Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zell333

01-12-2011

LOL i just figured out how many posts there actually are..its alot!

sleepyaaron

01-12-2011

I would really enjoy a Mafia Boss Ezreal Skin :3

Ezreal

Pre Production Champion Designer

01-12-2011
103 of 320 Riot Posts

Replies to pages 196-200. And sorry for skipping any Caitlyn questions, as most of them were answered after she was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageKilling View Post
Will be there a MALE gun user? I dont want a human, just male.
There are no plans for any gun champions currently, though there may be another one some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uz Le Legend View Post
Do you have any plans for Swain or Le Blanc in the near future?
We believe that they are both in a good place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCchiefs View Post
Are taric nerfs incoming? please say no

Are ez buffs incoming? ^.^

jax buffs?
No, no, and nope =-P. I would like to hit EZ again in the nearish future, but I've had too much on my plate recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtart Chow View Post
When we will we finally get new emissaries? I have a pretty good resume:
Guides on demand
The original mentor
Basic tips guide
Ask me anything thread

Please note I've been active helping new players since the end of May.
I'm afraid I have nothing to do with the Emissaries, check with the community team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Wow Ez, props for keeping with this thread. As a fellow dev, I know how hard that can be. Figured I'd jot down some of my thoughts on Malzahar.

Malzahar

Love the champ, definitely my most played. Wish he had a better skin (or new particles on his other skins (i.e. fire / shadow on vizier / shadow prince).
  1. Voidlings: I've started really trying to incorporate a malefic visions guided frenzied voidling in my gank attempts (especially in the laning phase), but they're kind of hit and miss. You only have a 15 second window to hit where "everything is lined up" as it were.
    • Suggestion: Thoughts on making his voidling continue to live as long as malz casts spells (i.e. it dies if he doesn't cast anything for 10 sec)? Could even make it power up as spells are cast near them (instead of being time-based). It keeps in void theme like Kassadin's force pulse, allows you to "grow" them (cast spells), and allows you to keep a raised frenzy voidling around in team fights at at critical times, at the possible expense of burning through your mana if you tried to keep it around for too long. Would probably have to limit it to one voidling total.
  2. Nether Grasp: Super fun spell to use, although the ability to move out of it is a double edged sword. Abort that gank a split second too late and you've burned your ult and are in cool-down.
    • Suggestion: Thoughts on scaling it's cool-down based on how long the spell actually cast? i.e. if you cast less than half, you get 50% cooldown as opposed to the full thing. Could give some neat utility to break channels where a kill isn't really possible.

