League of Legends- Modding Guide for colour blind gamers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stimmedcows

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2010

atm I am just recommending you to go install Razieh's color blind mod. There are some trick with healthbars.tga which he isn't currently on top of (June 2011) but I explained how to fix it yourself on one of my forum posts. Hell, he probably fixed it by now. Check back sometime and see if he hasn't yet.

Razieh's mod:

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=325724

Go here for colorblind fixes.

---------------------
preserved for archive:

I am a red-green colour blind gamer, and like many, I had searched for a guide or something to alleviate the problems caused by the interface. The information presented here is already in the forums; what I am doing is centralizing it to make it easy to find. I didn't write any of this myself. This guide is up to date as of January 2010's Poppy-patch, although these tricks have worked for some time. Although we expect major patches may break them again, you should be able to just follow the guide through again and get it back to a playable state. The thing most likely to change is the locations of the files.

Search tags: colorblind colorblindness color blindness minion red green red-green

The guide breaks down into eventually three sections:

1. minimap / nametag colour changes ........ we will be changing red to blue
2. health bar modding ....................... friendly green to yellow, enemy red to purple
3. minion skins (we haven't agreed on a colour scheme yet)

So, once again, remember that this information may change across patches, but as of right now its working.

BACK UP YOUR FILES JUST IN CASE! THIS IS NOT AN OPTION!

1. minimap/nametag

Credit to Xylch (I think)
Original post: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=28652

minimap

This places a blue border around the friendly minimap icons, and a red border around enemy ones.

- Navigate to location: C://Riot Games/League of Legends/game/DATA/CFG/Game.cfg ..this file is created after you've played game, so if you don't have it, play a game first. There is another Game.CFG file inside the "defaults" folder. This is NOT the right file.
- Open this file using notepad
- Add the following lines under the [HUD] label:

Code:
[HUD]
LockCamera=0
DrawHealthBars=0
FriendlyColor=0 0 255
EnemyColor=255 0 0
[MouseOverEffect]
EnemyColor = 255 50 50
AllyColor = 50 150 50
Dec 2010 update: seems like now you do have to change the one in the defaults folder to get this to work.

nametag

This will make the friendly names white and the enemy names grey on your screen. Necessary for discerning friend from foe during team fights.

Credit to Reyl:
-navigate to C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\CFG
-create a new text document at this location
-copy and paste following into this empty file
Code:
FriendlyColor=255 255 255
EnemyColor=0 0 0
[MouseOverEffect]
EnemyColor = 255 50 50
AllyColor = 50 150 50
-save the text document as GamePermanent.cfg

2. health bar modding

Credit to HappyNihil
Original thread: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ead.php?t=6543

- Download the file "healthbars.tga", attached at the bottom of this post
- Navigate to location: C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\Images
- put it in here

What this does is changes friendly health bars to yellow and enemy health bars to purple, very distinguishable colours. It may seem like an odd choice but the two contrast very well and is very refreshing for last hit and harassment purposes.

Dec 2010 update: not sure if this is the right healthbars.tga for the job anymore, I'll wait and see the responses.
May 2011 update... no longer working through main client. You need to get ACE client (www.ace-client.net) which has the old folder structure, or do it through Itzwarty's skin manager mod, or download a client from the forum that some guy has pre-packed. I'd recommend go with ACE client as they actually support colorblind well enough that you dont have to download any files or unpack folders to get the healthbars fixed.

3. minion skins

TBA - EncasedShadow is exploring this. It may be in a response below before long. Presently being discussed in happynihil's thread above and some have been submitted already. It is not included in this guide because they don't seem to help colorblindness in the present scheme.

View example.JPG to see how things look before you dive in.

Trebby

01-24-2010

Stick please ~

DeadRamza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-24-2010

good one dude

Phoxly

01-24-2010

There was something like this back in beta someone actually made a color blind mode you added onto the game... I can't find the thread though.

CNOC

01-25-2010

THIS IS AWESOME!
Just had my first game with it and it's AMAZING! THANKS!!

RubbberDucky

01-25-2010

I did this and it rocks but now my sound doesnt work....

stimmedcows

01-26-2010

You might've accidentally disabled it by making a mistake in the Game.CFG edit. Just replace it with your backup if you can't use the in-game interface to turn it back on.

RubbberDucky

01-27-2010

Nevermind, rebooted and all was normal... What is this game built off of? I know Adobe Air is a glitchy son of a gun from what I have seen thus far, and I get a few GUI glitches in game as well...

Khamo

01-28-2010

nice work, thanx.

a friend of mine is color-blind. she'll be happy for this.

Chapp

01-28-2010

Thanks Kanizier for putting this all in one place. I've found all of these workarounds separately, the nametag color change one came out during beta. However, I will say that the nametag color change also does not stick across patches, or at least it never has for me.

It sucks having two of any single hero run into the screen, and not knowing which one to help. By the time I hit Tab and glance at my team, too many things can have happened.

How blatantly Riot ignored or chose to directly insult the colorblind gamers with their color scheme is appalling to me. When you think about the percentage of people that have colorblindness, chances are there's one in every 5v5 match. Why these fixes weren't released or at least bumped/stickied/promoted by Riot is beyond me too. Still, the game is free to play and free to mod so I shouldn't be complaining. I understand they wanted to distance themselves from DotA, but what was wrong with red and white?