What are people being "permabanned" for?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iconfus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svennyish View Post
It's been quite a while since I've read it, but I do believe it mentions that you're not supposed to tamper with the graphics, sounds, images. etc. If people advertise skins to be used, most of the Riot employees really don't give a **** because they can't really "prove" that people are using them, but if someone uses some on stream then people watching may get the misconception about skins that do or don't exist. I know for a fact you can't use custom skins while playing many tournament or league(XPL, ESL) games for this reason.
both bigfatip and hotshot stream custom skins

DarthNocturnis

02-25-2011

I guess I'm not sure how that's derived from what I read. Even under "Content" it is read so that it appears that if you are not selling anything regarding images, sounds, etc. then Riot will take no liability and will basically just ignore it. Copyright infringment just covers stolen ideas.
In other words, I found nothing in the Terms that say anything about adjusting things to your own personal tastes unless you are with-holding them for a price or are otherwise trying to make a profit by editting or modifying a game that is not your own.

Perhaps someone could help clear this up for me? Am I misreading something or was something changed?

Svennyish

02-25-2011

Most of the top players use the Chinese loading screen and client portraits, which are still owned by Riot.

DarthNocturnis

02-25-2011

Quote:
Most of the top players use the Chinese loading screen and client portraits, which are still owned by Riot.
Ummm...That doesn't answer the question...What are you trying to say?

1st HanarSpectre

02-25-2011

They said multiple time that they do not ban for the use of custom player made skins and a launcher with a modified appearance. So the bans are probably for afking/leaving/trolling or harassment, the usual culprits.

Svennyish

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthNocturnis View Post
I guess I'm not sure how that's derived from what I read. Even under "Content" it is read so that it appears that if you are not selling anything regarding images, sounds, etc. then Riot will take no liability and will basically just ignore it. Copyright infringment just covers stolen ideas.
In other words, I found nothing in the Terms that say anything about adjusting things to your own personal tastes unless you are with-holding them for a price or are otherwise trying to make a profit by editting or modifying a game that is not your own.

Perhaps someone could help clear this up for me? Am I misreading something or was something changed?
Fair enough. I guess I just assumed because tournaments are always DQ'ing people for streaming matches with custom skins. I remember last year 5 or 6 teams got DQ'd from XPL for doing that.

ChickenStar7

02-25-2011

From the official Banning thread.
It was not for custom skins.

1st HanarSpectre

02-25-2011

Quote:
Fair enough. I guess I just assumed because tournaments are always DQ'ing people for streaming matches with custom skins. I remember last year 5 or 6 teams got DQ'd from XPL for doing that.
That has nothing to do with Riot themselves though, but the organizer of the tournament. By policy they usually disallow any modification to the game in their tournament, regardless of if it's "legal" or not, so that everyone has the exact same client.

Praeco

Composer

02-25-2011
1 of 3 Riot Posts

These very recent perma bans(the ones going till year 2222) were not aimed at people with custom skins or leaves.

I do not want to disclose the reasons here, but let me assure you that following the Terms of Use will always keep you in the safe zone, so as long as you do this, there's nothing to worry about.

Sybil Cut

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praeco View Post
These very recent perma bans(the ones going till year 2222) were not aimed at people with custom skins or leaves.

I do not want to disclose the reasons here, but let me assure you that following the Terms of Use will always keep you in the safe zone, so as long as you do this, there's nothing to worry about.
3rd party applications of some sort, perhaps?

Does that mean the people who spent $100+ on LoL will be up a creek?

Not that I'm worried, I follow the ToS.. but still.