[Guide] Rammus the Magic Pinball

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsherZaine

01-21-2010

Seems like a real cool rammus build I just cant get around to leveling powerball over any of his other skills. I know its the best skill that scales with ap but still. I would just have to try it but i am having to much **** fun with amumu right now

ExtraPulp

01-21-2010

I love this build. been toying with AP Rammus for a bit.

just wanted to stop in and mention that both Alistair's headbutt and pound abilities have 1:1 AP scaling.

MBirk

01-21-2010

Neat idea.

Here are some problems.

1. thornmail. 2000g
Returns 25% of damage taken. This is pre-armor.
Stacking ap for def curl. Basically, does what this single item does better.
http://leaguecraft.com/item/Thornmail
And 100armor adds to your tanking, and 25 damage to your attack.
25% of a pre armor 300 yi/trist/twitch hit is 75 damage returned. You needed 300 ap to do that. Ap would be more stable vs those less geared though.
2. Sunfire vs ap for tremors.
Sunfire is awesome. it gives hp, armor, and the 40dps.
That hp scales his innate survival with his def curl. Armor adds to that as well, and damage.
40 aoe is smaller then tremors aoe. but still requires 160ap per to match in that smaller aoe.

Both of these effect taunt in the same way.

Ap for powerball is nice. sure enough.

Arai Kitsune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

Alright, we never did manage to work it out for ourselves, but conveniently, this guy did manage to find out a formula for the cost effectiveness of armour and magic resist versus health. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=29398

Alright, now Mbirk, nothing in this guide states that going for items like thornmail are bad, they're just not always a part of this type of build. In fact, buying one thornmail along with most of this build would be even more effective as you would be getting much more damage return overall. Part of why it isn't included as a standard item is that in terms of actual mitigation, ths build gives plenty, but you could argue that against a carry based team, thornmail would be essential.

Now, for sunfire versus tremors, there are a few things to keep in mind. The first is, it does have very ncie AP scaling, and a very low cooldown. Secondarily, it has a much larger AoE than the sunfire AoE. And third, it also deals damage to buildings, this has been reduced since they were given magic resistance, but even so, it is still a sizeable amount, and AP helps this. One of the problems with sunfire capes is, they are difficult to build up, and not completely cost efficient, if I recall correctly. The range is also another problem. The last problem though, is that AP scales with all of his abilities save for his taunt, and armour and HP are well covered to begin with.

And as noted, yes, powerball is effective with AP. What makes it most effective is that it is AoE, a flash powerball into multiple enemies is devestating, and sets up your other three skills. Pushing wins games, and AP is better for that, and AoE wins teamfights, and AP Rammus is better for that. Carries cannot build much survivability without sacrificing effectiveness, so AP Rammus, by doing much more damage while not really sacrificing any survivability, in fact maintaining more, is a bigger threat to them than usual, as well as being a threat to the entire enemy team, serving his role as a tank in that sense.

Bloodba7h

01-26-2010

Very fun looking build. Can't wait for a free Rammus week now!

Crazy Demon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2010

Wow. It's a **** good thing you didn't put "AP Build" in your title, otherwise I would never have read this rather convincing argument. As soon as I finish one play through Mass Effect 2 (just released :O), I'm definitely trying out this guide.

Naesala

01-27-2010

My, my seems like some other people read this too, guess it can't be helped (I read it last week or so) but it's true ap rammus really is superior than a normal one (atleast in my opinion).

However it would be nice if you had told the ap ratio for the people though.

powerball got 1:1ap as you know. The defense curl thingy got a ap ratio at 0,25:1ap and tremor well it got around 0,3:1ap (8sec means a total around 2,4:1ap ratio).

I just wanted to reply that this build worked too well for me, I'm just curious how things would go if a rammus would show up with 1k ap (the maximum amount that someone can get is about 1,1-1,2k or something, some champs can get more), that would mean a 1,3k powerball hit, 300% damage return when defense curl is up and tremor well lets say it would kill anyone in your way (reffering to maxed abilities) but I guess around a total of 3-4k damage just with a full tremor, if that rammus would have 1k ap that's.

Have a nice time.

TyrannisUmbra

Recruiter

01-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naesala View Post
My, my seems like some other people read this too, guess it can't be helped (I read it last week or so) but it's true ap rammus really is superior than a normal one (atleast in my opinion).

However it would be nice if you had told the ap ratio for the people though.

powerball got 1:1ap as you know. The defense curl thingy got a ap ratio at 0,25:1ap and tremor well it got around 0,3:1ap (8sec means a total around 2,4:1ap ratio).

I just wanted to reply that this build worked too well for me, I'm just curious how things would go if a rammus would show up with 1k ap (the maximum amount that someone can get is about 1,5k or something, some champs can get more), that would mean a 1,3k powerball hit, 300% damage return when defense curl is up and tremor well lets say it would kill anyone in your way (reffering to maxed abilities) but I guess around a total of 3-4k damage just with a full tremor, if that rammus would have 1k ap that's.

Have a nice time.
That info was already in the guide, under the list of the actual skills. Also, that would be something to see, but it wouldn't really be that viable, since you'd be a glass cannon, even as someone as tanky as Rammus.

Kennetth

01-27-2010

I tried my own AP rammus idea and failed, but I think yours is a lot better so I am definetely going to be trying this out soon, and by soon i mean spring break when i go home to LoL again =P

Redtah

01-27-2010

This sounds to me like AP sion, great early game for farming but then terrible end game unless you absolutely massacre early game.

I guess I'll have to give it a try.

123456 ... 7