Actually, thinking about it, here's a few more ideas.
  1. Customize Recommended Items Tab. Ability to customize the items showed in the recommended items tab for each champion. I hate having to go through a whole bunch of screens to pick the kit I use almost all the time with Malzahar (RoA - ArchStaff - Speed boots). I don't use any items from the recommended tab other than Doran's Ring.
  2. Rune Caster / Support Champion. Each ability creates a visible rune object which causes effects in a radius around it (No skill-shot or targeted spells). Only one of each type of Rune can be active, and runes can be attacked and destroyed. Kit = Rune of Slowness, Rune of Strength, Rune of Healing, Rune of Agony (some near proxy farming capabilities here)
  3. Spell Breaker Champion. Breaks and transfers status effects.
    Spell Swap - Transfers a status effect (stun, slow, silence) from an ally to the nearest hostile target and does damage. If no target is near, transfers the status effect to himself.
    Spell Shatter (ult) - Does point blank AoE damage. If he's suffering from a status effect (slow, stun, silence), does bonus damage and transfers the effect to nearby hostile targets.
Voidling: Pretty neat idea. I wouldn't change it now that the character has been out for so long. But perhaps we will have a pet champion interact like that in the future.
Nether Grasp: I've considered this a number of times, however, I continue coming back to the same problem. If we did this I would want to consistify the change with all other channeling spells. And since I am not certain that this change would be perfect, I am hesitant to put the time sink into it.
Item Tab: We've wanted this forever, give it time (a LOT of time =-P).
Rune Champ: Also in the pipe, though it recently got indefinitely postponed.
Spell Breaker: Honestly, these types of champions are realllllly hard to make due to the potential weird interactions with spells. While it is very cool, I would avoid doing something like this due to the shear time investment (the time to cool ratio doesn't match).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Justice View Post
Whoīs your next champ in the pipe?
A super secret champion is next up for me, and I'm afraid I can't talk about him until the community team does =-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotarukin View Post
-If- you are making a plant champion (for example, a plant queen) I'd like to suggest an ability: Demacian Rosebrush (name could be changed, just reminded me of Garen). Think something along the lines of a Sunfire Cape on targeted brush (or creating the brush itself) If champions are too close to it, it damages them, and hinders vision for them in the latter case. Also maybe supplies vision like a Teemo shroom
This ability is actually more problematic than you might expect. Imagine being a ranged character in this brush fighting vs a melee character. The melee character has to close, rarely sees you, and is constantly damaged when he finally closes. I do admit that it might work if placed on a melee champion, but it brings a lot of detrimental effects to the game. I'm sure we'll keep trying it out, but right now I'm slightly jaded after trying it out on Caitlyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael96 View Post
Hey Ezreal,
I have noticed a problem with Pantheons ult. Usually it will show that warnng ring thing that is either green or red, however i have found that some people cannot see it (myself included). I was wondering if this has something to do with te actuall game or just the way we have our graphics set?
Thanks

BTW: HIGH FIVE
Not sure, I know that we just updated the spell to show the green ring even earlier for the allied team. Though I have heard that LoL can have issues on lower graphics settings. I'll look into.

High Five =-D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianetics View Post
holy **** you're still replying to this thread? Poor *******.
Yea...pity me, haha =-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal Jr View Post
Would you consider changing Alpha Strike (Master Yi) from AP and magic dmg to AD and physical dmg?
AND
Would you consider changing shaco's JitB and Clone from magic to physical as well? he would become epic (like brolaf)
If Master Yi were to be made today then Alpha Strike probably would have dealt physical damage. However, now that he has been well established for over a year, I would be hesitant to make this change. There is a large following of AP Yi out there that this would piss off. And although we did not make Yi to be AP, we are more than happy that our player base found a unique way to play the champion.

Same thing with Shaco, there are AP Shaco's out there as well. I hope this fills you in a bit even if it doesn't give you what you wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selios View Post
Ez, I believe Morello said something about Aeon/Tempus being a girl, can you confirm if said character has gotten a gender switch?
Show me the thread =-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertGhoul View Post
Doh, on my previous post when I said Pantheon's Aegis, I meant to say HSS.

"Also, with Pantheon can you change HEARTSEEKER to scale off of bonus AD instead of total AD? Just make it like 55-60% instead of 40 and remove his base damage from the formula. This way Pantheon has to actually try in lane versus squishies."
I actually didn't know that Heartseeker worked that way. I agree that it should work on bonus AD. I'll toss the idea around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzakuCMX View Post
How do you feel about the new Haruhi movie?
Can't say I've seen any of the series =-P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenel View Post
To be fair, Shaco has a slow, a DoT, a clone, a blink, stealth, traps, and two moves that can pop projectiles.

And maybe attack speed or damage % buff for the clones at 2/4?
Yes, and to be fair I think Shaco is over-saturated in effects =-P. As for the buff % options, I would go with one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salien View Post
I've wondered about this; long channels are basically a self-hard-disable that you can break at any time. Have you thought about doing something similar with a self-soft-disable? Something like you use an ability, and it roots yourself (but you can still use other abilities and attack) while it does X to an enemy for Y seconds; you can activate the ability again to end your own root and end whatever X is doing to the enemy.

