Pando Media Booster; Uncool.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyThePig View Post
If it is running in the background on my computer then it is uploading at bytes per second
In general I found it uploading about 20KB/s constantly.

doesn't seem like much does it?
until you do the maths;
20X60 = 1200 KB/minute
1200 X60 = 72000KB/hour
72000 X 24 = 1728000KB/day
that's about 1.647949219 GB/day

This means I could run it for 10 days, then I would have my uploads capped and either my net speed throttled, or charged huge amounts in overflow.

To make matters worse, more than once I saw it at values closer to 100KB/s.
At that point, you're downloading closer to 7GB a day or more and Not many in Australia can handle that sort of wastage, especially when they have no idea it's even going on.

DinoLlama

02-17-2011

Quote:
"Pando will, once the download completes, and unless otherwise directed by the user, continue to "seed" the files out which can use bandwidth."
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.p...ated-9-17-2010

Taken from LOTRO pando media booster FAQ, apparently they use it too. I hate the fact that they don't inform you of these things when you download LoL. Even if there are ways of disabling it, they should really tell you what it is and what it does first.

JoeRoberts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

Personally I don't have a problem with it. I love the US of A.

I can see it being a problem in Australia or at net cafes. On the other hand, what happens if everyone suddenly turns it off? Patch downloads suddenly are at a hundredth of their current speed. The community would go ballistic.

Drillermaniac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

Bump, this might be a pretty big issue.

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoberts View Post
Personally I don't have a problem with it. I love the US of A.

I can see it being a problem in Australia or at net cafes. On the other hand, what happens if everyone suddenly turns it off? Patch downloads suddenly are at a hundredth of their current speed. The community would go ballistic.
Well, apparently it only helps download the game itself, not patches, so it wouldn't actually make much of a difference at all.

And it doesn't need to be completely removed anyway.
Frankly, all I want is a "click here if you want Pando to run, here is what it does".

What really gets to me, is....okay look at it this way.

You're sitting at home....minding your own business....
3 months later, your electricity bill is off the charts
you call them up, and they say "hmm...seems you've been using up a lot of power, all the numbers are correct"
so you go and check your cables...
and find that there is a power cord connect to the mains supply running into your house.
You follow it, and find out it's powering the street lights.
Turns out some government department thought it would be better for society if every individual helped pay for their streets lighting directly from their own power supply.

But they didn't tell you, you never agreed, and now you owe the electric company an extra $500 that you'd never factored into that years finance.

That's how I feel.

I didn't tell them I wanted to be a bandwidth slave.
I didn't agree to upload constantly
and I didn't conserve my bandwidth with the knowledge several GB would be taken away, because I was never told it would happen.

Truckasaurus

02-17-2011

Red post somewhere says it's only used for the initial installer download.

Roadwarrior

02-17-2011

taskmgr -> dont see panda.. but if it is running like most of you guys say it is it uses minimal sys resources. you can also block panda from getting thru the winblows firewall.

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior View Post
taskmgr -> dont see panda.. but if it is running like most of you guys say it is it uses minimal sys resources. you can also block panda from getting thru the winblows firewall.
Go into performance, then Resource monitor, you'll see it under "network"

Also, you'll find it if you "show processes from all users" and it is one of the processes called "svchost" but there are many with that name.

Easiest way to remove is to find it under "add or remove programs.

Mineralo

02-17-2011

Thank you, i just uninstalled it.

heat511

02-17-2011

I have 6+ computers on my internet connection (rental property ftw?). I had to make sure everyone had it uninstalled from LoL and LOTRO, it quickly becomes an issue when you have that many PMBs running at once. I'd recommend uninstalling it.