A heartfelt letter to the staff at Riot Games

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 22
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DeVo225

02-16-2011

I submitted this letter to Riot via the contact us website a few days ago, but after viewing all the displeasure with Riot tonight, I thought I should share my story here. This is not an exact copy of my original letter but I will make it close.

Dear Riot Games,

I just wanted to write something that expresses my feelings on your game and your staff.

I first started playing League of Legends when my roommate in college introduced it to me back in September. At first I was skeptical, having never played a DOTA game, but I liked RTS games so I gave it a try. Little did I know that this would become one of my all time favorite games. I quickly became addicted to this game. My floormates and I would play this game long into the night, screaming at each other from room to room based on how we were doing. This was very fun and continued, uninterrupted, until one fateful October evening.

On October 22nd, 2010, I was on my way home from school to visit my parents for the weekend. After a long 2 hour drive, I was looking forward to being home. I was about 10 minutes from home when it happened. All I remember is slowly coming to with my car's horn blaring, windshield smashed, and someone's voice asking me if I was ok. I had gotten into a severe car accident at around 6:30 at night. I remember a ton of thoughts going through my head, but I always focused on one, "I can't move my legs". I had to be flown to the nearest trauma center where I was immediately operated on. I had broken both my legs and suffered a concussion. After I was stabilized, I asked the doctors if I would be able to walk. They were not sure but I would need more surgery. I ended up having 6 surgeries and spending 20 days in the hospital.

After alot of physical therapy, I was allowed to go home to rest and continue my therapy in home. I was stuck in a wheelchair, I had to sleep in a hospital bed in my living room, and I was in constant grueling pain. The worst part was the time. The days dragged on forever and the sleepless nights seemed endless. There was, however, one thing that made the time pass a little faster, and it was your game. My friends from college came to visit me and brought me my laptop so I would have something else to do instead of just watching TV. After they left, I logged into my computer, went on Skype with my friends, and started playing League of Legends. This made me feel like I was back in the dorms again and everything was normal. It also took my mind off of my situation and helped the time go by a little faster.

The point of this story is that this game has touched me in a way no game I have played before has. Your game really helped me get through a very difficult and painful time in my life. When I logged on and started playing with my friends it brought a small smile to my face. When I see all of the people who complain and insult you all, it makes me sad. You guys and gals really are amazing at what you do. Your community involvement is outstanding and you have produced a very high quality game. In fact, the reason I chose to write this letter in the first place is due to one of your employees, Shurelia. I made a post a while back asking what rank you have to be at to get matched up with people who work at Riot. I received some answers and then about an hour later I get a friend request out of nowhere. I decided to accept it and it turned out to be Shurelia. She had read my post and asked me if I wanted to play a game. We did and even though we had a leaver on our team, it was one of the most memorable games of LoL I have ever played. There is no other company I know that takes this much pride in community involvement, and for that I salute you.

To conclude, I applaud you Riot. You have made a fantastic game and your staff is second to none. I truly thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the effort you guys put into making this game as amazing as it is. I just thought that seeing how much one fan appreciates you would make your day a little better.

Sincerely,
DeVo225

TL;DR
I love League of Legends and even more so because of its staff and the fact that it helped me cope with a traumatic event in my life.

***October 22nd EDIT: Copying a post I just made so noone has to search for it in the replies.***

First and foremost, please excuse the necro. I was just browsing this and wanted to say something.

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my accident and I decided to search the forums for this thread and read the replies again. What I noticed is alot of people asking how I was doing and I feel like after a year, I can finally give a progress report to those of you who are interested.

Thankfully, I am now able to walk with no assistance and I have been back in school for 2 semesters. It was a long and tough road but I am almost completly back to normal. The only things that give me problems are standing for prolonged periods and running. I am happy with my progress and very thankful to be almost back to normal.

As far as League is concerned, I'm still battling it out on the fields of justice as much as ever. I'm currently playing some ranked and trying to improve my game. I'm even considering streaming my games because it looks like alot of fun! I also had the pleasure of meeting some of the Diot staff at the Intel Extreme Masters at NYCC. Everything I said about Riot's staff still applies. They were all very nice and really enjoyed talking with fans. I got autographs with several Rioters and even got a picture with Phreak and Nikasaur!!! All of you who were there definatly made my first comic con an experience to remember.

Once again I praise you Riot, for your dedication to the game and it's community. It is my sincerest hope that you keep up the fantastic work! You all make one hell of a game and I thank you very much for your dedication!

All the best and a very happy 2nd birthday,
DeVo225

dankyc2ss

02-16-2011

glad your ok man! I know vid games helped me a lot when I was in the hospital and couldn't mountain bike or do anything really at all for a period of time after that.

LordSocky

02-16-2011

The forums need more stuff like this. +1, would read again.

In fact, I'm gonna go read it again right now.

Crazy Wilhelm

02-16-2011

This is nice. +1

Noisybonez

02-16-2011

+1

itzanotherloser

02-16-2011

Nice one bro, people need to be reminded that even though RIOT does make mistakes and stuff, they are still giving us a great game that we all enjoy.

Ignoring this fact and saying that you are quitting cause you aren't getting what you want is your loss

Benign Sentinel

02-16-2011

I'm confused why your displeasure with Riot made you post this on the forums >.<

But I'm glad you got better, I hope there's no true permanent damage!

Hypopyon

02-16-2011

He said viewing 'the' displeasure on the forums, not his own.

Krunkster

02-16-2011

I'm glad you're better man! What you said is true, the employee's and their community involvement is astounding, definitely up there. I love hearing stories like these, helps bring people together.

KarrieBear

Associate Creative Designer

02-16-2011
1 of 8 Riot Posts

Wow.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm really honored to know that I'm working on a game that touches people's lives. Riot has certainly changed mine. =]

1234511 ... 22