XP/IP Change FAQ

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 40
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tamat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Live Services

Follow RiotTamat on Twitter

02-17-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Summoners!

Some of you have been asking us questions about the changes to how Experience and Influence Points will be gained after yesterdays update. To help ensure that everyone understands these changes, we’ve taken the liberty of answering a few frequently asked questions.

Q: What is changing with the new system?

A: The short answer is that IP and XP are now earned on a per minute of play basis. Winning will still reward you more than losing, but rewards should be a lot more even overall. Click here for a graph that represents the differences between the old formula and new formula.

Q: Why was the system changed?

A: First - the old system was inflexible - it wasn't great with new maps (like Twisted Treeline) and new modes (like Co-Op vs. AI). With Twisted Treeline we did an inelegant solution (basically 30% less IP/XP) which actually discouraged play on the map. For the future new maps and modes we wanted something better.

Also we felt that the old system sometimes gave rewards that did not make sense. For example, if you were on the losing team, losing as quickly as possible was actually rewarded on an IP/XP per minute basis. Additionally, a really epic 60 minute game gave a very low IP/XP grant to all participants. This new system ensures that you will be fairly rewarded for your effort regardless of these sorts of particulars.

Q: Will I be getting more or less IP and XP as a result of this change?

A: While you will get more or less in some games, the average XP/IP gain will be much more consistent. If you typically played very long games, you will tend to get more IP and XP; however, if you typically play short games, you will get slightly less IP and XP.

Q: Why would you do that?

A: Player have been asking for shorter surrender time, and this system now allows us to give it to them. Previously, we wanted to set surrender minimum time to 20 minutes, but this would have made the optimal IP farming strategy to be to simply surrender every game at 20 minutes. With the new IP/XP system, this is a bad strategy, so we set surrender minimum time to 20 minutes, which is about the point at which we think you can legitimately have 'already lost' the game if your team is doing especially poorly.

Q: How does this affect XP & IP Boosts?

A: Boosts have been changed so that they always grant a bonus which is equal to the maximum capped amount of XP or IP that can be earned with this new system.

Q: We just destroyed an enemy team in 20 minutes, and got very little IP. What gives?

A: Because the system now awards on a per-minute basis, short games will give you less IP.

Q: It seems unfair that I spend 5 minutes milling around in queue and in champion select, and don't get an IP/XP reward for that. Does this system help with this at all?

A: Actually, it does! All game types give a slight 'completion bonus' that is equivalent to several minutes of play. This is embedded in IP you earn.

Q: My newbie friends are gaining IP faster in similar games. Why is that?

A: Players start out earning a slightly more IP to help them get some initial Champions and runes early in the game so they would be able to unlock some Champions they could learn then play consistently.

Q: What happened to the non-leaving streak bonus?

A: We always intended the improvements to the LeaverBuster(R) system to phase out the non-leaving streak bonus. Now that we've seen the numbers of leavers being reduced with auto leaver banning, we felt the bonus wasn't serving its purpose anymore (and a lot of players didn't seem to know how it worked). Instead of having a complicated, hard to understand separate bonus, we added that IP to the new system - so you should all get the bonus all the time.

The graph included reflects changes that are going into effect next time we restart the servers. Read more information about the next batch of changes coming to this system in a post by Zileas.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or feedback to share. Just remember, we're listening to what you say, but we'd really appreciate it voiced in a constructive manner.

Alatian

02-17-2011

Interesting...I'm still not sure about the situation, but it's nice to have the stats!

AstorSapolsky

02-17-2011

But the leave bonus doesn't seem like it's been added into... ahh whatever, I'm glad this is almost over with.

Thanks for writing this. I'm excited to see Twisted Treeline getting some much needed love.

Turrets are OP

02-17-2011

Meh.

DrDragun

02-17-2011

Well thanks for graphs

It seems like my average IP over 100 games is going to be the same but it feels weird to get less IP for quick wins.

Disaresta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

Do not want. I hope this doesn't make people want to keep playing when it's just a feedfest. This comment may bring up debate of "there's always a chance to win". That may be true, but when your team feeds hard carries and consists of characters that scale poorly into long games, it's pretty much a loss...

Also, MOAR IP.

Enemy Minion

02-17-2011

Given that independant research by lolbase shows that the average is closer to 35, this is more or less an extreme nerf to IP still.

A system that rewards strong and decisive gameplay on the side of the winners, and an unwillingness to to give up on the side of the losers, seemed a healthier way of doing things for everyone involved.

This new system seems to encourage battles of attrition, who can stay the strongest while waiting out the timer and such.

Hudelf

02-17-2011

Biggest flaw I see with the new system versus the old system is the perception of short game wins. The IP for a 25 minute win (A surrender) in the old system now requires a 45 minute long game in the new system. This makes it feel like you get substantially less IP per game, especially for the short games.

Additionally, I see no problem with potentially (or deliberately) overshooting and giving slightly more IP than before. Basically, flatten the values on the new system to be closer (not matching) to the old system before the average match length, and leave the IP gains for longer than average matches where they are.

Doing some number crunching in Excel right now to find out how much effort it takes to actually get enough IP to buy what you need at level 30. This helps a lot, will update this post with my results.

EDIT: Thread about IP costs and game times based on the data posted: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=523991

PervertedCrab

Recruiter

02-17-2011

My average gametime is 32.35 minutes according to LoLBase.net I'm getting much less IP than before this change. Why am I being punished?

Grackling

02-17-2011

lol

this is a kick on the nuts to the high-elo players

they will end up getting much less IP now

1234511 ... 40