Totally new to LoL/DoTA, need some advice

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerek

08-14-2009

In my opinion the most important concept in this game is to not die, I personally find its not worth even putting yourself at risk of dieing unless you are sure you can get a kill, don't be afraid to blue pill back if you are really low on health, that being said if the person you are fighting is constantly sending you back just try to stay back and avoid confrontation with them or ask your team to help you kill him.

Also there is minimap awareness, you have to watch it, if your team is all back healing and the other team is missing there is a good chance they are setting up a gank on you, teamates will usually call when people on there lanes are missing, though you should be able to watch the map yourself, sometimes rellying on what others call will get you killed.

AtlasNR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBrav0 View Post
Okay, so there is currently no mechanic to completely halt your auto-attack if you're near other enemy minions, correct? The only way to not auto-attack is to do the old DotA trick of walking back and forth so you don't attack? Ugh. Heroes of Newerth does it so much better (IMO) by having the halt command stop all actions from your hero. No need to give yourself carpal tunnel from clicking back and forth to stop your attacks.
Your champion holds ground by default in LoL.

CastleBrav0

08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasNR View Post
Your champion holds ground by default in LoL.
I'm definitely not seeing that, at least with a range character. Even if you hit H to "halt" your character, if your hero is within range of enemy creeps, it will automatically attack whatever is in range. I want to just hit H and sit there, even there is an enemy in range. Maybe I'm doing something wrong though.

The Mimic

08-15-2009

We were all new to DotA at one point or another. I started off playing -EM games and slowly moved my way up to non-EM games and eventually even joined a competitive team. The thing that improved the way I played the most was reading guides, like in the guides / strategy section. These are usually written by pros who will usually explain what skills, items, runes etc. to get with X hero, why to get them and how to use them.

Remember that practice doesn't always make perfect, but will always make better. Ignore the discouragement and keep playing. Good luck!

Desit

08-15-2009

Start of playing soraka, and observe the gameplay Soraka is good because he support her teammates, and in that way people will be glad if you replenish their mana and heal them!

On another note it's a genre who are hard for beginners, though my advice in this game would be;
Don't be affraid! You learn much more with beeing agressive than passive, **** those who complaing about u dying! Try rush towers, attack your enemy and even try go for the kill. I would suggest that u choose the summoner abilities Rally and Heal, which is easy to use and can save your and your teammates

Good luck!

freykin

08-15-2009

CastleBrav0, under interface there should be an option to turn off autoattack, or one of the menus in there. I haven't tried it yet though.

Krazyshadow

08-15-2009

The biggest difference I see between between the so-called "nubs" and the more advanced players is simply map awareness. Call mia's (your lane opponent is missing) and be aware that when someone else calls mia, you could be in for a gank. Don't farm an empty lane and push all the way into their tower when 3 people on their team are mia, you are probably gonna die. Playing conservatively never hurt anyone, and they won't flame you especially if you let them know you're new at the game.

LesPaulLover

08-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerpower View Post

Be up front about being new, most people will be happy to give advice, those that won't will probably be the ones flaming (see above). Ask for a lane partner, i prefer to have one generally. You level a bit slower but if you're new its well worth it for the added protection. If you're getting crushed in a lane let your team know that you need help/ a gank/ a lane switch. If they refuse to help then they're to blame when the other team gets huge.

I started on beta 3 days ago...never played DOTA, and it's funny cuz i have found it to be the complete opposite of this ^^

BY FAR the most common reaction to telling the team youre new, is getting flamed. I have come to suspect that people refuse to help you / give you tips so they then have an excuse for losing the round; blame it on the noob.

Cant tell you how many times ive told my team i need a lane switch or backup cuz not im being 2v1'ed, then dying because i received no help....then being called a noob for dying.

The arrogance of your average player in this game is TRULY astounding.

XIIÍ

08-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulLover View Post
I started on beta 3 days ago...never played DOTA, and it's funny cuz i have found it to be the complete opposite of this ^^

BY FAR the most common reaction to telling the team youre new, is getting flamed. I have come to suspect that people refuse to help you / give you tips so they then have an excuse for losing the round; blame it on the noob.

Cant tell you how many times ive told my team i need a lane switch or backup cuz not im being 2v1'ed, then dying because i received no help....then being called a noob for dying.

Unfortunately, there will always be jerks when it comes to online team games. There is nothing you can really do about it. Riot can try to ban as many of them as possible, but there is no way to completely end it. Just ignore it and do what you came to do (have fun, improve, provide feedback). On the plus side, if you are lucky enough to play with a few of the nicer upper level players and mention that you are new, there are a few of them that will be more than willing to help you.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaulLover View Post

I'm sorry to hear you got teamed up with some indecent human beings.

Unfortunately, because there is so much to do in such little time in each match, it's difficult for the veteran players to try to teach you while they're also trying to win. Now, I'm not saying don't ask for help, but also don't expect someone to type up a full guide on your champion during the game.

My best suggestion is reading these forums. There's a lot of great information on here, so when you're stuck at work and can't play the game, try to read the forums. The Guides & Strategy section, to be specific. Another suggestion is to jump on the LoL IRC or Vent channel. There are a lot of friendly/mature people on there.