@Riot, Morello, etc: on the topic of overloaded kits and champs having weaknesses

First Riot Post
123456 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Proximus D

06-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meddler View Post
Champions that receive almost all of their kit's damage via a single spell (e.g. Zilean) generally end up with unhealthy and unsatisfying power curves. They tend to bully early and then falling off rapidly post level 9, even if they're supports and damage isn't their primary contribution.
Akali's Q also says "hi".

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

06-28-2014
2 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Meddler, are you implying that Zilean is up for a rework?

Because if you, it'd be nice for a time mage to have a kit that actually makes use of his time mage archetype. Sure would be nice if the most relevant time-related ability in his kit is a bomb named "Time" Bomb and a generic slow/haste.

Also, if you want Zilean to have more than one source of damage asides from a bomb that has nothing to do with time at all outside it's name, how about giving him the ability to haste the opponent to such an extreme that they lose control of their body and degenerate from friction itself? Or reverse time in the form of making enemy skillshots shoot backwards back into the one who launched it?
Yeah, we'd like to rework Zilean's kit at some point and that would definitely include making better use of the time mage archetype, it's a really rich space. Won't be this year at the least though, there are other reworks (visual only like Karthus, gameplay only like Nidalee and full relaunches like Sion) we've already got in progress or planned.

WinbadTheFailer

06-28-2014

Quote:
Yeah, we'd like to rework Zilean's kit at some point and that would definitely include making better use of the time mage archetype, it's a really rich space. Won't be this year at the least though, there are other reworks (visual only like Karthus, gameplay only like Nidalee and full relaunches like Sion) we've already got in progress or planned.
a damage over time 'vortex' might give Zil something else to do (something I came up with for a time-themed assassin kit), though having both his damage spells be AoE might be overkill. Idk how you would really give him a single target damage spell though. it would have to basically be Nasus's Wither with damage attached

Learn 2 Swim

06-28-2014

braum OP
morgana OP
thresh OP
nami OP
leona OP
karma OP

support is the most balanced lane in LoL

alaskaneagle

06-28-2014

Quote:

I'm not really complaining, since I love zil "as is" and am nervous of him being destroyed and brought back as a completely new champ with a completely different feel.

But I remember reading that both Zilean and Poppy were on the scheduled for this year.

Yfrappefort

06-28-2014

Just tell me you will nerf Lee Sin anytime soon. It's almost impossible to play a game he's not in.

Meddler

Lead Champion Designer

06-28-2014
3 of 11 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaneagle View Post

I'm not really complaining, since I love zil "as is" and am nervous of him being destroyed and brought back as a completely new champ with a completely different feel.

But I remember reading that both Zilean and Poppy were on the scheduled for this year.
We were considering Zilean for this year at one point, eventually opted to focus on other champs first. Poppy we are looking at right now, really early stages stuff though to see what potential's there, so neither guaranteed to go ahead with this approach nor on a fixed timetable yet.

Erijian

06-28-2014

So the Fighter changes won't be coming by for a while, I assume?

B3ER

06-28-2014

Meddler my man, we're only halfway into the year. Karthus and Nid are finished. Are you gonna tell me Sion alone will take the remaining 6 months?

exec3

06-28-2014

Quote:
We were considering Zilean for this year at one point, eventually opted to focus on other champs first. Poppy we are looking at right now, really early stages stuff though to see what potential's there, so neither guaranteed to go ahead with this approach nor on a fixed timetable yet.
How hard do you think Poppy will be to make? I'd imagine easier than Sion at least because she only really needs her Passive, R and probably W to be replaced and her Q numbers to be tweaked (it's very mathy with that damage cap) her E->Q combo needs to be retained. And thematically she's pretty solid outside the need to make her fit with other Yordles visually.

123456 ... 10