which vlad build works best?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Call Mee Maybee

03-10-2011

Stoped reading when you said you build warmogs on Vlad.

omgwtflolbbl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

Warmog's Armor on Vlad is a noob trap. Don't even consider getting it on him.

Also, don't aim to reach a specific HP with Vlad. You're focused on AP; having a high HP is just simply a nice side benefit. It's nothing to focus your build on.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

I said I wouldn't get sucked in.

I was doing so well.

But here I am again, explaining why people who dismiss Warmogs out-of-hand don't fully understand the benefits the item bestows upon Vladimir, and it has nothing to do with the HP to AP conversion (big hint: the conversion rate is terrible).

Warmogs is not an instantly bad choice. Yes, getting more AP will make your HP grow, but Warmogs still provides the most all-around defense against balanced teams -- and this isn't even the reason you might be tempted to pick it up. There are two main reasons to pick up Warmogs beyond the defensive capabilities of the item. They are:

Sanguine Pool --- this ability only gains bonus damage based on your amount of bonus health generated through items. Warmogs is the single-largest source of raw health, and picking it up will add around 210 or so extra damage to your Pool. Yes, it's true that using your pool for damage is typically a very poor choice, but the fact remains that the option is there and an extra 200 damage from an evasive maneuver on an opponent standing in the area the whole time just might be what you need.

Tides of Blood --- Warmogs provides enough regeneration that you can spam Tides of Blood to keep 4 stacks up at all times without losing any health for doing so. This is the main reason to pick one up, in my opinion.

Do not make the mistake that picking up a Warmogs suddenly means your build is focusing on HP. It isn't. In fact, Rylais and Warmogs are the only items I pick up that have HP on them, and HP isn't even the reason I go with Rylais as I'm sure everyone is aware of by now. The main item in competition for this slot is a Deathcap, since the %bonusAP of the item will also feed you additional HP... but it doesn't do the things that Warmogs does beyond giving you HP.

And, really, does Vladimir truly need 600-800AP when 400AP gets the job done? I'm not one to downplay overkill, but honestly, this goes beyond overkill.

JohnnyThrash

03-10-2011

Now Laxx, do you always opt for Warmog's? Or do you only buy it in certain situations, and if so what situations would those be? While the hp and hp regen are nice I feel that it is over shadowed by other items. I believe having will of the ancients and a spirit visage should allow you to spam tides of blood just as freely while providing more synergy with his skill set. I respect your opinion a lot, as I have changed a few things about how I set up Vlad due to your comments on previous Vlad posts, but I still think Warmog's is a hard sell.

ForeverLaxx

03-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyThrash View Post
Now Laxx, do you always opt for Warmog's? Or do you only buy it in certain situations, and if so what situations would those be? While the hp and hp regen are nice I feel that it is over shadowed by other items. I believe having will of the ancients and a spirit visage should allow you to spam tides of blood just as freely while providing more synergy with his skill set. I respect your opinion a lot, as I have changed a few things about how I set up Vlad due to your comments on previous Vlad posts, but I still think Warmog's is a hard sell.
I never buy Visage anymore after using it for a long time when I first started playing him. It sets my style back too far for minor benefits. I always get Sorc Shoes, Will of the Ancients, and Rylais, usually in the order of Sorc Shoes, Revolver, Rylais, then finishing WotA. From there, it depends on how the game is going, but more often than not I grab a Warmogs then a Negatron Cloak with the intention of making Abyssal Sceptre. The one game where I subbed in a Deathcap in place of Warmogs, my team ended up losing the match. It doesn't mean a lot by itself, as any number of factors could have contributed to that loss, but I did notice the lack of regeneration sustaining my Tide stacks as well as the loss of recovery when in the absense of minions/jungle creeps.

Warmogs is a personal issue and it always has been. Deathcap and Warmogs is what it comes down to, for me, and I find Warmogs to edge out Deathcap in most cases due to the specific bonuses that only Warmogs provides.

JohnnyThrash

03-10-2011

I will probably end up trying it out but my fear still remains that while having more survivability his damage output will suffer too greatly to make him effective in team fights or while in lane.

ForeverLaxx

03-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyThrash View Post
I will probably end up trying it out but my fear still remains that while having more survivability his damage output will suffer too greatly to make him effective in team fights or while in lane.
You never rush Warmogs. This is the failing most Vlads that build it suffer from. It is a midgame item, not a laning item. Your laning items, if you follow my build (not saying you should, it's just a point of reference to show you where I'm coming from), are Sorc Shoes, Hextech Revolver, and hopefully a Giant's Belt. During the early part of midgame where you're able to assist in ganks and minor teamfights occur, you'll build up the rest of Rylais. Only after that point do you begin work on Warmogs. It takes much less time to build than it used to and picking it up mid-/late-midgame is going to easily get stacks.

But like most items, if you're having a rough game you might want to look elsewhere. Maybe you need specific counters to enemy damage, or you need to fill those slots with cheaper mid-level items like Visage because you simply aren't getting the kills/assists to fund the kind of gold supply you need. It happens.

Blindly following a build order irrespective of the game will get you into trouble far more than it will help you.

owner4ever

03-10-2011

I start hp cryst
then asap boots of switness, ull be so annoying
hauntin guise because no sorcerer boots-> need spell pen
rush to deathcap
rylais
usually allways void staff (u sell haunting guise when void rdy)
then will of ancients
and new deathcap

Works perfectly if u know how to play vlad!!

Mooreo

03-10-2011

I appreciate all the feedback guys and hopefully my vlad will be a better team asset from now on. Thank everyone now I have a lot of testing to do