RE: Queue-dodging penalties

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Milskidasith

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Waffle View Post
From what I remember typing, my intent was not to prove to the community that I was a good player, merely to prove that I'm not a terrible player. I know I'm not good at the game, but I try my best.

But from what you say, it looks like I'm a terrible player, sorry for the inconvenience, I'll try to keep my mouth shut in the future.

Like I said, I do understand, even if you think I don't.
You still don't understand. I'm not saying you are a terrible player. I am saying that you don't understand. Yes, that's a bit of a tautology. Your K/D doesn't make you a terrible player. It doesn't make you a good player. It's MEANINGLESS. Without other data, I can assign no meaning, at all, to your K/D, unless it's so ungodly good or so ungodly terrible there's no way you could possibly be anything other than great or terrible, and even then you could screw it up/somehow benefit your team.

Saying you have a good K/D ratio doesn't mean you are terrible. It just doesn't prove that you aren't terrible, either.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xXHyorimaruXx

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCurry View Post
'So in recent news, queue dodging has dramastically dropped, but leavers and afk-ers have quadrupled'

Solo queue is gonna be helll since everybody always try to be a carry. Right now I still get teams with Heimer, Ashe, Ryze, Teemo, wait till people realize that people can't avoid them and they can play whatever they want
Grow a brain please. You rather afk 30 mins in game instead of just alt f4 and wait 3 mins for a bad team comp?

They do not take away Q dodging, they just punish it. Dodge however you want, but it's fair for everyone. Like yesterday I got dodged 7 times in a row for picking warwick, how is it fair for me when I just want to play a game?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Milskidasith

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXHyorimaruXx View Post
Grow a brain please. You rather afk 30 mins in game instead of just alt f4 and wait 3 mins for a bad team comp?

They do not take away Q dodging, they just punish it. Dodge however you want, but it's fair for everyone. Like yesterday I got dodged 7 times in a row for picking warwick, how is it fair for me when I just want to play a game?
How is picking warwick fair for your teammmates who want to be able to play a match they have even odds of winning? I mean, for god's sakes, I've played in matches with warwick where he had both rune buffs and three levels on me, and I was annie, and I was still able to kill him with stunbear + ignite + exhaust + his ult proccing six separate high damage reflects on my shield (100-130 before MR). Warwick is terrible, and being queue dodged for playing him is no more frustrating than the frustration of having a team that has to deal with him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nitrosol

Senior Member

02-23-2010

I for one only ever dodge a Queue whenever I play with someone who I know is a feeder. (For example, last night I played against a TF who intentionally fed and then told us the location of their evelyn, who was doing very well until we began hunter her on his advice, dodged him when Matchmaking put me with him the next game)
Or if someone hasn't chosen a champion or summoner spells by the 2 seconds remaining mark.

The reset on the queue dodge timer should reset whenever you successfully play a game, which discourages the chain queue dodging that is what everyone really complains about but lets someone get off with it when they just played a game in which they are then matched with a known feeder. Or revive/clarity mundo.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MapNinja

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Waaahhhh, i have to waste my own time trying get queued with a "winning" team instead of wasting the time of others! WAAAAAHHHH!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

D Wills

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
You still don't understand. I'm not saying you are a terrible player. I am saying that you don't understand. Yes, that's a bit of a tautology. Your K/D doesn't make you a terrible player. It doesn't make you a good player. It's MEANINGLESS. Without other data, I can assign no meaning, at all, to your K/D, unless it's so ungodly good or so ungodly terrible there's no way you could possibly be anything other than great or terrible, and even then you could screw it up/somehow benefit your team.

Saying you have a good K/D ratio doesn't mean you are terrible. It just doesn't prove that you aren't terrible, either.
One last post from me before I shut up. I didn't even say I had a good k/d, only that it wasn't bad, but still, that's beside the point I was trying to make, which was, so what if you lose?

I still see no reason for being angry at minor penalties, yes they are annoying, but that's where it ends, as an annoyance, for at the most 10 minutes.

