Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Purgatio

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegoat63 View Post
You played or sat in while someone played a game of Call of Duty lately? My brother constantly plays on the PS3 and there isnt 2 minutes that will go by without someone using some form of Derogatory slurs.

I'd strongly argue that voice chat decreases toxicity is incorrect.
But you're comparing CoD. A first-person military shooter will obviously draw a different demographic than a fantasy MOBA. That's comparing apples to celestial bodies at that point.

Clubbems

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Snip
I was going to try to pull out a specific point of your quote but jesus the coding is too strong.
Where are you pulling some of these statistics from? like how much more toxic players are during voice chat?

NuckaChucka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocre Top View Post
If you don't care about voice chat, why would you care about it not being in?

Most of the people who don't care about it will likely turn it off and therefore it basically groups the people who are against it with the people who don't care.

So essentially, not caring = no use = the same thing as not wanting it
Or it could be taken as: yeah, I don't care. I might use it if you implement it but it doesn't matter to me if you do or not.

So they either would or wouldn't use it. That is too much of a grey area to lump it to one side or the other.

Sonnington

3 Weeks Ago

That makes sense. Thanks for posting this. Sometimes I feel voice chat would be an awesome addition where I can say, "Hey I'm backing stay safe." "Hey don't engage." Etc, etc. But my calls aren't always correct and sometimes the random stuff players do that I don't agree with win the game for us.

So it's a double edged sword.

Penteano

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocre Top View Post
If you don't care about voice chat, why would you care about it not being in?

Most of the people who don't care about it will likely turn it off and therefore it basically groups the people who are against it with the people who don't care.

So essentially, not caring = no use = the same thing as not wanting it
lol this makes no sense. I don't care about voice chat, wouldn't use it. But I think it's a must for this game. How you count that as same thing as "not wanting it"?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

3 Weeks Ago
11 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubbems View Post
I was going to try to pull out a specific point of your quote but jesus the coding is too strong.
Where are you pulling some of these statistics from? like how much more toxic players are during voice chat?
Which aspect are you curious about?

For part of the analysis you are referring to, we use a sentiment analysis model to review chat logs from a random sample of non-voice chat using players to a random sample of voice-chat using players. Then we break down the analysis in terms of premade sizes, wins versus losses, so on and so forth.

haaaaaaaalp

3 Weeks Ago

Wait, how did you show that voice chat leads to more toxicity when it was never implemented into league? The only reason the current voice chat programs lead to more toxicity is because they are not available to everyone. As a result, there is more toxicity because only part of the team is allowed into the voice chat program. It is inexcusable to apply those statistics to the amount of toxicity that would occur if everyone could connect to the voice chat.

Echoesong

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penteano View Post
lol this makes no sense. I don't care about voice chat, wouldn't use it. But I think it's a must for this game. How you count that as same thing as "not wanting it"?

^This, completely.

Additionally, lumping "I don't care" in with "I definitely don't want it" skews the data completely. The "I don't care" data should be excluded so we can ONLY see "I want it" vs "I don't want it."

haaaaaaaalp

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Which aspect are you curious about?

For part of the analysis you are referring to, we use a sentiment analysis model to review chat logs from a random sample of non-voice chat using players to a random sample of voice-chat using players. Then we break down the analysis in terms of premade sizes, wins versus losses, so on and so forth.
Were all 5 members of each team in the voice-chat program for your testing? Most of the toxicity from the games I have played came from the fact that part of the team was on voice chat and did not communicate with the rest of the team. This would not apply if everyone was on the voice-chat. Can you compare the toxicity from teams with 5 members on voice chat vs teams with 0 members on voice chat? I am pretty sure there will be a DECREASE in toxicity when all 5 members are on voice chat.

Akedomo

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Actually, looking at Elo distributions isn't the right way to analyze something like this. In every game, the "average" Elo or MMR is arbitrary, and chosen by the designers.

For example, if I decided that the matchmaking system sets every League player's Elo/MMR to 2000 when they first join League, you would see over time that the League Elo distribution would have an average of 2000. The fact that DOTA, Smite, League and all these other MOBAs have different distributions of Elo/MMR is just because the designers chose different starting Elo values (and therefore, have different Elo distributions).

Having more female players be "1800 MMR" in League than "1800 MMR" in DOTA isn't a fair comparison... because those numbers mean completely different things in each ecosystem. Read up Elo Systems on Wikipedia if you're curious to know the math behind this.
Starting Elo also has nufink to do with it, aside from the initial rating. If you're bad at the game, you still get put where you belong. That's kinda how Elo works, unless you need to brush up too? You'll keep losing matches and winning very few until you get put in your proper Elo. The same works when you're climbing. You'll win more than you lose, till you start reaching an average of 50% win/loss.

Even if you artifically raised the starting Elo to 2000, Players would still eventually get matched up where they belong. 1700 might become the new Bronze 5, while 2500 the new Diamond 1. You're not trying to tell me that almost everyone in League is Bronze/Silver because that's where they started... Are you? Because not only would that be a lie. You're also forgetting that Riot removed the whole 'Unranked' aspect. So bronze and silver are flooded with players that don't deserve to be in either of them especially not now as the system is setup.

I thank you for your comment, but seeing as my point was that most players in DotA have a higher average MMR(after EARNING IT), and more of the players are around the middle of the MMR pool. There will be more female players of higher skill levels in DotA. This in part is due to the larger difference in skill needed to play DotA vs League. Casual vs Semi-Casual.

Makes me wonder how many Silvers are in this game that don't deserve to be in Silver, yet can't drop a division because of the system you have in place now.