LOL Replay - In game replay system!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Julian

02-07-2011

Well i'm downloading the client on my laptop atm and i'll test it asap.

Lightsaga

02-07-2011

I want to believe D:!

Then I can QQ at Riot for being beaten by one of it's players in creating replays before them.

Kuranes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2011

If it's just from your team's POV...so, as thought it were from your own POV, were you playing the game...

Might you not just as well be using FRAPS, or any other image-capturing recorder? It's not really a game replay system unless you can see all of what's occurring, so as to learn from the entire game, inclusive of things you couldn't see while it was being played.

voiceboxed

02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haxalot View Post
There are some temporary measures in place for handling this. Each LOL versions exe is backed up, and version numbers are stored in each replay file. The replay is then opened with the corresponding exe. I have started some work on creating binary diffs, so that these backups are smaller, however I have only been developing this for a couple of weeks (since ~ version 1.0.0.108) so we'll see how it holds up.

Omniphage: Basically, it records network traffic that is sent to the game (in case that makes you paranoid, it does not listen to any other traffic, just the game, not even the lobby client or anywhere you enter login information). Then in order to replay a game, it creates a local server, and tells the client to connect to that. The server then replays all the network traffic back to the client. There are a few other subtlety needed to make this process work smoothly, but thats the general gist of it.
If you actually are successfully manipulating memory locations (which you're not, beyond maybe those of keypresses), Riot would like to have a word with you.

cantol

02-07-2011

Testing it now..

supermegabrobro

02-07-2011

riot, hire this man.

SFL Gillias

02-07-2011

The sad thing about potential "hacks" or keyloggers or anything else suspicious is you need a decent machine to run LoL and test this thing's legitimacy. I would gladly risk my laptop because I'm upgrading it in a few weeks anyways, but I can't even run LoL to test it.

Haxalot

02-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobli View Post
Well, the replays Riot has taken so long to implement are supposed to include backwards compatibility with previous patches. I doubt that this will have that.

Then again I'm not sure if Riot will ever finish theirs.
Replays should remain compatible, as explained in my previous post. Without at least some kind of backward compatibility, replays are fairly pointless...

Quangsen

02-07-2011

Hmmm testing

cantol

02-07-2011

said it was recording, and said it finished recording, but I got nothing?