Pando Media Booster; Uncool.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Destrus

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealSilence View Post
Dude... right there at the bottom. It says "By installing, I agree to the Terms of Use"

The terms of use there, are for none other than PANDO MEDIA BOOSTER.

If they aren't reading the ToS, they shouldn't be using the product.
my point is it doesn't tell you you're downloading pando and it doesn't tell you what it does. it also doesn't tell you that the ToS there is different than the ToS on the site for the game so even someone who would read the ToS for the game might not click it because they think it's just the same thing because that's exactly what it appears to be. and no it's not just riot's fault. pando is set up to be as hidden as possible. i've only had one download of it that actually had the ToS for it pop up saying pando media booster.

majority of people that download the game are going to assume that what they're running is a download manager from riot just for downloading the game. they're not expecting to get a p2p program that's going to continue to run hidden in the background constantly uploading. riot, pando, and every other game publisher knows this and that's the problem. that's why pando, akamai, and any other program that may exist like them works, because most people aren't expecting it. any program like this should be made compeltely visible to the user and should not be hidden like they are.

FoxAmidstStars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrus View Post
my point is it doesn't tell you you're downloading pando and it doesn't tell you what it does. it also doesn't tell you that the ToS there is different than the ToS on the site for the game so even someone who would read the ToS for the game might not click it because they think it's just the same thing because that's exactly what it appears to be. and no it's not just riot's fault. pando is set up to be as hidden as possible. i've only had one download of it that actually had the ToS for it pop up saying pando media booster.

majority of people that download the game are going to assume that what they're running is a download manager from riot just for downloading the game. they're not expecting to get a p2p program that's going to continue to run hidden in the background constantly uploading. riot, pando, and every other game publisher knows this and that's the problem. that's why pando, akamai, and any other program that may exist like them works, because most people aren't expecting it. any program like this should be made compeltely visible to the user and should not be hidden like they are.
It DOES tell you that you're downloading pando. Right there on the installer it's TELLING you that YOU ARE INSTALLING it. And then it says BY INSTALLING YOU AGREE TO THE 'TERMS OF USE.' Which are the PANDO MEDIA BOOSTER terms of use. If you aren't reading the terms of use, then you shouldn't have installed the game.

Lil Scampers

02-21-2011

Quote:
my point is it doesn't tell you you're downloading pando and it doesn't tell you what it does.
It says "preparing to install Pando"

Then it says "installing Pando"

The rest of your post is now invalid.

hohums

Software Engineer

02-21-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

PBM should not be uploading after the install or when you pause it during the download. If it is staying alive after the installer finishes*, then its a bug we will want to fix. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide information on how to reproduce that.

The primary reason for Pando is to speed up the install. It uses both CDNs and peer to peer, it does not contain spyware. Note that most online games use peer to peer as part of their download strategy. Without the peer to peer downloading will be much slower. Also in some cases it will be more expensive to not use peer to peer because of increased loss due to increased distance the packets have to travel. Furthermore if your downloading from 2 locations on the same network much of that download can be shared... reducing the download amount (and download cost).

We don't currently have a way to turn off PBM during the install however its something we'll look into.

*I haven't been able verify any significant uploading after several days of testing myself over the past few weeks. The service is there for sure... it checks for PBM updates, however it uses less download then say your MSN chat client to do that.

Shashakiro

02-21-2011

So you guys think a malware virus is legal and all good and fine if while it installs itself it has some link to a legal disclaimer? That's not how consent works, sorry.

I'm not saying this is a malware virus, but I read RIOT's Terms of Service and End User License Agreement for League of Legends before installing and those do not mention Pando or anything related to it, as far as I can tell. Anything that appears during or after the installation process is irrelevant because at that point, the files are already installed on my computer.

By reading this post, you consent to give me a million dollars. Do you think that's binding? No? Well, the link on the installer window is equally non-binding.

EDIT: thanks, hohums, that clears things up pretty well, though you might want to mention Pando somewhere (like the ToS or EULA) before downloading starts so that people know what they're putting on their computer.

FoxAmidstStars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
So you guys think a malware virus is legal and all good and fine if while it installs itself it has some link to a legal disclaimer? That's not how consent works, sorry.

I'm not saying this is a malware virus, but I read RIOT's Terms of Service and End User License Agreement for League of Legends before installing and those do not mention Pando or anything related to it, as far as I can tell. Anything that appears during or after the installation process is irrelevant because at that point, the files are already installed on my computer.

By reading this post, you consent to give me a million dollars. Do you think that's binding? No? Well, the link on the installer window is equally non-binding.
PMB isn't malware idiot. Go get System Tool. That's malware.

Edit; May want to include the "Not saying it's malware" in the first sentence which people will actually read.

Destrus

02-21-2011

it needs to say it before actually installing it. it's not downloading it then. you downloaded it when you downloaded the downloader for LoL it also installs fast enough that just by looking away you can completely miss that it installed like i did the first time i ran into it about 3 years ago.

WeNeverBropen

02-21-2011

Holy **** a Hohums reply! It's the end of the world! Riot is acknowledging stuff! AHHHHHH!

*jumps out a window*

Lil Scampers

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
That's actually exactly how it works. Welcome to reality.

FoxAmidstStars

02-21-2011

Quote:
it needs to say it before actually installing it. it's not downloading it then. you downloaded it when you downloaded the downloader for LoL it also installs fast enough that just by looking away you can completely miss that it installed like i did the first time i ran into it about 3 years ago.
Doesn't do anything until you install it, oh and don't look away. Why would you look away from your screen while installing something from anything but a disk.

"installing ****. now installing super deadly virus thing. now installing ****"

Sounds like an idiotic thing to do to me.