Cassiopeia Art Spotlight

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

12-28-2010
35 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Havenn View Post
I actually have a interesting question. So I noticed you are using Autodesk Maya, which is a great tool overall, but was was the reasoning for not using Autodesk 3DS Max? Just curious. From my experience 3DS max is a more powerful tool.
With all of the three main ones (Max, Softimage, Maya) done by Autodesk, they start to be more and more alike. The decision to go with Maya was done before my time, but I'm glad it's not Max as I'm not too good with it. The workflow with Max is different in that it has all those modifiers. It's harder to translate stuff for animators that have worked with Maya. Soft and Maya are pretty similar in many ways. I personally prefer Softimage, but I'm very happy with Maya, too.

In the end it's just a tool like a pen. I've seen great animations come out of any of these tools. Glad you enjoy Max =)

Nightcide

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2010

Who does your modeling work at Riot?

Hi JamesTang

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2010

am studying this, this is pretty helpful thanks riot !

zombie pederast

12-30-2010

Gosh. One of the assignments for the animation class I took was a walk cycle. I decided on a zombie. which was set to Jonathon Coulton's Re: Your Brains. a song about zombies. The requirement was to set the walk to the beat of the music. I set the lurch to the beat and decided to interrupt the cycle with a lunge to something he wanted to eat. I laughed when you said you ran out of frames and needed to get her (cassiopeia) back to her normal pose because it reminded me of the difficulty i had getting my zombie back into his timed-to-music-lurch in less frames than was necessary >.< and coincidently it looks forced. this was hand-drawn and i dont have experience with Maya so the question I guess I have is:
When you set your keys does the program assume the tweens? Sounds like After Effects the way you described it.

CaptainLx

Senior Animator

01-03-2011
36 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcide View Post
Who does your modeling work at Riot?
We outsource a lot of our modeling, but also do some polish inhouse.

Aven R

01-15-2011

Gj Looks hard and requires skill ^^

BeastRAGE

01-29-2011

I got 3ds Max the other day, ****s fun, good work with cass.

Kordaling

08-05-2011

3ds max plugin importer/exporter PLEASE ?