Fixing Your Computer - A Directory for General Support

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-08-2010

General Tech Support Directory

Sometimes you can't connect to the internet, or are running slow because something evil attached itself to your comptuer and it's using up your bandwidth. If you're trying to play some League of Legends but are having problems beyond Riot's scope, the directory below may be able to help you solve some of those issues.

Used to work some tech support back in the day, and a lot of the tools mentioned are really exceptional (especially hijack). Below is a compiled list from a bunch of sources. If you'd like to add something to the list, please put a link and a little description, I'm sure there's a ton of other gems out there.

Anti Virus
Free AVG 8.5 - One of the most widespread of the free programs. A decent anti-virus service. - Note: Has been known to occasionally cause issues with the LoL Launcher (although it works fine on my comp)

Avast! Home Edition-Free - Toned down version of the standard Avast Anti-virus for purchase. - Note: Has been known to occasionally cause issues with the LoL Launcher.

Avira Personal - Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus is a comprehensive, easy to use antivirus program, designed to offer reliable free of charge virus protection to home-users only. (Annoying Pop Up ads can be fixed, just google it )

McAffe Stinger – A standalone scan/removal tool (reactive only) which I have had pretty good luck with.

Trend Micro Housecall – A good online anti-virus scanner that can help if you are unable to install other virus programs.

Microsoft Security Essentials – Anti-Virus and Spyware protection from Microsoft.

Anti-Spyware
Malwarebytes Anti-malware – A great tool for sweeping harmful software off of your computer, removes an astonishing amount of malicious software, has saved many clients computers from the wipe/reload.

SUPERanti spyware – Just another step in removing unwanted malicious software from your computer, used in conjunction with Malwarebytes and the other malicious software removal tools. Make sure You use the FREE one

Spybot Search and Destroy – A decent all around tool for removing spyware/malware/rootkits/trojans and pretty much everything.

ComboFix – Multi-genre spyware and malware remover.

Windows Defender – Underrated decent piece of anti-spyware software free from Microsoft.

Glary’s Utilities – Spyware and other services protection software.

Lavasoft Ad Aware - A decent anti-spyware program. Has become more commercialized recently.

A-Squared - A free malware scanner from msi software.

Microsoft Safety Scanner - A free scanner from Microsoft that identifies malware and virus software.

Malicious Software Removal Tool - A free utility from Microsoft that's surprisingly useful and easy to use. Just download and run the file and it'll automatically scan and wipe things.

Boot OS
Ultimate Boot– To add to this list of software I use boot cd's such as the following.
Also available from http://www.ubcd4win.com

Bart PE / Tech 182 – Bart PE is the basic builder, Tech 182 is a great premade build if you can find it. Let’s you boot an OS and access files even if your windows is destroyed. Can be used against WinLogon loading viruses to bypass file-in-use errors.

Cleaning Tools
BlasTemp – Removes basic Windows temp files

CCleaner – Great general removal file, nukes temp files, duplicates, etc.

ATF Cleaner - General Cleaning Program.

Advanced SystemCare - This utility offers a one-stop-shop for cleaning and maintaining your computer for better overall system performance. The interface is very simple, featuring only a few buttons, which makes it easy to get down to cleaning immediately.

Revo Uninstaller - A fairly powerful tool for nuking installs that won't go away, also includes a registry sweep and other options for completely removing a program.

General Tools
Unstoppable Copier – Sometimes can recover files from damaged sectors or put things where you need them to go.

HiJackThis – Amazing tool! kind of advanced, it helps you modify MSCONFIG, and your registry for any rootkits, and registry entries that may run, or be installed in locations not normally know by most users. Make sure you have a backup before removing items. Also this can out put a log file which can be uplaoded on many anti-malware forums to help you in removal efforts.

Sysinternals Suite - For geekier people, or those not getting paid by the hour by customers, try the Sysinternals suite by Mark Russinovich, acquired by Microsoft (and completely free) Helps diagnose Windows / system problems.