It feels like something like this could be more exciting than channeling; you're not sitting there doing nothing for a few seconds, but you _are_ more vulnerable since you can't move, as a price for X being a bit more powerful or Y a bit longer. And you still have the ability to opt out of being disabled at any time.
I actually like Channeling effects as it allows us to place more power in the spell because it has that detrimental effect. That being said, I also like a smaller detrimental effect (the soft channel), we intend to do something like that some day. Personally I would like to see a state change ult where it roots you and repeatedly fires nukes at nearby enemy targets, while you can still use your other spells (think katarina's ult with more control).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbank View Post
Ezreal do you have any plans in changing Lux's Q and E cooldowns in the future. I like to main Lux and she is the most fun character I have yet to play. Her W and R spells are perfect but I feel that with the Q and E spells being very long cooldowns even with CDR + blue buff. After I use all my spells I feel like I have to sit there and do nothing for a little while. Any ideas on changing it?
I'm afraid not, one is a hard disable while another is a soft disable. Unfortunately having a champion with two disables like these makes it necessary to place a higher cooldown on them. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0shi View Post
Lovely to see the active responses to the community from yourself and others... But I did have a couple of questions of my own :P.
Are stealth-granting items (even if conditional or very short duration) likely after the rework?
Is there any thoughts about changing knock-up effects to be more escapable (cc reduction, cleanse/qss-able etc)? I find them far more infuriating than stuns, these days, but perhaps that's just due to their greater prevelance/use as part of an already bursty character's kit.
Stealth granting items could be possible with the remake, where as we never would have done them before. However, we currently have no plans on making them in the near future.

As for knock up spells, we have considered different items that affect them (think: Concrete Shoes). Though these items would rarely be good in a game. I want to figure out a way to make these knock up effects affected by CC reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Man View Post
Are there any plans to change/buff a few of the relatively useless passives? Like Twisted Fate's bonus 2 gold per kill, you need 50 kills to get 100 gold, which is about 1 ward. Most, if not all TF players would prefer something else, even if it's a TF-only gold bonus with more gold (like 5 or more). Alistar's passive isn't very good either, at least on Alistar.

Also, I think Jax needs some help too. If Jax isn't going to be given any slow or stun, he needs a way to contribute to an organized team fight. He doesn't live long, his dodge is completely unreliable, he has a hard time attacking the enemy more than once, and his Leap Strike is pretty crappy.

Leap Strike:
1) Doesn't apply on hit effects from Frozen Mallet or lizard red buff
2) It doesn't hit right away, if you click too soon, the Leap Strike is canceled, Leap Strike should be instant
3) Jax usually doesn't land anywhere near the target; he has a hard time hitting a second time to slow with Frozen Mallet or lizard red buff (because of 1), and if he's lucky enough to have counterstrike, he's sometimes not in range to hit them with it

Leap Strike should be more usable like Katarina's Shunpo, which is nearly identical in usage. That's just one part of his problem.
We used to have a large list of passives that we wanted to hit, and for some reason it went on the backlog. Perhaps we will look at them again some day. As for twisted fates. His passive is usually worth around 1200 spread across a team over the course of a game. And while that isn't great, it's pretty dang solid.

As for Jax, I'll pass on that leapstrike it doesn't apply on hit effects. As for his landing location, we are currently looking into improving move blocks for champions across the board. Wish us luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyBACON View Post
Hi Ezreal; I was thinking about flash and trying to come up with a possible solution to keep it in game and discourage using it defensively, but it requires tacking on a new mechanic and thats just complicating a simple summoner spell. Alternatively I think it could be an interesting ability for a new champ.

So, when the Champ flashes/dashes they reveal themselves to all players on the map at their new location in a flash of light applying a blind on any enemy nearby champs. The reveal and the blind should discourage them using it defensively and encourage them to use it offensively.

