Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OverIord Malz

4 Weeks Ago

Also, from my experience, I've talked to many many people from league, and they were all either cool people or they were neutral (e.g. boring) and none of them bat an eye at my gender.
Except one, but he was just removed/dealt with. Anyways, I don't know why people are so against the idea of voice chat if you can have the option to disable it altogether.

BlindandCynical

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Weeks Ago

"all" chat should only be text, until the post game screen.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
10 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akedomo View Post
Mhm.. and?

I actually do have a claim, Since the spread of players in DotA is significantly different to that of League. There's more higher ranked players(and a higher % average) than League has. Right now, pretty much everything under plat in League is 98% of the playerbase. DotA does not follow this, in either Ranked or Unranked. One of the reasons the lower MMR doesn't have a huge % attached to it is because players that can't play DotA well, often don't play at all, or very often since it's not as fun. So the Average MMR is around the middle, which in League terms would probably be about mid gold. Higher Average skill level of all players equates to having higher skilled females in the game. Especially since I constantly see them playing, are in teams with them, and know a few myself.

5% 1100 10% 1500 25% 2000 50% 2250 75% 2731 90% 3200 95% 3900 99% 4100
100% 4300+
It's VERY close to this(this is unranked MMR)
I also was not saying that it was a justification as to why women are treated differently in this game. I was merely stating it as one of the possibilities as to why. Which in all likelihood is probably correct, knowing male behavior.
Actually, looking at Elo distributions isn't the right way to analyze something like this. In every game, the "average" Elo or MMR is arbitrary, and chosen by the designers.

For example, if I decided that the matchmaking system sets every League player's Elo/MMR to 2000 when they first join League, you would see over time that the League Elo distribution would have an average of 2000. The fact that DOTA, Smite, League and all these other MOBAs have different distributions of Elo/MMR is just because the designers chose different starting Elo values (and therefore, have different Elo distributions).

Having more female players be "1800 MMR" in League than "1800 MMR" in DOTA isn't a fair comparison... because those numbers mean completely different things in each ecosystem. Read up Elo Systems on Wikipedia if you're curious to know the math behind this.

Purgatio

4 Weeks Ago

If they do add a way to record voice chat, it would require legal disclaimers out the ass that any audio present in-game will be recorded for some legal mumbo jumbo about quality assurance. I mean it's like when you call into tech support and say "this call will be monitored/recorded." They would simply need that disclaimer when you turn it on/opt in/activate it whatever.

Domo Ahrigato

4 Weeks Ago

I'd have to say yes, simply because it opens up a new level of play in Solo Queue games that isn't available. When you need to do something right then you often can't because you'd have to type it out before your teammates know what you're trying to do, and then the opportunity passes. Voice chat provides a much more interesting game experience, and yes, you can just mute people who are jerks.

HardProduction3

4 Weeks Ago

People are just too negative when it comes to changes.

Riot, you should read the thread from EUW forum!

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.co...1787862&page=6

Most of the people in EU seems to love and support the idea with Voice chat! Please spend a lil' bit of your time there too as well, Lyte!

Nickie

4 Weeks Ago

Put it in and give the option of turning it on and off in the options menu, no need for discussion. Its always better to have choices than to not have them at all.

Domo Ahrigato

4 Weeks Ago

I usually find that people over voice chat are less rage-y than ones over text simply because people don't want to make fools of themselves in actual human interactions, and voice chat is a big step closer to that than text is.

Hysteriaa

4 Weeks Ago

@lyte you never mentioned how people are less inclined to rage at people over voice, than typing with their keyboard. Some psychology ****... People won't rage as much on voice as they do typing. Toxicity would be DECREASED with voice chat

SpookyMage

4 Weeks Ago

Why would you lump people who "didn't care" about voice chat in with people who actively didn't want voice chat?