Sorry if my mention k/d was wrong, I'll avoid it in the future, all I'm trying to say is that it isn't really that big of a deal to stick with a terrible team and lose.

Once again, I do understand, some of the best players I know have more deaths than kills, but its beside the point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StretchyStretch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-23-2010

This penalty system is a step in the right direction, since queue dodging is a necessary evil to avoid hopeless games that are really not fun at all, but when abused ruins the game for many. 3 mins is no big deal, so given certain circumstances people can still avoid a 30 min nightmare, but 10 mins is a pain, so people who dodge a lot will be more cautious. Go Riot!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Milskidasith

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Waffle View Post
One last post from me before I shut up. I didn't even say I had a good k/d, only that it wasn't bad, but still, that's beside the point I was trying to make, which was, so what if you lose?

Sorry if my mention k/d was wrong, I'll avoid it in the future, all I'm trying to say is that it isn't really that big of a deal to stick with a terrible team and lose.

Once again, I do understand, some of the best players I know have more deaths than kills, but its beside the point.
No, you don't. Again, it's not whether your K/D ratio is good or bad. It's the fact you mentioned it at all which is the problem. It is meaningless. Learn that. Stop making arrogant remarks that you understand something while, in the very same post, proving you don't by arguing against what you said you understand. As for sticking with a terrible team and losing: You're also going to be stuck on a great team and win about as often if matchmaking is working, so your negative w/l is probably due to your own actions, much like my stagnant w/l spread right now is due to me hitting a skill plateau I probably can't break.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bianary

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution Nine View Post
League of Legends: First game to ever penalize people for dropping from a pregame lobby.
I'd just point out that in HoN, once you're at character select, leaving gives you a full leave mark.

Ditching once the MM has found an opponent for you is like leaving there. Canceling being queued is leaving the pregame lobby.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feel a Fear

Senior Member

02-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnWonton View Post
huh?

You said you were in the high ELO bracket. And your queue times are only 1-4 minutes.

So for the remaining 95% of the player population not in the high ELO bracket, whose games only take 20-30 seconds maximum, queue dodging is a non-issue. Especially with the auto-queue.

You'd rather penalize someone for 'wasting' nine other players' time (9 x 30 seconds = 4.5 minutes total), and instead force people to play with afkers, feeders, people on your ignore list, etc., which wastes much, MUCH more time. (10 x 25 minutes = over 4 HOURS)

Your logic is flawless.

In before:
"But if you want to pick your teammates, just do a premade. Solo queue doesn't matter, so don't dodge."

I counter with:
"If solo queue doesn't matter, why do you care if someone dodges? If you really wanted a good match, make a premade."

But, wait, chances are pretty high someone on your premade will get shafted and not put into the game. Thus, someone on your team will have to dodge in order to rejoin as a team. Thus imposing the dodge penalty on everyone in your premade. Joy of joys.
The logic of this post is so pure, my mind is blown.

I'm not sure i agree or disagree with the penalty yet, but this won't solve the core issue of solo q unhappiness.

The OP also had a very good post. I especially like his bit on "instead of forcing players to play when they don't want to, fix the reason they don't want to play". There are some characters that are TOTAL garbage right now. A good place to start is FIXING them. Gragas and Warwick come to mind.

It would also be nice if you added a kill+assist/deaths factor to elo, basing it purely on wins is stupid and makes for very frustrating games. I have queued with Dan Dinh, and yet I still find that I get stomped or stomp fairly often because someone on the other team is clearly not good and feeds because they just can't handle the skill level in the game. Even something as simple as "If a player on winning team has a kills + assists total that is 1.5x lower than his deaths, elo adjustment is brought down to +0" or some variation of that. And on the flipside "If a player on a losing team has a death total that is > three times his kills plus assists, his elo adjusment is doubled"

If you went 2-7-2, even if your team won, you are probably not q'ing at your skill level and your games a probably not very fun. Honestly this example only effect extreme cases, but from what I have witness it would still greatly help matchmaking.