How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Graedow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-19-2010

Is it possible to create a simple programm or something that chooses the champions random?

If every week the setup would be like this (or something like this):
Mage: 2
Tank: 2
Melee dps: 3
Support: 1
Ranged dps: 2

It could check for new champions first, which will be free that week and choose random from all the champions that are left.

Because I don't think it will be nice to have a pattern in which champions that will be available that week, I think that gets boring, and this way you'll have a balanced line-up every week without getting boring.

Just a thought..

-Graedow

Kaydos

01-19-2010

Question: When draft mode is implemented will you increase the number of champs in a rotation?

Because (if Im correct) people just starting would be very limited to their champ selection...because its 10 champs, 5 v5 with no duplicates on either side meaning some newer people would have very few options. Just curious. Cheers.

Bombad

01-19-2010

I read a post when somebody said you will probably have to unlock 20 champions+ (free rotation also count) and choose 20 of them (so you aren't penalised for unlocking champs you don't like) for -ar mode. I don't remember if it was a dev/council/emissary post or just a good idea but it'll probably be something like that for drafts.

JackCrow

Adjudicator

01-19-2010

I think that new champions being free the first week can go either way,

If you give them the first week free you give every one a demo period with the champ, it may make for more overall sales (IP Included)

If you dont It rewards your paying customers more, for having that exclusive before anyone else does. So it ultimately comes down to PR vs. Profit

I can see why not all new champs would be free.

Azurethunder

01-21-2010

i personally think recommended characters should be put on only. With exceptions to new releases, who are on for 2 weeks for balancing. This prevents problems like having to fight twitch every single game. If enough people have a problem put a character up for a week for balancing.

ChaoticLusts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2010

*edit* fail I'd swapped topics without realizing this is in the wrong post sorry all

Zeekji

01-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurethunder View Post
i personally think recommended characters should be put on only. With exceptions to new releases, who are on for 2 weeks for balancing. This prevents problems like having to fight twitch every single game. If enough people have a problem put a character up for a week for balancing.
I disagree with the recommend champions on rotation only, however I agree with the new champion releases on the rotation for balance reasons. I would also like to see champions with major changes (e.g. Udyr nerf, Poppy nerf, etc.) on the rotation as well to see how they balance on live servers, since not everyone has access to the test realms.

thriondil

01-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao View Post
Personally I'm looking forward to the week of April 1st, when they run 10 yordles.
+1. Do it Riot!

Or change all the default skins of everyone to Yordles. Something awesome please

Uaica

01-22-2010

I would like to see the random select choose from all heroes not just the ones that are unlocked or free that week. Once random is chosen it locks your choice so you can redo masteries and choose your rune page. So you could in effect have an unlimited number of free champs every week.

How many people actually use the random champ select anyway? This may put it into use a little. Especially with newer accounts that don't have any champs unlocked.

Anabiel

01-22-2010

ok, will karthus or anivia be free soon?
cause it seems like they cost the most and are uaually played alot when there free but are hardly ever free