[Guide] Wazzabi's Warwick Guide

12345612 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siky

02-06-2010

One of the reasons I advocate on the side of people needing to drop Warwick or Warwick just plain needing a rework is that I feel like he suffers the most from dying. 1 death without a single kill a lot of the time depending on when can mean you're pretty much done for the game. 2 deaths before level 6 means you're pretty much done for the whole game and nothing you do can really save you against a competent team. It's effectively 4v5 and no amount of stalling matters at that point since you are essentially food once mid game hits.

I still feel like Warwick isn't viable at high ELO just because you're basically playing a game where people know what they're doing at that point and countering Warwick isn't hard. You can passively counter Warwick by just killing easy neutral creeps and push for mid game as fast as possible. If you slow Warwick's farming down, it hurts him a lot because once it turns into a team fight, Warwick becomes less useful automatically. He thrives when people are separated and can deal with the groups of 2 or sometimes 3, but when it's 5 vs 5, he falters.

Still I agree with the guide and the specific play style you have to employ with him, but that doesn't change the fact I still feel like when it's all said and done, having Warwick on your team limits both team composition and viable strategies. If something falls apart and you don't have a recovery plan, you're dead. I'm not high ELO, but I just feel like the weeks of playing Warwick with a premade against other premades has given me enough experience to say that even if you can make Warwick work, doesn't mean a working Warwick can fight every team and there are certain team compositions that can shut down Warwick himself just because of their difficulty to gank. Warwick loves squishies, but most of the time you can really only rely on ganking mid and if mid isn't available, it gets really hard especially if the laners are having no success in harassing the opponent.

* If anything I think this guide needs more in-depth information about which creeps to jungle to optimize jungling time. A lot of good junglers learned this by themselves, but people new to jungling have a lot of difficulty with this. They don't know when to go back to buy stuff and often times they end up going back too many times or when they don't have to just to get an item a guide says is important to get. Also if Clairvoyance is your choice of spell for this guide, things to look out for while jungling and when it's best to use Clairvoyance to avoid ganks is important. There isn't a science to it, it's more about game knowledge, but general guidance would surely help blossoming Warwick players be less terrible.

* Also would be nice to have information on what to do to recover after a death or 2. Personally I think the game is pretty much over against a good team, but maybe a better player like Wazzabi thinks otherwise. The goal of any player is to not get into these situations, but the fact of the matter is you can die and that you will die, so what do you do if you died and you desperately need XP or more importantly for Warwick, to farm back up into a fighting position.

Wazzabi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siky View Post
* If anything I think this guide needs more in-depth information about which creeps to jungle to optimize jungling time. A lot of good junglers learned this by themselves, but people new to jungling have a lot of difficulty with this. They don't know when to go back to buy stuff and often times they end up going back too many times or when they don't have to just to get an item a guide says is important to get. Also if Clairvoyance is your choice of spell for this guide, things to look out for while jungling and when it's best to use Clairvoyance to avoid ganks is important. There isn't a science to it, it's more about game knowledge, but general guidance would surely help blossoming Warwick players be less terrible.

* Also would be nice to have information on what to do to recover after a death or 2. Personally I think the game is pretty much over against a good team, but maybe a better player like Wazzabi thinks otherwise. The goal of any player is to not get into these situations, but the fact of the matter is you can die and that you will die, so what do you do if you died and you desperately need XP or more importantly for Warwick, to farm back up into a fighting position.
I appreciate your input very much. I understand that many people don't think he's a viable hero, you're not alone in that belief i promise you.

I've actually had a few tells in game already asking about specific creep information. I'll add that to the guide as soon as I can.

I'll also add information about how to recover from certain events as well.

Great ideas for sure.

Tabibito

02-06-2010

What is your second summoner spell?
I read Smite, but no second one.

Alaric11

02-06-2010

You sir, are a best.

And a detailed how-to on jungling would really make my day. I can't jungle with him starting at lvl 1 to save my life, I heard its my rune page.

Arctyc

02-06-2010

There are two ways to start off Jungling.

The first is the Smite/Rally build. Higher ELOs, this will often get you killed.

The second is the Exhaust/Rally, Ghost/Rally, or Smite/Exhaust builds. These are safer, but slower. They do, however, give you a Summoner spell that is much more useful Mid to Late game.

Now, about runes. There are a couple ways you can go with Runes. You can Match your runes to their type (for example, Attack Speed/Armor/Cooldowns) or stack a stat.

For jungling, I like maximizing the benefit by matching, OR doing a 2/3 stacking page, foregoing -Cooldown glyphs for more offensive boosts.

How this is important for early game jungling is twofold. One, you're not worried about Magic Resistance or Magic Penetration, Mana Regeneration, or even particularly your Maximum HP. What you need is either to kill the creep faster (Armor Penetration, Attack Speed), regenerate significantly more health (Attack Speed, see passive), or take less damage (Armor).

The two other important factors are your Mastery (2 points into +XP% is needed to make a small golem camp instant level 2) and your first ability (Hungering Strike is too expensive to use extensively unless you're hitting big golem camp first, and see note about smite/rally).

I've actually been enjoying some success with Ghost/Rally, since it allows you to pop your first three minor camps very quickly, getting you back to base for your Madred's almost as fast as a major Golem camp Smite/Rally would.

