@ Pendragon/Tryndamere

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivandir View Post
By not releasing top 500 ELO you are risking at pissing off the majority of dedicated LOL players. You know who they are and you know where most of the money will come from in the future and the present.

My suggestion will be to release the TOP 1000 ELO and make it a monthly affair until you get the competitive features up.
And when you find out you're not on the top 1000 ELO list you're going to QQ and ask for a top 2000 ELO list.

Ivandir

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0123456789 View Post
And when you find out you're not on the top 1000 ELO list you're going to QQ and ask for a top 2000 ELO list.
Why does it matter what I am going to do or where I stand. I spoke in general by saying that people want to see their competitive edge relative to other players and they don't want to wait 3-6 months for it. Give the players what they want it's not that hard generating ELO by just copying and pasting it on the forums.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

01-12-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

FYI, you are not in the top 500. Or 1,000.

I respectfully disagree with you though. By not posting the "top 500" list we are not satisfying the curiosity of a vocal minority - we are not "angering the majority of dedicated players" and there's a big difference between the two.

Normal games are for casual play - ranked games with ladders will be for competitive play, and you'll constantly be able to see what your Elo is and how it changes.

If the current LoL is not satisfying your competitive aspirations, you could always wait until ranked games come out.

Clonky

01-12-2010

And until ranked matches come out, some good signs to tell if you are in a higher elo might be that it takes longer for you to find matches, obviously if you see some of the more well known names from the council and top 500 posted a few months back. It's not completely impossible to know if you get into the higher elo I'm sure.

Edwy

The Council

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel Lord View Post
I remember a bunch of posts from Council guys a while ago that said they don't really care about their Elo. Top players know who they are. They don't need a list to prove it.
This. Except for the part where top players don't really care about their elo, they do care, but most top players already know whos good and whos not. Elo is broken anyways.

Pharmacologist

01-12-2010

Oh gosh I sure am pissed off!

Oh wait, not at all. And I've been on these silly lists every time they're out. Elo is only super ballpark at the moment anyway. Esp with a lot of solo queuing there is a lot of randomness and streakiness.

Like really why do you care? Ranked matches will be out in 2 or 3 years anyway!

Captain Scro

01-12-2010

Edwy/Pharm: Care to expound a little on why/how elo is broken? Im assuming it will be tweaked for ranked matches, Im just wondering what it is thats causing problems now.

thx

Edwy

The Council

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scro View Post
Edwy/Pharm: Care to expound a little on why/how elo is broken? Im assuming it will be tweaked for ranked matches, Im just wondering what it is thats causing problems now.

thx
It doesn't account for individual skill, rather it's just based upon if you won or lost. So you can continuously go 0-10-0 or perform mediocre, but if your team wins, than your elo will increase, that way people can get carried into top 100 or etc. I've played with people that are amazing that aren't in top 500, and i've also played with people that are utterly terrible who are somehow in top 100.

Ivandir

01-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
FYI, you are not in the top 500. Or 1,000.

I respectfully disagree with you though. By not posting the "top 500" list we are not satisfying the curiosity of a vocal minority - we are not "angering the majority of dedicated players" and there's a big difference between the two.

Normal games are for casual play - ranked games with ladders will be for competitive play, and you'll constantly be able to see what your Elo is and how it changes.

If the current LoL is not satisfying your competitive aspirations, you could always wait until ranked games come out.
Pendragon,

I hope you understand the ideology you created the moment you posted the top 500 ELO list?

Example:

You DON'T post an ELO list from the get go. Nothing happens. Majority of players think they are good players and the player-base stays the same but only few recognize the power of their champions and create optimal teams for ranked play.

You post an ELO list. Majority of players think they are not good enough to reach this list however their gameplay mentality now changes and if they want to reach the list they will play better next time they know their ELO will be affected. This in turn creates higher competitive edge between player and increases the quality of the gameplay as well as their skill.

All I am saying is that an informed majority is better than an uninformed one. You can't expect that everones competitive edge to just be turned on at 100% capacity the moment you release ranked games.

Nithrak

01-12-2010

I had wanted to see my Elo privately as a way to measure my progress in game, simply because you can't judge it based on Win/Loss ratio. However, I've come to terms with Riot's stance on it, and really it doesn't matter that much. From game to game, things happen that can completely ruin the experience if you get too hung up on the metrics. Instead, I do try to win, but it's not the end of the world if for whatever reason a game doesn't work out.

There are still those moments where your heart races and you get the thrill of an ace.. or laugh hysterically at something someone does or says. A lot of whether you end the game with a smile on your face has to do with your attitude towards the game. I probably was getting a little too serious about it, besides, my actual skill couldn't support any notions of wanting to be sooooo prooo anyway!