Totally new to LoL/DoTA, need some advice

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JonTehKnight

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
you have to believe in yourself anything is possible
Don't believe in yourself! Believe in me, who believes in you! Yours is the drill that will pierce the heavens! ....too off topic?

My only real suggestion is practice makes perfect (as close as you can get anyway). Also try to have two or three champions you like to focus on after you've tried them all, so you'll be proficient with a couple of guys and have options if one happens to be taken by a teammate. At least until you get decent with all of them, if that's your thing.

The Uprising

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace Bullet View Post
Topic says it all. How do I not suck at this game, thus not earning the anger of my teammates?

Also, can the community be a little more tolerant of newcomers? I don't want to hear "****ING USELESS" every time I play. How about telling me how to help?
yeah lol for the first several levels I didn't know how to play and I was constantly flamed because I WAS PUT IN FREAKING LVL 30 FIGHTS AT LVL 1.

But this is (hopefully) due to the lack of people, which is why bad people are mixed with good people, with semi equal amounts of bad/good people on each side. Its really frustrating now with no lvls so people can't see you're a noob and cut you some slack...

darkerpower

08-14-2009

Best advice I can give is to ignore anyone just screaming "NOOB" and don't get into discussions with them. Nothing diffuses nerdrage faster than ignoring it imo.

Be up front about being new, most people will be happy to give advice, those that won't will probably be the ones flaming (see above). Ask for a lane partner, i prefer to have one generally. You level a bit slower but if you're new its well worth it for the added protection. If you're getting crushed in a lane let your team know that you need help/ a gank/ a lane switch. If they refuse to help then they're to blame when the other team gets huge.

use the minimap a lot. Try to mentally keep tabs on where the enemy heros are. If you don't see them on your map you shouldn't be in their half of the map pushing because you're probably about to get ganked. If you see your team pushing go join them, if your base is getting pushed in blue pill back to defend it.

Call Missing in Actions (mia for short) for your lane, and encourage your team to do the same. Don't underestimate the value of this as communication wins games.

Get a friend playing and get on a vent or teamspeak, its a lot faster and easier to talk than it is to type.

The ping feature is huge, and you can mark heros for targeting. Again communication is key, if someone marks a hero burn that guy down first.

DOTA/LoL are team games, remember that. Saving a teammate/ helping get a kill/pushing a tower/ destroying the base is far more important that killing that last neutral creep for the item you're farming. Nothing makes me more frustrated in the game when the enemy team is pushing a tower and my team is in the woods killing neutrals.

unless you are absolutely sure you can get the kill do not tower dive (chase an enemy past one of their towers). Even then you shouldn't be doing it unless you are fairly certain you can get out alive.

Play every character at least once. Not knowing the mechanics/skills of an enemy champion is a HUGE disadvantage.

If you see someone doing well watch how they are playing, if someone is doing poorly try to see where they are going wrong.

oh and don't forget its a game and have fun.

edited for spelling

Teirdome

08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuraM View Post
i have no idea why you would start with a practice game, theres rarely enough people in practice to fill a full game when the matchmaking is up. You wont get better by 1v1'ing a cpu, because half the game is teamwork. Alot of people are all like "do this as ranged n that as melee and this as a caster" but its total BS, alot of the champions can be played how you want (example, my favorite is AP Rammus, and i go on average 6-9 kills and 0-2 deaths with tons of assists most every game, even though hes primarily a tank), and thats what makes it fun.
So, your solution to his problem of joining a matchmaking game and getting yelled at because he doesn't know how to play is to have him join a matchmaking game? Brilliant.

Practice games provide a safe way to start learning some basics, EXACTLY what the OP is looking for. There is a certain amount of basic knowledge required to even be remotely effective as a member of a team. There aren't many larger detriments to a team than having someone who doesn't know how to lane well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuraM View Post
possitioning habits like the previous nub suggested is total BS, since games are dynamic and you always need to adapt (amumu cant bandage through creeps, ashe's ult however wont touch them). Getting into a habit in a game like this is asking for defeat (aside from skill and item builds, although you may need to adapt vs pure caster teams with more magic res, and etc), since your basically telling the enemy what your about to do, and they can counter and use it against you.
The point is to encourage him to start learning about positioning early. The are a large number of players in the mid-tier who would be much better if they were more aware of it.

XIIÍ

08-14-2009

This teaching channel on vent needs to be more publicized. I think its a great idea and would be infinitely helpful to newer players and players who just wanna learn mroe things.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

08-14-2009
2 of 3 Riot Posts

The following is a directory of champion guides that I think could be useful for all level of players.

http://beta.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ead.php?t=4373

This is a beta and we want you to try all the Champions and let us know what you think, but at the same picking one hero to focus on for the first week of playing is not a bad idea. It is enough of a task to learn all the items without having to deal with Champion skills too. Make sure to pay attention to which enemies can disable your Champion as well.

Gimpb

08-14-2009

Don't let that get to you, the anonymity of the internet can bring forth a not so good side of some people. The only mistake you can really make in dealing with it is getting in a fight that degrades. Generally it's possible to shut them up and resolve the situation with just a couple choice comments and if not, ignore them.

When it comes to getting better, focus on learning and staying aware. Play all the characters so you know their capabilities. Each time you go into a fight make a mental prediction of what you think will happen; afterward evaluate the events and refine your prediction skills. Awareness is key in any game. A good start is to watch that mini map like a hawk, know your opponent's items, and use clairvoiance.

edit: I guess I'm disagreeing with Jesse on the learning the characters thing. Oh well, so be it.

CastleBrav0

08-14-2009

Hey everyone,

I just got a LoL beta invite this afternoon and just completed my first game. I've played DotA a lot, and I've been having a blast playing Heroes of Newerth, but I've got a question regarding LoL and list hitting.

In Heroes of Newerth, you can hit H on the keyboard to HALT your character -- he/she will not move or auto-attack anything, so it makes it "easier" to time a last hit. You can just halt your character and then wait for the creep's health to be low and then right-click the creep to attack it.

Is there any way to do that in this? Also, I couldn't figure out a way to attack my own creep to deny. Any way to do that in LoL?

Thanks for any advice.

eXes

08-14-2009

You cannot deny own minions. The hotkeys for attack and hold are X and H.

CastleBrav0

08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXes View Post
You cannot deny own minions. The hotkeys for attack and hold are X and H.
Okay, so there is currently no mechanic to completely halt your auto-attack if you're near other enemy minions, correct? The only way to not auto-attack is to do the old DotA trick of walking back and forth so you don't attack? Ugh. Heroes of Newerth does it so much better (IMO) by having the halt command stop all actions from your hero. No need to give yourself carpal tunnel from clicking back and forth to stop your attacks.