(Guide)AP Gragas: Toggle the Brewmaster!

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

T0ggle

02-03-2010

This is Toggle's AP Gragas guide, has nothing to do with CDR and/or tanking.
So in this guide i'll be posting my skill path, item build, summoner spells, masteries, runebook and extra thoughts, but I will not be posting his Bio or skill tooltips because I feel that is a big waste of time.

Rate my guide when your done reading it, and if you like it do me a favor, give thumbs down to all the trollers on my threads because its getting out of control.

With that being said here is the skill path I have chosen
1.Barrel Roll
2.Drunken Rage
3.Barrel Roll
4.Body Slam
5.Barrel Roll
6.Explosive Cask
7.Barrel Roll
8.Drunken Rage
9.Barrel Roll
10.Drunken Rage
11.Explosive Cask
12.Drunken Rage
13.Drunken Rage
14.Body Slam
15.Body Slam
16.Explosive Cask
17.Body Slam
18.Body Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggle
Maxing out barrel roll as soon as possible is definitly a need for any AP Gragas build. Being able to time and throw his barrels at the enemy is key to any successfull harassment. Getting 1 spell in Drunken rage will give decent mana gain, the HP regen passive you absolutely need and want plus the drunken rage buff. Getting 1 spell in Body slam is an absolute need mostly for the charge incase for an escape and passive heals. The mana cost on body slam is fairly low so you can use it a lot when retreating or charging the enemy head on.
Here's my pro tip for using all his spells correctly at level 6, throw a barrel in front or at an enemy directly but don't explode it, use explosive cask behind him so it damages and nocks him back into your barrel roll, then explode your barrel roll and charge him with body slam, if done correctly the enemys HP should be low or at 0 depending on how much you harassed him before hand.
Also you can use Drunken rage in the bushes so that they enemy has no idea you have the drunken buff on you.
My item build consists of
Philosophers stone(Late game sell for wardens mail or force of nature)
Boots of speed
Mejai's soulstealer
Sorcerer's boots
Rylai's crystal scepter
Void Staff
Zhonya's ring

Second build Recommended when starks fervor is present in your lane.
Mejai's soul stealer
Boots of speed
Giant's belt
Sorcerer's boots
Rylai's crystal scepter
Void staff
Lichbane
Zhonya's ring

Quote:
My first item build works great because the HP regen with philosophers stone keeps my survival up till I grab rylai's and stacks enough AP to keep you as a qualifying badass in damage late game. My second item build works even better because you can get mejai's stacked sooner and AP gain grows faster, the downside to this is you need someone to build starks fervor for the lifesteal and Hp regen. Most people get confused and think that a chalice of harmoney will save them early to mid game because of its magic resist but really its the HP regen items that are turning the tides of battle. Don't bother getting rod of ages because rylai's easily tops it with 15% slow from your aoe spells and 500hp gain(Rod of ages gives like what 700hp? pfft 200less ain't much when you consider the other ups to having a rylai's.)
Anyone saying that i'm wrong for not building gragas as a support champion is exactly why so many gragas's fail. My builds all focus on damage, even my zilean build is all damage, you can still be a support champion and deal massive damage if done correctly. many people fail to knotice this but 2 of gragas spells deal up to a max of 300damage, if built right you can deal at the very least 1,000magic damage in AOE, with nockbacks and supportive manuvers. Now if gragas is fed his ap will max to about 550, add that to barrel roll and explosive cask, then what do you get? an assassin of sorts if you ask me.
Summoner spells
Ignite - people really underestimate this spell, at level 18 it deals nearly 500 damage, wich is a lot considering it can save you the trouble of running after someone early to late game. make sure you take your level and calculate the damage ignite will do before you use it, or make sure they have around 100hp or less exactly so that its in the bag.
(off thoughts, make sure they use their heal first before you waste ignite on accident, if you don't know if they have heal or not, go ahead and use it then, they might just forget they have heal.)
Heal - Really I only suggest this to noobs that need healing fast instead of over a period of time, not calling you a noob persay but i'm saying if your a noob.
Rally - if your a skilled player and have rally masteries choose this over heal, it can really boost your ap late game and the healing your team needs to match.

