Mac Users

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Addfwyn

01-15-2010

A Cider port would probably work for most people, Cider-ized games aren't necessarily the best ports, have been plagued with problems (EVE Online is an example of a client running in Cider) but a lot of people (myself included) would be more than content with a Cider client. I understand priorities may differ, but it's a relatively easy procedure compared to porting a full native client over.

In the meantime, I will use Boot Camp of course, and enjoy LoL and all the work put into it. However, I am greatly limited in playtime by the procedure of switching to windows. (most of my media, work, photos for work etc are all on my mac partition). Additionally, I cannot get my bluetooth mouse/keyboard to work in Windows for some reason, so have to also switch mice and keyboard every reboot.

Just a tip, as LameSaint pointed out. I'll buy some stuff for real USD in the LoL store, even though I don't need it, the day that even a Cider Mac client comes out to support mac development. You can hold me to that promise :P.

Kungaloosh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeren View Post
I have tried alot of the things to my mac and most of it work well and im on an macbook crossover etc.. i havent had any problems with it since it is such a light game..

If you arent a genious a easy way is to simply split your HD and make a 20gb windows you can play lol on xp or anything would work (bear in mind on your split that you cant use the 20 gb in Mac and that Windows itself fills up 10-15 gb)

Just found this link it sums it up quite nice
http://echoone.com/da/filejuicer/formats/exe

The link shows what programs that can open the exe file needed for installing the game any of the programs could give alot of problems especially because LoL is a beta
I know Bootcamp works...
I think some1 here could confirm Crossover (brilliant program) works in alot of i games havent tested it on LoL
I know Fusion works (should only be used on mac with loads of Ram space since it really fills em up)
Havent tested the others
Crossover, Crossover Games, and wine can't run the game. you can actually install the game but the 3 programs have problems when running Adobe Air(the 3 programs use Xcode)

Kungaloosh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapermaster View Post
can only play on a mac if you use bootcamp.
I don't think Mac users like the idea of after spending their money on a Macintosh(wich cost almost double than the equivalent PC Windows) they will end up using windows anyway...

Kungaloosh

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japtch View Post
So I have to own a Windows installation disk in order to play LoL?

I have a 3000 dollar mac, and I intend to use it's abilities for my entertainment. Entertainment being League of Legends.
Agree, looks like Riot games forgets that if you want to install Windows on a computer you actually have to own a Windows CD.

Kungaloosh

01-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
Riot has expressed interest in making a Mac version in the future. If you'd prefer that they put pretty much their entire development team on that now, you can put off draft mode, replays, ranked mode, bugfixing, and any other mechanic development for an ADDITIONAL 3-6 months as they rewrite everything to work with an entirely different set of APIs.

They have priorities. Mac is one of them. Unfortunately for Mac users, it's quite far down because A: They can use Bootcamp at the moment, and B: there are many things more important to handle first.

KISSinator: You can use Bootcamp to play -right now-. Look up a couple posts for an explanation if you are confused how. There will not be a Mac client in the short term. Sorry for the inconvenience .
Bootcamp is not a solution. Bootcamp requieres a windows cd installer. Therefore mac users need to buy one so that they can install it and play the game. Thats very expensive solution if you ask me.

and by the way...From what i've seen, those more important things that you are talking about is adding more heroes skins?

because i've seen a lot of threads about that and non of an future mac version.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

01-18-2010
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Riot appreciates your concern, and has Mac slated at a (much) later date. They are a small startup company. Their -total- staff (including PR, management, and other non-engineers) is a bit above 50. Compare to Blizzard (which so generously includes Mac support in their games) with an -engineer/developer- staff of 30+ -PER GAME-. This is many times times the raw manpower of Riot. Riot has a list of priorities: Mac is on them, but unfortunately it is not high in the list. This is especially because Bootcamp is a current option.

As for requiring a windows CD, I must confess I am unfamiliar with Macs/Bootcamp personally, but I was under the impression that you didn't need a code. I could easily be wrong, or the person could have been accidentally (or purposefully) pirating it. I don't know.

As for skins vs other things: Riot has engineers, they have artists, they have other staff. Engineers code the goodies, artists draw them. I have a feeling you'd be very upset with the quality of your Mac port if Riot assigned its artists to code it.

Again, I appreciate what you're saying, and understand why Mac users might feel disenfranchised that Riot isn't especially accommodating of them. Please keep in mind that Riot has really limited resources and is doing its best to please the most of its customers at the same time. Right now, the community (including many, many bootcamp users) is demanding other things first. It will get done, but you will have to wait a considerable amount of time for it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

secretagentduck

Senior Recruiter

01-20-2010

I have bootcamped, because I managed to score a very cheap version of windows vista (legally purchased). It took me a long time to get the game up and running for various reasons. But now I have a big problem. Everytime a game starts my LoL gives me an error stating that my graphic card or drivers do not support shader model 2.0. Is there any way to update the mac's video card drivers on windows so that I can play? I've already gone through so much trouble for this to fail now.

I have the first generation macbook, running mac osx 10.4.11

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

01-20-2010
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Shader 2.0 isn't something that can be updated to. The card either supports the technology, or it doesn't. I have heard of people "tricking" their computer into thinking the card is shader 2.0, when it isn't, but I'm not familiar with doing this (and I can't recommend it).

Kungaloosh

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretagentduck View Post
I have bootcamped, because I managed to score a very cheap version of windows vista (legally purchased). It took me a long time to get the game up and running for various reasons. But now I have a big problem. Everytime a game starts my LoL gives me an error stating that my graphic card or drivers do not support shader model 2.0. Is there any way to update the mac's video card drivers on windows so that I can play? I've already gone through so much trouble for this to fail now.

I have the first generation macbook, running mac osx 10.4.11
All your mac drivers are un you Mac Os X installation disc. When running Windows, insert the cd, Right-click on the CD and select Explore. open the folder that says BootCamp and click the setup button. It should fix the problem.

*Note* This only works on Windows Vista. If you have Windows XP you'll need to install the Service Pack 2 to be able to run the installer.

Kungaloosh

01-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozrael View Post
Riot appreciates your concern, and has Mac slated at a (much) later date. They are a small startup company. Their -total- staff (including PR, management, and other non-engineers) is a bit above 50. Compare to Blizzard (which so generously includes Mac support in their games) with an -engineer/developer- staff of 30+ -PER GAME-. This is many times times the raw manpower of Riot. Riot has a list of priorities: Mac is on them, but unfortunately it is not high in the list. This is especially because Bootcamp is a current option.

As for requiring a windows CD, I must confess I am unfamiliar with Macs/Bootcamp personally, but I was under the impression that you didn't need a code. I could easily be wrong, or the person could have been accidentally (or purposefully) pirating it. I don't know.

As for skins vs other things: Riot has engineers, they have artists, they have other staff. Engineers code the goodies, artists draw them. I have a feeling you'd be very upset with the quality of your Mac port if Riot assigned its artists to code it.

Again, I appreciate what you're saying, and understand why Mac users might feel disenfranchised that Riot isn't especially accommodating of them. Please keep in mind that Riot has really limited resources and is doing its best to please the most of its customers at the same time. Right now, the community (including many, many bootcamp users) is demanding other things first. It will get done, but you will have to wait a considerable amount of time for it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Then instead of making a mac version of the game, can at least get it to work on Wine?
I have Wine Bottle and i can actually install the game. The problem is at the end of the installation when tries to install Adobe Air and DirectX. Plus Wine is free and it would help Linux users too.