RE: Queue-dodging penalties

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkling2x

02-23-2010

My issues with this penalty:

1. AFKs - Someone is afk during champ selection. They are placed with random X hero they've never played before. Game is now effectivly a 4v5.

2. Mundo with Clarity - Obious problem. Idiocy.

3. Lack of Tank/Support/DPS in team composition - A lack of a solid team composition often ends games at the starting fountain.

4. Heros like Warwick, Heimer, Gragas, Evelynn, etc - These heros are generally regarded as terrible. Having them on your team is effecticly a 4v5.

These are problems because they all effect me. These things ruin the fun I may have had playing this game. Though these are problem, atleast a few are easily fixable!

My fixes:

1. An option to dodge as a team if someone hasnt selected a champion by 15 seconds.

2. Unfixable. Idiocy is not something easier fixed. An easier report system would be nice though.

3. Have a "Queue as" system. 4 types of options. Queue as: Tank, Phys, Mage, Support. Match a mix of atleast one of each. Voiala. Insta team.

4. Fix your **** hero balance. If you havnt noticed something is wrong, you should be shot. Every tier list ever created has the same "Top tier heros" and the same "Dodge if you see these heros" list. Nerf the top tier, buff the dodge tier. Warwick, Gragas, Heimer, Evelynn, etc, all need love. Nerf TF, Twitch, Alistar, Sivir, Fiddle, etc, etc.

Im sure Ill get down rated for this, Id rather put my opinion out there then +1 Pendragon like half the forum fanbois.

Edit: I wanted to point out that the "If you want to pick your team, make a premade" logic is so fail it isnt even funny. Allow me to premade without getting matched with people who are significantly 'better' then me, and Ill do this. The option of

1. Queue with a fail team/hero/abilities/whatever

or

2. Premade and get placed at a significantly higher elo bracket are both fail beyond belief.

Milskidasith

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel a Fear View Post
The logic of this post is so pure, my mind is blown.

I'm not sure i agree or disagree with the penalty yet, but this won't solve the core issue of solo q unhappiness.

The OP also had a very good post. I especially like his bit on "instead of forcing players to play when they don't want to, fix the reason they don't want to play". There are some characters that are TOTAL garbage right now. A good place to start is FIXING them. Gragas and Warwick come to mind.

It would also be nice if you added a kill+assist/deaths factor to elo, basing it purely on wins is stupid and makes for very frustrating games. I have queued with Dan Dinh, and yet I still find that I get stomped or stomp fairly often because someone on the other team is clearly not good and feeds because they just can't handle the skill level in the game. Even something as simple as "If a player on winning team has a kills + assists total that is 1.5x lower than his deaths, elo adjustment is brought down to +0" or some variation of that. And on the flipside "If a player on a losing team has a death total that is > three times his kills plus assists, his elo adjusment is doubled"

If you went 2-7-2, even if your team won, you are probably not q'ing at your skill level and your games a probably not very fun. Honestly this example only effect extreme cases, but from what I have witness it would still greatly help matchmaking.
KDA is meaningless in all situations. It's a (very rough) correlation, but nowhere near as accurate as W/L for elo.

Siky

02-23-2010

To address the Demigod comparisons, it's a bad comparison. Demigod has 8 heroes so of course you don't have mass leaver issues. Much easier to make 8 heroes worth playing than 40+ champs.

Also why can't we have a last 10 game KDA average in conjunction with W/L for matching together 10 similar players? Assists could be worth more than Kills and Deaths would reduce your average. Putting a bunch of people together that are on winning streaks at a certain ELO range would be better than having players on a terrible streak together to be placed on a team where they're potentially being carried or holding down an entire team. Better to put all slumping people together in a game as bad as it sounds.

Miles Long

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
  • When you join a matchmaking queue, it should be expected that you're not able to choose your teammates.
  • If you want to choose your teammates, make a premade.
  • There are public chat rooms, forums, a ventrilo service, an IRC service, and lots of third party communities where you can find premade games
  • Choosing your teammates is essentially cheating the matchmaking system into giving you better odds.
  • Queue dodging puts a lot of extra load on servers (people matching many times for a single match)
  • Queue dodging inconveniences 9 other players

That being said, we're not removing queue dodging, we're simply making it a tougher decision. If you ACTUALLY see a Mundo with revive/clarity, dodge it, wait the 3 minutes, queue again.
As somebody who is perhaps too overly critical of LoL at times, I can't tell you how elated I am to see this change here at last. Rock on Pendragon and Riot, don't let these self-important queue dodgers faze you with their idiotic rhetoric about why being a leaver is a good thing or "necessary."

And yes, you dodgers are essentially leavers. Based on your methology and the end result, you cannot hope to refute that point. Nothing about what you do is positive for anyone save for yourselves. The only fair justification for all parties involved is a penalty.

Enjoy your time out.

Redscare

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkling2x View Post
My issues with this penalty:

1. AFKs - Someone is afk during champ selection. They are placed with random X hero they've never played before. Game is now effectivly a 4v5.

2. Mundo with Clarity - Obious problem. Idiocy.

3. Lack of Tank/Support/DPS in team composition - A lack of a solid team composition often ends games at the starting fountain.

4. Heros like Warwick, Heimer, Gragas, Evelynn, etc - These heros are generally regarded as terrible. Having them on your team is effecticly a 4v5.

These are problems because they all effect me. These things ruin the fun I may have had playing this game. Though these are problem, atleast a few are easily fixable!
1. Have not had this happen more than once in 8 hours
2. Have seen this once ever, as someone tried to get someone else to queue dodge because they are petty.
3. If you're team is lacking these things and you see them as required it would appear you are part of the problem by not picking said class types.
4. Just because you don't like the hero doesn't make the game 4v5, heros are as good as the players behind them. If bad players are in the game or people are having a bad game it doesn't matter if they chose TF or Warwick.

Nobal Kain

02-23-2010

Okay I have to add my bit about the Demigod discussion because its a bit false. The Ranked play did not have a lobby. Once it found enough players (max was 3Vs3 when I last played) you just spawned. Had no clue what your team or the other team picked.

It had even more toxic forums. Frogboy even stopped posting because of how bad/mean the community was.

As far as the penalty I am all for it. Keep up the good work guys.