Quote:
So I get ignite because it finishs the enemy off and effectively ruins any heals/hp regen during a fight. I get rally because when an enemy thinks they can double on you at half or less hp you can pop a rally to heal you and your teamate while still dealing more damage then the opposing team.
Masteries - 21/0/9(the 9 in utility can be spent in defense, doesn't matter really)
1 deadlyness
3 archmage's savvy
4 sorcery
1 burning embers
1 archaic knowledge
3 sunder
3 brute force
1 improved rally
3 lethality
1 havoc
~
3 perseverence
1 good hands
4 awareness
1 utility mastery

Quote:
Explanations, yes of course well Archmage's savvy doesn't give much ap but its still a small bonus, things like deadliness, sunder, brute force and lethality are just there so you can get havoc.(really its a slight advantage)the points in burning embers and improved rally give you the benifits of your summoner spells. The rest is just slight advantage, if you wanted heal and maybe dodge or armor/magic resist go ahead and put the rest of the points in defense, doesn't really matter much.
Runebook
Marks 9 "Greater Mark of Insight" +0.95magic penetration each = 8.55!
Glyph 9 "Glyphs 9 "Greater Glyph of Insight" +0.57magic penetration each = 5.13 !
Seals 9 "Greater Seal of Focus" +0.29%cooldown each = %2.61!
Quintessences 3 "Greater Quintessence of Insight" +1.89magic penetration each = 5.67!
Our Total effect = +19.35magic penetration and +%2.61!

Quote:
Straight magic pen will make you penetrate 40magic resist with sorcerer's boots giving you the advantage against those enemys that don't build magic resist items, but add it with voidstaff and you'll be dishing 55% more against those with higher end magic resist. The cooldown runes are just a slight refresh on all spells, nothing more.
Early game tips
Barrel Roll the enemy occasionaly if they aren't going to regen or heal at all, making them waste their HP pots is as critical as pushing your lane and having the advantage in minion count during a lane fight.

Mid game tips
No realy tips here that need to be said, I wouldn't recommend ganking till late game because gragas is pretty slow moving around till he gets something like lichbane. Basicly I recommend pushing your lane and keeping it distracted while still dodging enemy ganks.

Late game tips
Roll with your team or gank on your own, I'd recommend rolling with your team because they need you more and soloing as gragas isn't that easy, hes got a pretty average cooldown refresh on all his ability power spells, so you want to just harass till an aggressive fight, then pull explosive cask to nock an enemy or two into your group of friendlies.

Video gameplay
coming soon...(Yes I understand people wish to see my videos, but there are factors against doing it currently at this time.)

Extra thoughts
Best combos with Gragas seem to be anyone with good damage early to late game, don't try laning with someone that doesn't have enough damage like alistar or Yi, they won't put out as much damage as someone like Gangplank or Fiddlesticks.

~Wall of shame
Inept,sniperness,sAviOrZelda,killd0zer,Greenthumbz ,LORDMERLIN69,Grim Moniker,

If you liked this guide take a look at my other guides -
Nasus_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=173911
Shaco_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=25473
Nidalee_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=37420
Zilean_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=43341
Teemo_
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?p=650921

Balonar

02-03-2010

Phil stone? Really? He's got built-in HP and Mana Regen, and buying an item that turns into something useful late-game + a pot is a lot more time efficient. Sure Phil Stone will get you some gold, but Gragas doesn't have an issue farming minions.

And Soulstealer? Gragas is definitely not a solo ganker. He can assist well and might be able to steal a kill once in a while, but he's not a "roam the map ganking" character. His burst his awful, his attack speed is sloooooooooow, and the cooldown on his Q is far too long to be able to "spam" it (not to mention the telegraph + delay). Stacking AP means his Ult can do some AoE nuke damage, but it's not going to net him multikills.

