How we choose weekly free champions

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aýo

01-13-2010

***** is p r i ck so w/e

Glink

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2010

Thanks for the info!

Though I would suggest saying what champions will be in the next rotation when the next week draws near.

Spitfyre

01-13-2010

I suggest Riot stops taking suggestions. I like it when the Champions are chosen quite randomly, you NEVER know who you will be yelling at to stop feeding next week!

On another note, Poppy looks pretty cool.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoyBoi View Post
i don't want to be a ***** or anything but lol would be cool if we can just choose 3 champs to keep forever and work our way up and there wouldn't have to be work into the champ switching each week.
is this a cool idea? Yes.
Would people abuse the hell out of this? Hell yes.
Is it REALLY easy to get enough IP to get 3 champions?... yep.

DrFromGallifrey

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotChris View Post
What pattern would you like to see? We're always open to constructive feedback.

We listen to player feedback on Champions to make free, and we introduce new Champions on a regular basis. Those two factors make it hard to have a set rotation that repeats every 8 weeks or so (which is I assume what you're implying about a pattern).

- RiotChris
I was expecting it to be a little more complex than "we do whatever players tell us to with no regard toward balance, except when we release a new champion - then we do whatever we want with no regard to balance." Like the last few weeks... And wasn't heimderdinger supposed to be coming back? I KNOW I saw him on a list.

ketchup

01-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herborist View Post
I was expecting it to be a little more complex than "we do whatever players tell us to with no regard toward balance, except when we release a new champion - then we do whatever we want with no regard to balance." Like the last few weeks... And wasn't heimderdinger supposed to be coming back? I KNOW I saw him on a list.
I don't know if you've been paying attention, but heimer was just free this last week or so? Thus the many many posts about his rocket exploits.

oneoftheorder

01-14-2010

So far I believe every new champion has been rotated in the week of their release; I will be surprised to see if/when this fails to occur, unless more than 10 champions are released (in some kind of Great Week of Awesome.) Making the new champion free entices people to want them in the future (if they like how the character plays), and perhaps more importantly (except from a marketing standpoint), encourages enough play of the character to ensure a great deal of statistical data for quick balancing following their introduction. I hope that barring unusual circumstances, new characters are always free for a week (I could see keeping them in for their first 2 weeks making sense even.)

Beyond that, I think balance (across roles/types of champions rotated in a given week), variety, and relative uniformity (no champion should go for an exceptionally long time w/o being available relative to others) are all that really matters. While it's true that the free champions of a given week are most likely to be played by those new to the champions, and thus in some cases, more likely to feed, there is no where else for players to learn those champions, so I think the only thing to do here is trust to the matchmaking system to work out reasonable teams more or less, and trust to individuals to make balanced choices of characters within the lobby.

Disillusion

01-14-2010

So many tanks this week, but only one last week (Alister). why?

Worstcase

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2010

I'd like to see a bit more of Sion, hes not very difficult and is pretty versatile.

Artren

Recruiter

01-14-2010

Free champion rotations have been relatively good. However it does suck when the more stealthy ones get put on free multiple weeks in a row. Twitch being free makes me cringed!