Meddler are you on here today?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Marenjii

07-05-2014

Any thoughts on the freelo that is Orianna, and Lissandra?

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

07-05-2014
3 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu View Post
Meddler!
I have been playing a lot of Lissandra and I have a question!
How come you gave her E, a slow skill shot gap closer, so much damage? It does roughly as much damage as her W, so she relies on hitting it, which is fairly difficult because of the missile speed.
Wouldn't it be better to take some damage off of it and put it into her W?
It just feels weird and off that the tool she uses to get close (in range of her ult or W, so not hitting them directly with her E) is a massive part of her damage output.
It feels unrewarding being ahead and not being able to kill squishies because you have to give up on your E damage to get close.
Lissandra's E's a risky, and often hard to land, tool to use for damage and she's not balanced around the expectation she'll have access to that damage all of the time. As a result being able to pull off useful mobility and damaging an enemy at the same time or sacrificing movement for extra damage occasionally can have a decent reward attached to it, giving another way to sometimes optimize your play. Her W by contrast is a high reliability spell, so if we were to strip damage off her E we'd have to put significantly less than we removed onto the W (and, as above, we'd be simplifying her kit in the process too).

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

07-05-2014
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinfox View Post
Do you think urgot needs a texture update?
I think Urgot's a great candidate for a full overhaul of both his visuals and gameplay. Not certain he'd benefit as much from a texture update alone though as some other champs (Rammus and Skarner for example) have though.

xCezium

07-05-2014

I have a copy of a calculator in python that I made a couple years back. It needs some updates and could probably use some editing, but the general basics of the calculator might be useful, if you'd like to use it.

Edit: The calculator is solely focused on auto attacks for AD Carries. I never got around to implementing abilities because they are extremely difficult to successfully calculate in a meaningful way.

NotBuzzJack

07-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
I think Urgot's a great candidate for a full overhaul of both his visuals and gameplay. Not certain he'd benefit as much from a texture update alone though as some other champs (Rammus and Skarner for example) have though.
Has the Urgot rework been setback by Sion or are they being worked on in tandem?

Ur little sister

07-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souul Reaper View Post
oh thank god!

some background: I'm working on a LoL calculator (gonna use it to optimize builds n stuff)
I'm using python and a lot of text files

1. What's a good way to define attack damage? (and similar stats)
example: should I define bonus_percent_attack_damage, base_attack_damage, base_attack_damage_perlevel, etc... or is there a better/ more efficient way to do this
I kinda thought of this because there are different forms of AD in the game (% increases, flat bonuses, base, etc...)

2. How do I make item unique abilities unique in the code?

3. Is there a way to get relevant champion stats directly from the server?

4. I want to code elixirs as buffs so I can use them with a 6-item build but then I won't be able to use them as items for other builds (ones that get the best options with a limited amount of gold)

5. How do I make a working Sword of the Divine (this got frustrating so I'm just using a maximum of 3 basic attacks for damage from combos and not using it for DPS calculations)

I'm still in the very early stages of writing this so any info is appreciated
and if something I said is confusing please tell me about it (I usually have a hard time expressing my ideas if I have to post more than a couple lines >_<)
Hi, I've written working dmg calculators for LoL before, though only crude versions that only worked for specific problems I was interested in. Because I'm lazy.

Anyway:
1. Whatever works. The optimal way to do this depends on how you're writing your code. For example: is champion lvl a parameter you enter somewhere? If it is, you'll need per lvl scalings. Or just 18 sets of each champion, but that sounds silly.

2. It's python you're using, right? I'm guessing you're either going to save the items your champion has in some list, or just add the stat increases 1 by 1. There are several ways you could go at it. You could have booleans that you set to true once a certain effect has already been taken into account on a champion, and put the adding of that stat in an if statement. e.g.:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Little Sister
if !BCarpen:
arpen += 10
Another way to do it is when you go through the list where your items are in to add their effects, whenever there's an item with a unique effect, you go through the same list again up to the item before the one you're looking at now and check whether the effect's already in your item build.

Disclaimer: be careful with which effects stack. For example, Youmuu + Black Cleaver + Brutalizer armor pen all stacks on each other.

3. Not that I know of, but you can copy them from wikia. I myself used a dictionary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Little Sister
championstats = {}
championstats["Talon"] = [<list with base stats copied from wikia>]
4. + 5. Forget about it. It's retardedly hard to make a functioning code that accounts for every possible scenario. If you want to do that, then you're basically emulating the game itself. Point number 5 is the big offender here: I really suggest theorycrafting a set combo (e.g. x amount of spells + y amount of auto attacks) and calculating the dmg you get off there. Don't even try to calculate how many exact auto attacks you'd get of in a certain amount of time, because that actually depends on how good at the game both you and your ennemy are mechanically (with orbwalking and such). It differs from game to game, it's WAY harder to code, and it won't give you any meaningful results.

About the elixirs: I'd just look at if they're active on your champion. Why would you program them as usable items? You can just look at the dmg one of your combo's deals with an elixir active or with it deactivated.

Hope this helps! If you have more questions, fire away!

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

07-05-2014
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
Has the Urgot rework been setback by Sion or are they being worked on in tandem?
I'll post some more details on Urgot tomorrow. Short version is doing a significant gameplay rework's going to take a lot more art support than I'd originally hoped. As a result a full rework's quite a long way out and so we'll look into some other changes we can make to help him out with his existing assets in the short term.

HigeR

07-05-2014

hi medler, since you're here and your avatar is a yordle! can I ask you... does riot has any plans for Kennen? no one seems to mention him ever!! so... I made a thread concerning his possible issues but no red has given me any input so if you could I'd appreciate it a lot! here's the link to said thread: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...4#post47373754 there's a thread in the community beta as well!

DemiluniS

07-05-2014

a while ago a rioter(not sure if it was you) mentioned that he's looking at lissandra's passive, to make it more usefull and fit her role as a mage initiator, some kind of a shield?
what happened to this idea? her current passive feels pretty awful tbh since even tho she can cast a free spell once in a while you countered it by giving her main poke ability extremely high mana cost, so she basically got no passive.

Godot

07-05-2014

I gotta be that guy.

Give us a riddle to solve about next champion planned please.

Secondly, what are your thoughts on Mordekaiser's gameplay at the moment? No CC and low mobility really hurts his early to mid game in my opinion.