Autoruns – Identifies autoloading and start-up programs on your computer.

Startup List - Identifies autostarting programs in Windows.

Process Explorer – Identifies current processes running in Windows.

Itty Bitty Process Man - Shows processes and lets you stop and remove active processes. Toned Down sort of HiJack This.

Rootkit Revealer – Shows system rootkit from registry.

Pocket Killbox – Force File Deleter.

DosBox - Oddly, in addition to being amazing for playing old DOS games, DosBox can also be used to access your system and execute dos commands.

Brute Force Uninstaller - Removes the hell out of things. Note: do not use with Norton AV removal, that requires a whole special PITA process.

SpeedFan - This tool can change your computer's fan speeds, read the temperatures of your motherboard and your hard disk, read voltages and fan speeds and check the status of your hard disk.

Defraggler - Defraggler is a file defragmentation tool. It differs from other defrag tools on the market, by enabling you to quickly and simply defrag the files you want to, without having to process the whole drive.

Internet and Network Repair
LSP-Fix - Corrects issues with Layered Service Provider software

Winsock Fix – If your network isn’t working and nothing else is fixing it, this is an easy utility to try and repair your Winsock.

ICSI Netalyzr - Online based automatic network analysis tool. Tests your internet connection for various issues.

HostFix – Restores Windows host file to default

Targeted Tools
Aim Fix - Removes the AIM Virus. Not a big problem anymore but just in case, plus if you do have it the **** thing slows everything down.

Block Remove - Removes Block-Checker adware.

Norton Individual Removal Tools – Updated list from Norton with downloadable virus-specific removal tools

CWShredder – CoolWebSearch and related file remover

Kill2Me - Look2Me virus remover.

Rapid Blaster Killer - Um...Kills Rapid Blaster?

Vundo Fix - Removes Vundo and various Vundo related viruses / spyware.

Video and Graphics Tools
RivaTuner - One stop shopping for graphics card customization. If you're running an older card and having overheating problems you can use RivaTuner to downclock and manage your fan settings. Additional setup guide here.

Hardware Diagnostics
CPU-Z - A snazzy little program that gives you the basics of your system information on your processor and RAM.

Memtest86+ - A stress and testing program for your system memory (RAM)

Advanced Manual Commands - Start menu -> Run ->
DXDiag - A Direct X diagnostic tool run from the command line in the Start menu.

Regedit - The Windows registry editor, run the same way as dxdiag through the Start menu. Note: Edit with caution, changes here can complete frag your computer if done incorrectly.

MSConfig - Opens the Windows system configuration editor. Let's you change what programs and services turn on when you start up your computer. Also run through the command line in the Start menu.

Janis

01-08-2010

excellent post!

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

01-08-2010
1 of 3 Riot Posts

I really appreciate this. You earned a sticky!

2 Vaynez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-08-2010

Oh wow this is awesome!

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

01-08-2010
2 of 3 Riot Posts

I should note that some of the security software included in the post (mainly AVG and Avast) has been known to cause issues with the launcher. In most cases however, the launcher should work fine.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2010

Thanks for this. I will try HiJackThis later to just assure myself of my computer not being the issue with in-game fps/latency issues.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Perring View Post
I should note that some of the security software included in the post (mainly AVG and Avast) has been known to cause issues with the launcher. In most cases however, the launcher should work fine.
Thanks for the heads up (and the sticky), I'll update that in.

HeyJon

01-08-2010

+1

Peables

01-08-2010

Don't forget Game Booster by IObit,
it works by temporarily shutting down unnecessary programs to enhance gaming
Here is a download link if anyone is interested
http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

01-11-2010
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Be very very careful about recommending some of these tools (I personally know of HijackThis and ComboFix, may be others). They have the power to do some serious damage to a computer (and even render it basically inoperable without a reformat) if done carelessly. Most are fine, of course.