new buff timers 4.12 patch

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BubbleBeamz

07-16-2014

Is there a way to keep them on the interface at all time?

Snailed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2014

Nice, I am trying to find this too.

that nidaIee

07-17-2014

i can't find one. :/

B00tyWarriorr

07-17-2014

It's really that hard to hit Tab...

Titriano

07-17-2014

Pretty sure the whole point is that you have to pull up the scoreboard. Meaning you have to think about using them.

FyshinaTux

07-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titriano View Post
Pretty sure the whole point is that you have to pull up the scoreboard. Meaning you have to think about using them.
This... They admitted that it was a skill to utilize them prior to this, and they wanted that skill to remain to some extent, they just didn't feel it was needed in the sense it was being used because the jungle minions are a constant.

Since the jungle monsters are a constant (always in the same spot, always act the same way etc.) they wanted to shift SOME attention away from them so that you could focus more on the skills that "really" matter, the skills against the variable enemies: enemy champions.

This is also the reason we don't have timers for enemy summoner spells, enemy skills etc. They don't want us to just mindlessly calculate until the end of time (another reason for the jungle timers, they were merely calculations that, in all actuality, required VERY little skill.)

Hope that helps.

Snoop Nome

Game Designer

07-17-2014
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshinaTux View Post
This... They admitted that it was a skill to utilize them prior to this, and they wanted that skill to remain to some extent, they just didn't feel it was needed in the sense it was being used because the jungle minions are a constant.
Mmm, not quite. I assume you're basing this on my spiel during the Patch Rundown, so I'm sorry for the confusion (it wasn't scripted, so I didn't provide as eloquent an explanation as I could've!).

It's not that it's a skill to look at the timer; rather that a persistent element, at least by default, runs the risk of being prescriptive. We'd experimented with persistence as default and toggled persistence, but went back to keeping it attached to the scoreboard because we didn't want players to blindly follow countdowns. It was a difficult call that our team was split 50/50 on, but we eventually decided to tread cautiously this time around.

Can it be an option in the future? Maybe--as always, we don't want to rule out the possibility. For now though, it's going to be attached to the scoreboard.

ExHentai

07-17-2014

By default, pressing O will toggle the scoreboard on the screen. Just drag it off to keep the timers up. Pressing O again or Tab will close it.

See how I have the scoreboard way down at the bottom, just bring it lower so you can see your stats, health/mana, minimap, etc. And when you want to see the score just drag it back up.
Name:  Screen43.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  672.9 KB

OGZ Poptart Cat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Nome View Post
Mmm, not quite. I assume you're basing this on my spiel during the Patch Rundown, so I'm sorry for the confusion (it wasn't scripted, so I didn't provide as eloquent an explanation as I could've!).

It's not that it's a skill to look at the timer; rather that a persistent element, at least by default, runs the risk of being prescriptive. We'd experimented with persistence as default and toggled persistence, but went back to keeping it attached to the scoreboard because we didn't want players to blindly follow countdowns. It was a difficult call that our team was split 50/50 on, but we eventually decided to tread cautiously this time around.

Can it be an option in the future? Maybe--as always, we don't want to rule out the possibility. For now though, it's going to be attached to the scoreboard.
I'm glad, as a jungle main, that you decided to put it this way.

FyshinaTux

07-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Nome View Post

I was basing it off that actually, my apologies for misunderstanding. ^_^;

Thanks for the clarification on this.