Siky

02-06-2010

If you read, it's Smite and Clairvoyance. Might be a good idea to list your options and why. It really depends, but I feel like Warwick needs Smite. The second is optional, but he really only has a few good ones depending on your style.

Flash - I Still believe Flash offers the most versatility if you're Ultra aggressive. It lets you tower dive early game and survive after Ulting someone there. Also when Jungling it allows you to escape ambushes of multiple champs.

Rally/Exhaust - They sort of do the same thing except Rally lasts longer and doesn't provide any CC. It kind of depends on you, but I don't really like either so I can't comment on the good of selecting any of these.

Ghost - It has it's uses, but I still feel like Flash is superior just because my playstyle tends to be more of setting the pace early early game. Ghost is better after the laning phases definitely where Flash loses some of it's use for Warwick.

Clairvoyance - Not a spell I use much of, but it seems to come recommended by Wazzabi and used correctly can benefit your entire team, not just yourself. It extendeds the player's usefulness for the entire game at least for recon purposes.

Heal / Clarity / Fortify / Revive - Bad on Warwick. Don't ever. Warwick is an offensive character and you need things that boost his ability to be offensive. These things are better on someone else.

Cleanse - You can say what you will, but without Flash or Ghost, Cleanse is pretty bad. It won't save you alone because Warwick isn't really that fast to begin with.

Ignite - Ignite is cool, but I think Rally/Exhaust would give you more damage than the 500 this thing offers. If you're going to remove survivability spells for more offensive spells, it's better to look elsewhere imo.

Teleport - Not a great spell on Warwick, it's always a good spell to have though, but you should never be suddenly struck so hard you're way out of position to help your team to need this. Late game when people start backdooring you hard, maybe, but by then Teleport probably won't do anything except delay the inevitable.

Wazzabi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-06-2010

I added a section detailing jungling from levels 1 through 3.

I also added a summoner skills section.

These additions were added to the bottom so you don't have to dig through and find them if you've already read the guide.

Also I don't know where you got clairvoyance from as I don't use that skill and I can't find where I said I did.

But anywho thanks for the great ideas, if anyone has any other questions/suggestions let me know and i'll get to/add them as soon as I can.

Siky

02-06-2010

I used to take Golem at level 1 with Cloth Armor + 3 HP Pots and 1 MP Pot. You might think it's a waste, but I used to run it so that I could just jungle until level 5/6 before going back to buy typically Boots of choice + Madred's. Basically just hit Golem, after 2 or 3 hits, Hungering Strike, pop HP Pot and MP Pot, continue to spam Hungering Strike until the Golem has about 450 HP (I remember Smite doing 600, don't know why I'm seeing 420+35 per level now, maybe I'm just remembering the 600 wrong) and then pop Smite. I used to like to pop Smite off first so it's on C/D and I can use it sooner, but I think Golems regenerate too fast now for that. Also because of the Jungle nerf of Golems/Lizards spawning later I might have to buy Warwick to see if it's possible to kill Golem/Lizard after killing 1 or 2 other neutral creeps properly spawns.

It's dangerous as if people want to gank you, unless you're comfortable with reacting with your Flash, you will die, but that's the same for any starting creep if they're looking to gank you. Golem is a predictable spot and very easy to gank since it's closer to the water pass than Lizard is.

I don't know, it's really up to you, but I think you're comfortable hitting the small creep camps early and getting Golem Buff after, but I just really like Golem Buff early on so it's helps up your DPS and longevity in the Jungle, the spawning nerf hurts though and I don't know how to compensate for that and don't know how big of an issue that is.

Ah, the art of Jungling, how much I miss you. Though after awhile when you're used to everything Jungling can throw at you, it becomes so routine it gets boring. I missed laning a whole lot when I got really good at gank dodging while Jungling because it really did just become routine and the only fun times were basically getting frustrated by a competing Jungling Amumu, Malphite or Fiddle.

Jaira

02-07-2010

So, someone finally made a decent guide with how to play Warwick. Exciting. Ive played several hundred games with Warwick as well, mostly during beta, but some live as well. My current build with him is to run 21/9/0 and do golem rune at level one, I successfully do it with cloth armor, one health potion and smite and walk away to next creep camp with just over half hp left.

I thought id just comment on this since it seems you and most other junglers do the small camps first, Which I dont think is best personally. But this is a champion that is very much dependent on personal experience, So whatever works for you, I am just throwing my two cents in.

Brontobeuf

02-07-2010

During so many weeks until yesterday I belived Warwick was the ****piest one in the list.

And I tried your build, at mid-elo range. I've done 6 games with him, won the 5 first (and loose the 6th if i'm correct).

Now I know that he is not that bad and even, that he can be good well played (i don't play him that good, but I can feel the potential).

I've been queue dodged a loooooot of times. ^^

Great guide.

My jungle rotation:
- doran's blade + pot
- all small creeps camps then TP.
- cloth armor and pot
- golem
- check of what's going on on the map

I was thinking of playing 2% runes to be lvl 4 just after the golem so I can help on a lane more efficiently than at lvl 3. But I would lose Armor Pen... haven't tried.

I need obv more practice.

12345612 ... 13