I know its not perfect but i thought it might be interesting to consider.
It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it solves the issue. As such, it is likely not worth adding a new effect if it doesn't solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkyn View Post
Merry christmas Ez. Always following your replies.
First some issue with cassio, I Had this problems with her in team fights, when using Q stop the champ, and doesn't let pursue the enemy champ. The idea of she being a quick champ,the opposite of anivia, is broken for this (you spam E, but when you need to use again Q, stuck in the ground)
First off, sorry that I'm not responding to your champ idea, I generally try to avoid them otherwise this thread would be full of them (though I often fail at that).

As for Cassiopeia, I agree that the Q / E combo is slightly odd to use on the run (especially in team fights), but it actually becomes second nature after doing it for awhile. In team fights always start off by seeding the battlefield with your slow pool (W), and make sure to get Rylai's to maximize effectiveness. Then use Q on people outside of the pool (as you just zoned their team out of a large area). Once you get the ms boost, continue positioning yourself to get opportunities to use E, but don't use it until you have an opening. A lot of fights with Cass involve her dashing in and out with Q/W, and only using E to go in for the kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBlackstar View Post
You know, seeing this sort of thread with actual answers makes me quite happy. I like the insight it gives and the fact that I get to learn more about internal affairs at a place that I would love to work at. The work that you guys do is great, and I want it to keep going as it is now... though maybe the map team needs some more motivation. =P I was wondering if you guys would ever actually take a player submitted champion idea and make it into an actual champion if it was good enough, and what good enough would constitute in such a situation. Also, where one would put such an idea to get it seen by a Riot employee?
Heh, I've had to answer this question a number of times. There are a number of legal problems with taking ideas from others that, as a company, we would like to avoid. Some day in the future we would like to set up a system which would allow for us to make use of these ideas in a mutually beneficial way. However, I am sure that is a far ways off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiyaShaya View Post
Hey Ezreal, hope you're enjoying the holiday season

I had some random tidbit ideas that have been kinda gnawing at me for a while...

1. Stealth issue
Possible Solution: Stealth isn't (completely) based on timers, but distance of movement. A timer -could- still exist to avoid "sit it one spot for 20 minutes" type of thing.
Understanding: How do you describe in a skill "you can move x distance", what is a fair distance to travel?
At the moment there are no "counters" to stealth that involve gameplay, its all about ludicrous amounts of gold for temporary solutions. With this type of change, players who are constantly in movement reduce the effectiveness of stealth (stealthers would need to back off + use brush more) rather than it currently being "hey i'm a stealther who will follow you around for about a minute until my team comes to gank you!"
It also makes ganking someone who has turned invisible to be a lot more feasible if you don't have an oracles, it also removes the "oh hi, you almost got me, ima go invisi while my team shows up so they know where you are (you get the picture)"
A stealth like Shaco's which is very short in duration doesn't necessarily need a change, I personally think it's fine.

2. The Deathfire grasp / Ability based % of health.
The problems with it being too 'broken' and what not to be similar to Madred's Bloodrazer, when I think a possible solution is:
An item which increases the damage of a spell cast by a percentage of the enemy's BONUS HEALTH.
The whole 'bonus' concept is something Riot's been getting into lately, so it isn't too foreign to introduce this item's mechanic (imo).
Literally, if someone has absolutely no health items this item will not increase the damage of a spell cast at all.

However let's say you have a spell which deals 200 damage normally, the opponent has base 1800 health but has a health crystal so they're at 1980. The spell when cast on them will deal 200 * (1980/1800) damage: 210. If it were to scale at 1x linearly it wouldn't be that good, but you get the picture of how the item would work with a spell's damage (well it would scale well linearly if MAGIC RESIST wouldn't annihilate most of that extra damage...). Actually, doing it by (bonus health / base health) is not a good idea, as it becomes stronger against squishies rather than the tanks

Oh and a question!
How was Ezreal's lore crafted? Are you a fan of Indiana Jones? What's with the Haruhi dance?
Stealth - Neat idea, and we could communicate that in a movement bar similar to Valkyria Chronicals. However, as for why we likely wouldn't do this system. It would allow for infinite stealth for standing still (annoying to play against), and it is hard for opponents to understand. Additionally, it would still require hard counters like our current system. Regardless, neat ideas!

