Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sophitia

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFS All is OP View Post
Ya but how much of those reports were from players who felt that CV was cheating and reported them fro that versus what they said?

And how many of the CV users are more competitive players before getting CV which led to more reports? How many play more games a day than average?

I think my point is does this correlation = causation? Also, were these players often reported before getting CV? Lyte gave those stats in a very ambiguous way.
I've never even heard of anyone reporting a user for CV because it's cheating. Not to mention that most people don't post anything other than "anyone have curse voice?" There's not really anything to report for. I'm sure that Riot threw out reports like this when considering their stats.

The way Lyte presented these stats is pretty striaghtforward. If you used CV, you were 47% more likely to be reported for toxic behavior.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keizgon

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akedomo View Post
The logical middle ground would be implementing something that actually works.

Speech to Text is gimmicky at the best of times. It's often HIGHLY inaccurate, leading to words being typed that don't line up with what you said. You often have to correct it, and this takes additional time. People that have accents, bad microphones, background further decrease the accuracy of Speech to Text programs.

At best, this could be used for recognizing a set amount of lines with a much higher accuracy, but even then it wouldn't allow for the more in-depth conversations you can have with your teammates. Meaning you may as well just use a more in-depth Ping function or a Chat Wheel like DotA's. Even then, this isn't the best case scenario. It's just a compromise.

One of the best companies in the world GOOGLE, has this feature implemented in the youtube videos it displays as Automatic Captions. You can see how well it works by turning it on.

There's a program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking that is, and has been voted best voice recognition software. It's quite accurate, but only after you spend hours training it to recognize your voice patterns. Even then, it still makes quite a few mistakes. I don't think Riot has the ability or resources to implement something of this degree.
I really could care less what your idea of a ideal solution would be. You have none. Voice chat has problems, stated all over this thread. Voice-To-Text has only clarity issues.

You say they don't have the time or resources, yet they were considering doing voice chat in the first place. That feat would be the biggest resource management ever (customer service / server issues) opposed to this.

Admit it. You just don't want a middle ground because you want your way or the highway.


----


Anyway, to those who are interested I started a thread anyway on Voice-To-Text. Please stop by for your interest/support/constructive feedback for it.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...6#post48099206


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xCross

Junior Member

4 Weeks Ago

This really shouldn't need much discussion, trolls and flamers are going to happen regardless of type of communication, it just hurts more when you hear the voice rather than seeing the text for the same reason some people have a harder time flaming those in a chat. You can hear their voice, you realize that its another human being not just some wall of text.

Players that want voice have an amazing option available thanks to Curse, and the players that don't want it can simply choose to not have it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fayatrix

Junior Member

4 Weeks Ago

What's your input on a system based on opt-in voice chat? Basically, defaulted to off but available for those who prefer it. I haven't seen any discussion on this idea--it's always been assumed that it would be an always on feature. I feel like this is an entirely neglected scenario.

The system I keep imagining is kind of like a built in Skype. Once you've queued up with players in champion-select, just opt-in for voice if you want it, and players would see a lit up green icon indicating you're ready for chat--those who want to listen or voice chat as well would opt-in also--those who don't like that kind of system won't.

What research have you done for this? I'm thinking: you have 50% of the players who actually want this. That is a LOT of your players. Can't we meet somewhere in the middle at least?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flyt

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We did a "live" poll in the game client, so that we had a better representative sample of the playerbase. If we did it on the website, we'd only sample the % of players that tend to visit the forums, which are a completely different demographic than the overall playerbase.

I honestly think not. I never once seen anything close to a live poll on my client at any given moment since Curse voice was announced, (And I'm fairly active in the client)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokingPuffin

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayatrix View Post
What's your input on a system based on opt-in voice chat? Basically, defaulted to off but available for those who prefer it. I haven't seen any discussion on this idea--it's always been assumed that it would be an always on feature. I feel like this is an entirely neglected scenario.

The system I keep imagining is kind of like a built in Skype. Once you've queued up with players in champion-select, just opt-in for voice if you want it, and players would see a lit up green icon indicating you're ready for chat--those who want to listen or voice chat as well would opt-in also--those who don't like that kind of system won't.

What research have you done for this? I'm thinking: you have 50% of the players who actually want this. That is a LOT of your players. Can't we meet somewhere in the middle at least?
Optional becomes mandatory, at least in competitive play, because it's a signficant advantage if your team is in voice mode and theirs is in text mode.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LiveYiOrDieHard

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizgon View Post
I really could care less what your idea of a ideal solution would be. You have none. Voice chat has problems, stated all over this thread. Voice-To-Text has only clarity issues.

You say they don't have the time or resources, yet they were considering doing voice chat in the first place. That feat would be the biggest resource management ever (customer service / server issues) opposed to this.

Admit it. You just don't want a middle ground because you want your way or the highway.


----


Anyway, to those who are interested I started a thread anyway on Voice-To-Text. Please stop by for your interest/support/constructive feedback for it.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...6#post48099206
Voice to text is INSANELY expensive to design, and as far as I know, not really all that accurate unless you set pre-defined and pre-trained phrases up beforehand to respond to your voice, sort of like a voice-macro (which you could do yourself with existing software out there). If you have certain (not all) versions of windows. Because all the software I know of that does that uses Windows voice-to-text programming (which is not even in all versions of windows for some reason) rather than spending millions or billions of dollars trying to develop their own.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
15 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCross View Post
This really shouldn't need much discussion, trolls and flamers are going to happen regardless of type of communication, it just hurts more when you hear the voice rather than seeing the text for the same reason some people have a harder time flaming those in a chat. You can hear their voice, you realize that its another human being not just some wall of text.

Players that want voice have an amazing option available thanks to Curse, and the players that don't want it can simply choose to not have it.
I've heard it said often that people believe toxicity is linked to how much anonymity there is in a given context; however, several studies and experiments have shown that that's not true. In fact, the key to whether toxicity is present is not whether there is anonymity, but whether there are consequences for actions.

For example, a lot of news websites and social media sites started adding open comment systems that allowed people to comment on public articles or posts, but only if they logged in to Facebook or other apps that revealed your real name and your profile photo. Very quickly, these sites all realized that reducing the anonymity in these contexts did absolutely nothing in reducing the toxicity of the comments and you still had extremely sexist, racist, prejudice or homophobic comments even when people were forced to reveal their "real" name and profile photo.

I emphasized "real" name because I suppose it's possible for people to create social media accounts that have fake names for the sole purpose of commenting on public articles and posts, but it wasn't the norm by any means.

One of the greatest misunderstandings is that voice chat will reduce anonymity, which will reduce toxicity.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Send Me Lewds

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

I can't believe that you're actually this dead set against voice chat, a feature that should have been implemented years ago. You're a disgrace.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

moonbat

Member

4 Weeks Ago

Wouldn't the toxicity data and report data sync up? Unless you're monitoring chat outside of reports.

I don't think using an FPS is a fair example of data. FPS games are pretty notorious for having younger, more ragey players. It's just their stereotype. My own experiences in voice chat tell me my friends are more toxic than a stranger in voice chat. And it remains consistent when I'm in a voice chat with a duo and they just yell at each other but tell me nice things. Lol.

You want MOBA player data, I'll do my best to voice chat with every random team I can and give you all my data.