Improvements to the social element of the game

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jong

08-22-2009

Obviously part of the appeal of playing an online game like LoL is the social element--that's why games have been and continue to trend towards online play; people don't like sitting at home playing just by themselves. It makes sense then, to improve the player-to-player communication system as much as possible, optimizing the ease at which a player can exercise the social element, (duh).

I've seen many good suggestions that might take a little bit of work--LoL client voice support, the ability to whisper other players that are currently in game, chat window integrated into the main window etc. These suggestions seem like great ideas, some seem like they might be a way off...here are some more suggestions I've thought up, that seem to me like (most of them) they would be easy to implement:

1) Have some kind of status-setting option. I see the red, yellow/orange, and green dots next to player names, and naturally I assume that green means online and available, orange means maybe idle, red means unavailable, etc. I think though that there should be a way to set your status, to include information like whether or not you are accepting game invites, if you are on and do not want to be bothered or you already have a team and thus inviting is a waste of time...that kind of thing.

2) In the actual chat window, have time of message listed on the far right. In the two weeks I've played this game, there have probably been about a dozen times when people have asked "hey man, do you want to play a game?" when I've been away from my computer with my LoL client up, and I come back and have no idea when the message was sent, and how relevant the invite is at the current time, etc. Sometimes I'm left with a small puzzle, and it isn't necessary.

3)Implement a "quick message" system. This actually might be a little harder to implement. Players should be able to leave messages to offline players so that they can see the message when they jump back on. Part of the appeal for me (and I think a lot of other guys) of LoL is that the 30 minute average game time allows me to have a life and still be able to squeeze in a game or two on days when I have a lot of stuff going on. Since I really like playing games with only a select group of players, the low game-time appeal could be increased by being able to easily coordinate with other people when we can meet up for a few games. I understand that such a system would necessitate Riot having servers to store the data, and thats why the messages would be quick, say with a 200 character limit or something.

4) Implement the ability to easily message players of your own team/the other team after a game. If I get on and none of my buddies are on, I'll play a solo queue game. Sometimes it works out well--I'll notice that I am cooperating particularly well with another teammate despite not using ventrilo, for instance--but I won't remember the exact spelling of their name after the game, or I won't get in touch with them. Having the opportunity to talk to the teammates/opponents after the game easily made easy and available would allow players to expand their LoL networks and not have to squeeze in any thoughts during the end of the game, "gg" period. It would also allow noobs (and for that matter skilled players) to ask/give questions or for feedback after the game, and maybe reduce the in-game trash talk.

5) Implement the ability to make notes about certain players. Such a tool would allow players to remind themselves who they like grouping with, who they don't like group with, who is best with what hero, etc. Another measure that would improve the experience by allowing greater exercise over player networking.

I thought about this all day at work and I know I had some more ideas, I'll edit them in as I remember them. I'm sure that other people have perhaps thought of these ideas and maybe have shared them, and to you I say--great minds think alike!

I love the game too, many thanks to Riot for the hours of fun

Kevoun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-25-2009

I like all of these ideas very much.

1) I would like to be able to let people know my status is 'working on rune page' or 'afk' etc so they don't have to bother asking me for games.

2) I've had the same problem, I come back to my compy and can't decide whether I need to respond or not. On a side note, I will often have multiple game invites sitting on my screen, even though they have long started. Maybe make the invite messages disappear once the team is full and/or the game has started (or have some kind of notification).

4) The game ending screen seems a little 'final' to me. I feel like maybe there should be drop down menus etc. for adding buddies and stuff, or maybe a post-game chat room where you can discuss strategy/how the game went with the opposing team.

5) Agree completely. This feature is used in online-poker and I love to be able to recognize people I've played against. Maybe also be able to color-code somehow or have some kind of mechanism for organizing players based on your own interpretation of how they play.

Good stuff OP

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

08-25-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Great list man thanks for taking the time?

1) Do you mean just like a message that says you are not accepting invites you would type in? Or do you mean some kind of option to automatically reject the invites?

2) good idea, timestamps could work well.

3) will investigate

4) That makes a lot of sense, and I agree would help a lot, will investigate.

5) Hmmm.. I like the idea.. How about just being able to do this with players on your buddy list and ignore list? Dont really see a good way of just being able to do it for random players..

MadFad

08-26-2009

Regarding point 4, with regards to following up with in-game acquaintances...the game is already keeping track of the outcome of the last four games you've played. Maybe this can be expanded e.g. on click to display who actually was in those four games? Just my two cents.

Funk

08-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFad View Post
Regarding point 4, with regards to following up with in-game acquaintances...the game is already keeping track of the outcome of the last four games you've played. Maybe this can be expanded e.g. on click to display who actually was in those four games? Just my two cents.

I wonder what information is kept up with. It could be really handy for looking back on what items someone had at the end of the game. You could change/develop better builds based on that.

If the information is saved server side maybe they can let us look at it in a usable manner, the last four games is pretty much the right number of games too.

Oaeca

09-02-2009

i agree with most of these points. and also your second point funk, i know me and a few of my buddies like wait at the YOU WON screen to go thru item lists and make improvments to our own.

Dethrin

09-02-2009

The only thing that needs to be changed in my opinion is in game messaging with friends. I can't tell you how many times i am on and so are a few friends but there all in games. I wait a few minutes and get bored and start playing. By the time I finish with my game, they sent me a message and got bored of waiting and joined another of there own. If I could just send them a quick in game message we could tell each other how long till our game is over. It would make joining games with friends so much easier, instead of a huge run around.

IS1dc8e6e138dd42

09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethrin View Post
The only thing that needs to be changed in my opinion is in game messaging with friends. I can't tell you how many times i am on and so are a few friends but there all in games. I wait a few minutes and get bored and start playing. By the time I finish with my game, they sent me a message and got bored of waiting and joined another of there own. If I could just send them a quick in game message we could tell each other how long till our game is over. It would make joining games with friends so much easier, instead of a huge run around.
Completely and utterly agreed.

lopsided

09-08-2009

Would really like to be able to type "/whisper johnsmith blahblahblah" again...

Kn1ghtHawk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-09-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFad View Post

I had that same idea earlier. I'd like to be able to click on my own or a buddy's recent games, maybe it reports the ending screen score report. I've wanted to go back and check what I had and how I did.