% Spells: Interesting idea, but I'm not a big fan of affecting bonus stats on other champions. Quite frankly, it is difficult to tell bonus stats on your own character (we ended up having to place the final numbers in the tooltip every time), so it is unfeasible that we would expect that against other characters.

I am a fan of Indiana Jones, and I do love the concept of someone scouring a fantastical land for magic artifacts. Personally, I want to see this story built up in the future. As for Harhui, that was added on by another designer who thought Ezreal looked very anime. I didn't really mind since I found it amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light has come View Post
Hi Ezreal. Your my hero for sticking with this thread for 200 pages.

I'd really like to know what the deal is with Part II of the Valoran Video Contest is. The winners were supposed to have been announced on Dec 20th and we have yet to hear a thing from you guys about it despite having numerous Summoner Spotlights and such things since the 20th. A lot of people worked hard on those videos and not hearing anything about the results of the contest is very disheartening. I made two different threads on this topic and shamelessly bumped them but no reply. So I thought I'd ask here since you were being so nice responding to the community.

And btw, Jax's W does not proc on hit effects when combo'd with his Leap Strike. If not combo'd it proc's them just fine. I don't know if this is a bug or intended but I thought I'd let you know.
No clue on the first one, you would have to ask the community team.
That would be a bug, I hope someone looks into it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malurth View Post
Cassiopiea's Q - why does it not give sight?

I really like playing as her, but from the experience of a diehard Karthus player, it just plain pains me that I can't use Q to scout at least a little. Karthus's Q is far more spammable yet it's the one to give sight? I am confused.

P.S. I know how you guys like to nerf so please don't take away Karthus's sight because I mentioned it D:

EDIT: Oh also, can we do something about Nunu's ult's interaction with brush? It's quite frankly BS when you get ulted by him without knowing he was ulting at all, or at the very least where to run. Would it be fair if panth could ult in brush and his indicator lines wouldn't show? Most certainly not. This is, in fact, even worse, because Nunu's ult is probably the most powerful spell in the game (2.5 AP ratio dear god).
Q doesn't give sight because her W already does (thus she doesn't need more). Though if Karthus gives sight, then I can understand why you would want it, perhaps we will add it on some day.

The nunu problem is actually a fairly large deal here at riot. And I know we have had problems solving it in the past. Hopefully we will be able to address it some time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegurineLuka View Post
Hey Ez,

What happened to the designer speaking in the spotlights. I love listening to the designers talking about what they intended the champion of fulfilling in game. If your not planning on speaking in it can you tell me what you are trying to achieve with Caitlyn?

Thanks! Happy New Year!
Phreak got a lot of feedback that most people didn't like hearing the designers in the spotlights. So much that they opted to pull us indefinitely =-P. It's a pity, I really enjoyed doing the Irelia one, but I have to acquiesce to the hard data.

As for Caitlyn, I wanted a ranged dps champion with a lot of tricks, i.e. abilities that can be used in interesting/different ways. Thus I made traps limited, making players want to use them in specific fashions (blocking small paths, cutting corners, hiding in brush, hiding under your feet). I also wanted them to be readily usable in combat w/a short cooldown (limiting them allowed me to do that). 90 Calibur Net also has a ton of uses, in fact, I use it for chasing more often than not. Using abilities in not readily apparent ways makes the player feel smart, which I find to be good design. I also liked adding counter gameplay to her ultimate by allowing and enemy teamate to block the shot. This makes Caitlyn feel great when she sneaks a bullet in between teamates, and allows two enemies to feel badass when they block it. As for her Q, I simply like skill shots that take a tad bit more skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Got Vent View Post
Im sad that you skipped my question at page 184
But im really eager to know whats your thought on the balance and fun.
For example,
Jax is pretty boring now after the remake,mainly due to the remade of empower:before rework it charges lampost for Jax to release the next powerful strike,the longer he charges the more damage he deal.Its more visually fun and unique on gameplay than the current one.But its gone now.
Can you explain why Riot just remake it into a boring next-hit ability?
It's the only attractive and fun skill from Jax...I find that even now no one plays him any more,not because he is that UP but he just become a super boring auto attacker.
So here is the request:
Would you guys please put more attention and effort on the fun aspect of him when balancing him?
Thanks in advance.
Sorry dude, I'm sure I had a reason. Feel free to repost the question.

