What would you like to see in Chat / Buddy Lists?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarklordJoseph

The Council

08-14-2009

Marduke's idea basic is how I want it

Lima Beans

Core Engineer

08-14-2009
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchen View Post
I would really like to have all the offline contacts display on their own group so i could have all my groups open and see who's online (like in MSN).
Nice idea Luchen, I will put this in.

Zordon

08-14-2009

There should also be a option to minimize or expand the buddy list as if you don't need to see the peopel who are off and who are busy in game and what not.

icecoffee

08-15-2009

WTB /roll in chat :P

Emrot

08-20-2009

Well, I just posted this in another thread, but I'd like a new "Looking for Group" status, and also an "In Lobby" status separate from "In Game".

I'd also like the "Do not disturb" status to have a red marker, and "Away" have a yellow one (currently the colors are reversed).

Reaper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2009

timestamps

WinterAyars

08-21-2009

Having chat integrated into the main window ould be nice.

People have mentioned creating their own channels, which is nice. However: let me propose a similar but different system.

You get your own personal channel--so i would have a channel "winterayars"--to which people can be invited. All those joined can chat just like a regular chat channel. If you're online you get the messages in a tab. (I like the tabs... this might be too many windows for tabs though, maybe a list of channels would be better... like IRC or something...) Since it's my channel i can kick people out (effectively the same thing as ban, since they need an invite to get in)--they can just leave too, of course.

This is definitely not perfect, but i think it'd work pretty well. (It's kind of Twitter-like, though without all the parts that soak up all the resources. Or like a sort of meta-friends list.)

Being able to manipulate your friends list (etc), even if it's just slashed commands, would be very helpful. For example:

/f add [x]
/f m [x] (that's "send a message to all your online friends", if you don't know bnet...)
/f list (list of your friends)
/f who or /f online (all online friends only)

That sort of thing.

Marduke's suggestion ("copying IRC") would also work pretty well. Heck, you could just run IRC servers straight up and put a client in the game client and add an in-game interface (i know you can do this--Quake can be set up to allow it). In fact, you could even set it up so you'd be able to connect with your own client (like xchat) in theory. Of course, i'm not sure if Riot thinks that's desirable. I'm sure the IRC protocol could be set up to disallow that, though.

Some people have mentioned Steam's interface, which can be nice. However, Steam's shift+tab thing causes some trouble--even Valve can't quite get it to work correctly, so i am suspicious about implementation issues. I don't see any problem with using chat commands (and having out-of-game messages show up in their own color or with some marker on them or something).

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevoun View Post
I made a thread in the general forum but then I realized that this thread is better for my suggestion. I would like to have a channel specifically devoted to organizing arranged teams. The pre-game lobby is pretty short and sometimes you get matched with a group of people who aren't good at tanks or something along the lines. If there was a team-building lobby people could create more balanced teams by advertising things like:

"LF tank with vent for lvl ___ group, msg ___"
This would be pretty sweet, and easy. If there were some sort of interface to this (rather than just "a chat room") it would be even better, but that's more work again.

Being able to set your status somehow (LFG, have group, tank/carry/support player, etc) would also help out.

Akan

08-21-2009

I'd like it to play a sound/notify you when you get a message (or a louder one if it already does). I've missed quite a few messages because the lol launcher is running in the background while I'm doing something else.

lopsided

09-08-2009

Would like to be able to send a message to offline friends that they can read when they come online.

Be Nice Eric

09-09-2009

I'd like to see clan channels implemented and the ability to chat with friends while in-game.