[GUIDE] Ryze at Mid-ELO

1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Turiacus

02-09-2010

very informative guide, well done.

I use a very similar build but i actual take cleanse instead of flash. I will have to try flash cause i can see where it will help in certain situations where cleanse might not get me away.

Krald

02-09-2010

I play at just below top ELO level, and this guide has helped me a lot. I love ryze, and I had used similar items to you generally, but the little descrepencies you discuss really helped me alot. I really enjoy your choice of masteries/summoner spells, as those definitely seem like the best choice. After playing a few games, I've realized that survivability/proper positioning is absolutely the most important aspect of playing Ryze, and is the only thing that separates good Ryze players from worthless garbage.

Good read. +1

Patyrn

02-09-2010

Does strength of spirit apply every second, or every 5 seconds? If it's per 5 like the description suggests, it's only 3 mp/5 at 1000 mana, which is awful. If it's per second like the mana one in utility, then it's pretty good at 15 mp/5 for 1000 mana.

Meta

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
Does strength of spirit apply every second, or every 5 seconds? If it's per 5 like the description suggests, it's only 3 mp/5 at 1000 mana, which is awful. If it's per second like the mana one in utility, then it's pretty good at 15 mp/5 for 1000 mana.
According to the www.leaguecraft.com champion builder, it's health per second. I have yet to see them incorrect.

Patyrn

02-09-2010

Quote:
According to the www.leaguecraft.com champion builder, it's health per second. I have yet to see them incorrect.
I think I'll definitely try this out next time I play ryze. It's not like he needs the 15% magic pen from offense. He can 0 out penetration on most people just with flux.

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu panda View Post
Hey Samus:

I posted another thread, but I wanted to ask directly in your thread as well. Have you considered going Lichbane instead of Rylai's for your last item? It seems that the mana and MR synergize well with the build your going for, giving you a little bonus damage + defense against THE NEMESIS (veigar). Also, the proc seems to fit the ryze mentality very well, as it gives you a straight +200-300 damage in your combo if you throw out an auto attack.

Thanks
Lichbane is a definite alternative to Rylai's, although I think that Archangel's is actually better than Lichbane on Ryze, so if you are not needing any additional Hp (which is the primary reason I go Rylai's) then I would recommend Archangel's, as it gives a BIG boost to your hp regen from Strength of Spirit and also gives a big boost of damage to Overload. Nothing wrong with Lichbane though, and once Ryze gets the big beef coming in the next patch (including an increase to his physical attack range, thank GOD), Lichbane will be very viable on him.

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta View Post
That is correct. Strength is per second, which makes it freaking awesome!

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
I think I'll definitely try this out next time I play ryze. It's not like he needs the 15% magic pen from offense. He can 0 out penetration on most people just with flux.
Exactly right, and after you have the core three items (Veil, Mejai's, Sorc Boots) just grab a Void Staff if everyone is stacking MR. It is cheap and comes in small pieces.

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krald View Post
I play at just below top ELO level, and this guide has helped me a lot. I love ryze, and I had used similar items to you generally, but the little descrepencies you discuss really helped me alot. I really enjoy your choice of masteries/summoner spells, as those definitely seem like the best choice. After playing a few games, I've realized that survivability/proper positioning is absolutely the most important aspect of playing Ryze, and is the only thing that separates good Ryze players from worthless garbage.

Good read. +1
Thanks for the feedback, glad I could help! After playing a variety of styles with Ryze (CD/survivability, pure AP, Hybrid AP), I have found that all of them work much much better with Ghost/Flash and Strength of Spirit, and the positioning advantage that Ghost and Flash give you. A Ryze that charges in with 600+ AP and crushes one hero and then dies in every combat is not as useful as one who wounds heroes badly, gets away, and then returns to wound/kill again and again.

Samus Araan

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turiacus View Post
very informative guide, well done.

I use a very similar build but i actual take cleanse instead of flash. I will have to try flash cause i can see where it will help in certain situations where cleanse might not get me away.
Cleanse is something I have been toying with because there are some moments where I really could have used it. Ghost/Cleanse or Flash/Cleanse are both decent choices on Ryze, but I think that Ghost/Flash edges out Cleanse just for the amazing offensive/defensive variety both spells give you. If Ryze ever gets to top ELO play (maybe after this latest beef comes through), Cleanse might be a legitimate alternative to Flash, just because of the heavy stuns/CC in high level play.

1234567 ... 13