As for the remake, I believe it was because the previous ability made it non combat. You had to use it before a combat started to get (any) effect out of it. As such, it did not feel right on a rapid action duelist. I personally liked the old ability more, but I also fully understand why we did it. As such, we should have given another one of his abilities more depth.

Shoto Matrony

01-12-2011

Hello,

I read a post you made earlier that said Cassiopeia was named after your sister. I also know that you hate Noxians. Do you hate your sister?

Reiver

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2011

Ezreal, you said Cass's W gives sight, but here's the thing, it doesn't actually give sight properly...

If you use her W, the fog of war will momentarily clear as if it were giving sight, but you can't actually see anything that's in the fog of war, you can't see any of the neutral creeps or players or anything that should be revealed, it just reveals a blank area every single time.

Based on your statement it appears that this is a bug (possibly resulting from a mismatch between client and server and the client removing the fog but the server not actually sending info on what's there since the server thinks it shouldn't be revealed?)

BlackLordDragonX

01-12-2011

hey ezreal can u tell me what you think about this? http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=295744
Please

sleepyaaron

01-12-2011

A male gun slinger based off of Death The Kid from Soul Eater would be amazing :3

RF Komos

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
As for Caitlyn, I wanted a ranged dps champion with a lot of tricks, i.e. abilities that can be used in interesting/different ways. Thus I made traps limited, making players want to use them in specific fashions (blocking small paths, cutting corners, hiding in brush, hiding under your feet). I also wanted them to be readily usable in combat w/a short cooldown (limiting them allowed me to do that). 90 Calibur Net also has a ton of uses, in fact, I use it for chasing more often than not. Using abilities in not readily apparent ways makes the player feel smart, which I find to be good design. I also liked adding counter gameplay to her ultimate by allowing and enemy teamate to block the shot. This makes Caitlyn feel great when she sneaks a bullet in between teamates, and allows two enemies to feel badass when they block it. As for her Q, I simply like skill shots that take a tad bit more skill.
I definitely feel like, after playing Caitlyn, her skills are a bit too mana-intensive to warrant using them extensively ((I rarely ever use 90 Cal to chase because I'll need both the mana and the skill if things go wrong)) And using her Q offensively to harass leaves me pretty mana deprived if I'm really going after them. Any thoughts on her mana use/ways to better manage her mana? Would you consider possibly giving her a slightly larger mana pool or slightly lowering her costs, or lowering the cost scaling slightly?

Also I love her <3 Great job.

CovertGhoul

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo Justice View Post
If thatīs true,the team of "The fabolous dreamteam of fabolousness" now has itīs 4th member.
It was actually Guinsoo, If I weren't lazy I'd go check Guinsoo's comments. He straight up said that though, I was like "ugh Ezreal didn't make that sound female before", but yea Guinsoo said it.

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by H911Reiver View Post
Ezreal, you said Cass's W gives sight, but here's the thing, it doesn't actually give sight properly...

If you use her W, the fog of war will momentarily clear as if it were giving sight, but you can't actually see anything that's in the fog of war, you can't see any of the neutral creeps or players or anything that should be revealed, it just reveals a blank area every single time.

Based on your statement it appears that this is a bug (possibly resulting from a mismatch between client and server and the client removing the fog but the server not actually sending info on what's there since the server thinks it shouldn't be revealed?)
This, and also since I was comparing to Karthus in the first place, Karthus's W also gives sight...a *lot* of it, for a full 7 seconds.

So.