes: dmg/lvl and whatever else you want. I use Armor and Magic Resist per level as my other Runes.

Masteries:

Offense:

Deadliness 3/3
Cripple 1/1
Alacrity 4/4
Sunder 1/4

No Defense

Utility:
Perserverence 3/3
Haste 1/1
Awareness 4/4
Greed 1/1
Meditation 3/3
Utility Mastery 2/2
Quickness 3/3
Intelligence 3/3
Presence of the Master 1/1

Explaination:
Obviously you can do just about anything you want with this build, but I think Utility helps his chasing ability as well as helping with the neutral monster buffs. Defense could be great if you want to mix in tanking items, Offense if you want to do straight damage, etc. Melee Gragas (if played right) is pretty viable with any build.

Skill Build:

Skill Priority: Explosive Cask > Body Slam > Drunken Rage > Barrel Roll.

You won't be using Barrel Roll very often because you're not going AP. If you are barely missing kills, it might be a good idea to get one point of Barrel Roll if you're good with them, otherwise it takes up too much mana for this build.

Item Builds:

HP or Mana gem + HP Pots > Phage / Sheen > Sheen / Page > Zeal > Trinity Force
Boots of Swiftness or Mercury Treads based on match up somewhere in there.

I would suggest getting Trinity Force for him with any build you're going for. His charge also refreshes his melee swing, this utilizes the Sheen/Trinity Force hit very well. Drunken Rage with that buff is an insane amount of damage not even including his Body Slam.

Other items to consider after Trinity Force would be:
Frozen Mallet for chasing with more hp/dmg.
Infinity Edge for damage.
Bloodthirster for damage and life steal (great with his farming).
Your Choice of Survivability items based on match up.

Early Game:

As Melee Gragas, you pretty much rely on your laning partner. You want your opponents to over-extend themselves towards your tower and gank them with your partner. Keep back if you're solo and just take exp and wait until you become stronger. Charge creeps to get kills for money or to do damage against other melee characters. Use Drunken Rage with discretion, put it up before a gank or before a creep charge.

Mid Game:

Gank with your laning partner. Gragas shines when he builds his Sheen and Phage, which you should have by now. Boots of Swiftness, Phage, and Body Slam make it hard to escape Gragas. Also get Lizard and Golem buffs, this helps your character a lot with mana and ganking.

Late Game:

Continue to gank with charge. If you get decent damage, your sheen hit should be over 700, easily. Your charge also does good damage, so keep utilizing that. With Golem buff you can keep up Drunken Rage all the time. With full Drunken Rage Gragas becomes a hefty tank and a great damage dealer. The charge is also great for slowing the group of enemies.

Conclusion:

I hope you guys enjoyed reading the guide and have fun experimenting with Melee Gragas. This is by no means a hard and set build and is really flexible. Please add to the discussion, as I would love to get better with him.

Thanks for Reading!

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2010

you post ability power based offensive masteries for a melee dps build. In fact, if I am remembering correctly, Body Slam is not effected at all by Ability Power. The only benefit from going that way would be to max cooldowns through items, but you also do not recommend items that support that. Golem does, and is great on Gragas, but you want that ideal situation throughout the game and golem buff will not always be up for you. DPS Gragas works pretty well against average players. Tank DPS Gragas is a lot better against good players. The difference is that you can actually engage and live.

In the end not a bad guide, just would recommend more synergy with masteries or a better explanation as to why you go AP in the mastery line over Crit Chance.

FiveStar

03-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicosharp View Post
you post ability power based offensive masteries for a melee dps build. In fact, if I am remembering correctly, Body Slam is not effected at all by Ability Power. The only benefit from going that way would be to max cooldowns through items, but you also do not recommend items that support that. Golem does, and is great on Gragas, but you want that ideal situation throughout the game and golem buff will not always be up for you. DPS Gragas works pretty well against average players. Tank DPS Gragas is a lot better against good players. The difference is that you can actually engage and live.

In the end not a bad guide, just would recommend more synergy with masteries or a better explanation as to why you go AP in the mastery line over Crit Chance.
Oops, I'll fix that. Yeah, it's supposed to be the damage and the attack speed from Offense...

Hashishim

03-05-2010

Was trying to find a bit more info on Gragas and I saw your post. I'm not assuming anything, but you do know that trinity force adds 130% of BASE dmg right? That does not include the dmg items or even his rage. At least I'm fairly certain of this.

Cheers,
Haz

Kotsubaki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

gravedigging

Flemm

12-04-2011

Gonna try it right now and leave you feedback after.