Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fl1pzomg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2011

Support for blind monk.

Zerethon

03-22-2011

The Idea you have with this is sound, but boring as all heck.

"Intresting" skill-based ultimates and characters are very fun, very unique, and easily accessible to new players, as they don't take long to learn - just a while to master

After all, i'd rather play LoL With a large burden of knowledge to learn every char, rather than every char being a clone of master yi with slightly changed stats.

After all, why worry about "Burdens of knowledge" when most of us have only 1-2 chars that we "Main" (For me, Vlad, Urgot, and Nocturne) and we only deviate from them if the team comp we have doesn't play well with them.

Note: i'm saying every char, not per char, up until pretty recently i could pick up a new champion and be rocking face with them in a normal game right out of the box.

Now, with jarvan and nocturne, i actually found myself going to bot games to learn the champion before doing so

"That" burden of knowledge is a good one - the chars are new and fresh, but not stupidly complicated (though, weirdly, i'd love to see an invoker-style champion in LoL, i have an intresting melee idea for one >.>)

In reality Zil, you can't have the game perfectly free of "Bad" patterns - the trick is just to make the ones it has useful.

Gash Manko

03-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
So why are you playing LoL and not another game ;p
360 upvotes.

Yousosmart

03-30-2011

Question, Zileas:

In one of my Champion Concepts - Rydia, the Dream Sylph - I have her equipped with a skill called Fairy Lullaby. It is a direct CC move, like Fiddlesticks' Terrify, but puts an enemy to sleep for up to 3 seconds (sleep works like stun). However, if the target takes a certain amount of damage while sleeping, it will wake up and break the sleep effect. Fairy Lullaby itself deals no damage.

This wouldn't fall under the Anti-Combo category, would it?

Ragels

03-31-2011

Quote:
well, we are removing flash
Well?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-31-2011
242 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1pzomg View Post
Support for blind monk.
Wow, you guys just keep going at it.

frunmasterx

03-31-2011

Quote:
Wow, you guys just keep going at it.
hey zileas, when u played in starcraft, what was going around at the time?

Did people use hotkeys to play? What did u add to the game?

I'm curious cuz I just saw Day9's story and it seemed great, what can u add to it?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-31-2011
243 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunmasterx View Post
hey zileas, when u played in starcraft, what was going around at the time?

Did people use hotkeys to play? What did u add to the game?

I'm curious cuz I just saw Day9's story and it seemed great, what can u add to it?
er what?

frunmasterx

03-31-2011

Quote:
er what?
I understand that you were a quite good starcraft player. I don't know if you know who Day9 is but he made a video explaining his "life playing starcraft" and it was amazing. He said some things like, when Starcraft came out people didn't know if using hotkeys was useful.

What was it like when you were around? Obviously, if you were number one ladder in a game like Starcraft, you left something there for other people to use, do you think something you did back then, which might have seemed amazing is now normal? And if so, what would that be?

Zileas

VP of Game Design

03-31-2011
244 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunmasterx View Post
I understand that you were a quite good starcraft player. I don't know if you know who Day9 is but he made a video explaining his "life playing starcraft" and it was amazing. He said some things like, when Starcraft came out people didn't know if using hotkeys was useful.

What was it like when you were around? Obviously, if you were number one ladder in a game like Starcraft, you left something there for other people to use, do you think something you did back then, which might have seemed amazing is now normal? And if so, what would that be?
Oh, yeah, I did a bunch of economic theory work, battle formation analysis, etc. I think some people consider some of it still influential, I don't really know:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=37334

- Zileas