IMHO building a RoA ASAP is the best route for him. It increases his hefty HP, gives him more mana to play with, and provides useful AP to stack onto his Q and R. Getting a mana gem + mana pot first will let him stay in-lane and harass until level 6, where he might be able to help out with a kill.

After that getting either Sorc Shoes or Speed 3 boots to help his fat butt move around, then a Nashor's or a Rylai's. Mid-to-Late game he's all teamfight utility.

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-03-2010

Garg's kidna fun, but he's a soft tank like blitz. Less burst, but that barrel throw is a great initiator and disorganizing the enemy.

allistrom

Adjudicator

02-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balonar View Post
Phil stone? Really? He's got built-in HP and Mana Regen, and buying an item that turns into something useful late-game + a pot is a lot more time efficient. Sure Phil Stone will get you some gold, but Gragas doesn't have an issue farming minions.

And Soulstealer? Gragas is definitely not a solo ganker. He can assist well and might be able to steal a kill once in a while, but he's not a "roam the map ganking" character. His burst his awful, his attack speed is sloooooooooow, and the cooldown on his Q is far too long to be able to "spam" it (not to mention the telegraph + delay). Stacking AP means his Ult can do some AoE nuke damage, but it's not going to net him multikills.

IMHO building a RoA ASAP is the best route for him. It increases his hefty HP, gives him more mana to play with, and provides useful AP to stack onto his Q and R. Getting a mana gem + mana pot first will let him stay in-lane and harass until level 6, where he might be able to help out with a kill.

After that getting either Sorc Shoes or Speed 3 boots to help his fat butt move around, then a Nashor's or a Rylai's. Mid-to-Late game he's all teamfight utility.
agree w entire post frustratingly low hp for a "tank" and geting a PS wont help this at all, and on top of that i have rarely had mana problems even when casting as much as possible in the games i have played w him, ROA as fast as possible w swiftness seemed to work well, and just messing around 2 ROA was even better. freind got a locket alot, which also helps with teamfights considering if you dont just mass all your spells in like 2 seconds you can pretty steadily cast spells to help out your team

MightyBolamite

02-03-2010

Have you thought of an all cd item build? Start with like Haunting Visage and just add more and more cd.
I'm going to be trying it a bit myself.

All GUCCI Bro

02-03-2010

so his Item Build is wrong but what about the other info..and btw ROA..takes a while to make..and getting a Cata..is kinda long to..i wanna start off in the early game pwning..or doing well..Gragas does great in the Early Game..but tends to slow down in the Mid-Late..but kud some1 revise what he came up with and make a better Step By Step Item Build..please

Grovel

02-03-2010

Love to see a video of an effective Gragas. Saw a lot of successful Pantheon play last night, but Gragas was nearly laughed out of every champ selection I was in last night.

Balonar

02-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz GUCCI View Post
so his Item Build is wrong but what about the other info..and btw ROA..takes a while to make..and getting a Cata..is kinda long to..i wanna start off in the early game pwning..or doing well..Gragas does great in the Early Game..but tends to slow down in the Mid-Late..but kud some1 revise what he came up with and make a better Step By Step Item Build..please
Mana Gem + Mana Pot
Buy HP Gem -> Catalyst
Boots 1
Finish RoA
Finish Boots of Swiftness
Start whatever next item you want. I personally like Rylai's for even more added team utility.

Remember that RoA is most effective the earlier you buy it. Rushing it should be a priority.

All GUCCI Bro

02-03-2010

for runes i was thinking about going Atck dmg and AP..with a few CD runes..that Charge move is serious business..setups easy kills for your Lane Partner..and for my Next item prolly would build for Frozen Heart..what do you think??

Melph

02-03-2010

I think starting with Sheen to do a Trinity or Lich Bane seem to be item that fit Gragas play style. I would start with Rejuvenation Bead or Vampiric Scepter to build an Emblem of Valor to eventually upgrade to Stark's Fervor.

So items would look like:

Vampiric Scepter/Rejuvenation Bead
Emblem
Boots
Sheen
Boots of Mobility
Trinity
Starks
Whatever you need at that point.

I think that would be a solid item build to help the group.

12345 ... 8