Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akedomo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
There are far more girls playing this game than you know. Most of them choose to hide their gender in game.
Mhm.. and?



Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
You have no data to back the claim that HoN/DotA female players are more skilled than LoL female players. Even if you did, that is no justification for treating female players badly.
I actually do have a claim, Since the spread of players in DotA is significantly different to that of League. There's more higher ranked players(and a higher % average) than League has. Right now, pretty much everything under plat in League is 98% of the playerbase. DotA does not follow this, in either Ranked or Unranked. One of the reasons the lower MMR doesn't have a huge % attached to it is because players that can't play DotA well, often don't play at all, or very often since it's not as fun. So the Average MMR is around the middle, which in League terms would probably be about mid gold. Higher Average skill level of all players equates to having higher skilled females in the game. Especially since I constantly see them playing, are in teams with them, and know a few myself.

5% 1100 10% 1500 25% 2000 50% 2250 75% 2731 90% 3200 95% 3900 99% 4100
100% 4300+
It's VERY close to this(this is unranked MMR)
I also was not saying that it was a justification as to why women are treated differently in this game. I was merely stating it as one of the possibilities as to why. Which in all likelihood is probably correct, knowing male behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodKilleR 999 View Post
You do realize even if everyone went up 10 tiers skill wise the distribution would still be the same right?
Whats your point? Bronze will still be Bronze in this game. It has to do with the average players knowledge, and willingness to play this game with even a bit of seriousness.

This game is Casual(no matter how much E-sports they shove down my throat), so that won't happen. Thus most of the playerbase is stuck in Bronze and Silver. They simply lack the drive/motivation/knowledge/time to get to a higher ranking.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

06-27-2014
9 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearbeer View Post
Were there any notable differences between regions? Just curious.
We didn't see any huge outliers in this research across regions, but there were some nuances in regions like Korea, where many players play in PC Cafes and not at home.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Overlord Malz

Member

06-27-2014

I think you should be prompted in champion select whether you want to join the voice chat channel or not. Or, you join automatically, but there is a mini HuD that allows you to leave the voice chat/mute your mic and everybody else.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PermaFreeze

Senior Member

06-27-2014

I would like voice chat because it offers tons of advantages to strategy and teams. calls that you just cant make in chat in time. It would help greatly but I dont want there to be cases where you can be reported because you dont communicate with it. If i dont want to talk to the raging twelve year olds, I dont want to be reported for refusing to communicate.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoRekt

Junior Member

06-27-2014

Please read

I already posted something similar on Reddit, but I would like to skip the whole "stats" discussion and just talk about the practicality of voice chat.

Firstly, I know this is not a logical argument, but I thought I would share my experience on Curse Voice as well as Dota 2. When Cure Voice was most prevalent I met a lot of really cool people, that I am friends with still today. Almost every game there were multiple people communicating and coordinating to win, and it was a really cool experience. I felt my self less likely to get angry at mistakes and rage in chat because it wasn't anonymous like text. My experience in Dota 2 was similar. I was a completely new player, and some of the people in my first ever game were clearly smurfs. I was getting completely destroyed, yet this guy on voice chat was completely calm and was helping me and explaining things. It was the complete polar opposite of how it is in League, I probably would of been reporting or flamed in League.

Secondly, you could set it to off by default, and only let those who want to participate opt-in.

Thirdly, lately Riot has been talking A LOT about clarity in its gameplay and UI. In my opinion the argument could be made that text chat is not clear AT ALL. I think it leads to tons of frustration in players with how 1-dimensional it is. The fact that text-chat is slow and you can't play the game while communicating at the same time is the biggest problem. True clarity would be the option to actually communicate efficiently and clearly with your teammates via voice chat.

Finally, how do you punish people who use it to be toxic? Well obviously this is in my opinion the only downside to the system. It is a small price to pay for such extreme benefits. A simple solution would be to implement the "chat-restriction" feature that silences the player after being reported to many times.

Also I would just like to say that using the excuse of "people will be toxic on it" is not fair at all. If you guys at Riot never made anything that had a chance of toxic interaction then there wouldn't even be a game called League of Legends today.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Purgatio

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian Melodies View Post
What's the point of even having a voice chat if I'm going to end up muting teammates every game? Written chat can easily be ignored without actively blocking the person (so if they type something relevant to the game you can still see it), and written chat leaves proofs for the tribunal to take actions. "LOL GO BACK TO THE KITCHEN MAKE ME SAMMICH SUCK MY DICK ***** LOL" as spoken words isn't that easily ignored without actually blocking the person (then I miss out potential game calls he could make, essentially I'm being punished more than he is), and spoken chat leaves no proofs for the tribunal to take actions. As I said unless Riot was willing to record every game's voice chat and send the recording to the tribunal along with the in-game chat (written) for people to review, the voice chat would just be that wonderful place where you get to be a giant scumbag without repercussions.
Yes, but that's assuming the worst of each game. I know the community hasn't exactly been overly kind once they figure out you're a girl (dwelling in your mom's basement ruins your ability to interact with the opposite *** on a functional level), but I doubt it would be that way with EVERY game. I mean if the voice chat does get implemented, and you do always mute them, you'll likely mute their text chat because they're being dickholes anyway. It's just giving you an extra button to hit when someone's being a ******nozzle, but at the same time, in the case you have a good set of teammates, it'll grant an additional level of communication for a team-oriented game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Windstorm

Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Most of the designers and researchers involved with Player Behavior have published papers in the past, so we definitely feel your pain. However, I hope you understand why it doesn't make sense for us to fully publish detailed methodology in the main post.

To answer some of your initial concerns:
1) It's super easy for us to identify the use of voice chat through a few different approaches. One, for some apps we can detect whether they interacted with the LOL client in some way. Two, we can confirm this with a end-of-game survey asking players if they used voice chat in the current match (and studies have shown that players are pretty honest with these types of surveys, especially if it's a neutral activity and not something viewed as socially undesirable). Three, we can analyze chat logs to determine the exchanging of voice chat information. Using combinations of these heuristics and others, we can figure out who in the set of 10 players is using voice chat.

2) After figuring out #1, yes, we do split the analysis into games that are full premades vs full strangers and everything in-between. We do these splits for most analyses, even when looking at things like Reports and Honor. We have seen time and time again there's huge differences in the data given the varying premade sizes in each game.

3) We actually also separate the analysis into Wins and Losses, as we sometimes see toxicity levels are higher only during losses for some factors; however, in this case, the numbers trended similarly for both wins and losses.
thanks for the clarification. I understand that the main posts are generalized for a layman audience, and this also helps answer a few questions I have had about prior statements made by the player behavior team. thanks for the response, even if its limited for good reason.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

icegoat63

Senior Member

06-27-2014

The only way I could see this working is if we were able to toggle channels.

Channel 1: Team
Channel 2: All (if All was even something they were considering which I hope they're not)
Channel 3: Party (friends)

In this case it would be useful. Often my friends and I have 8+ people on and we do Custom scrims for fun. It would be nice to split up into Parties but yet still be able to switch channels to All.

If we're just filtered into a single Room though during champ select..... Im totally against Voice Chat.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mediocre Top

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStraitJung View Post
I have transitioned into only playing league with people in a league clan because I don't find the game fun without talking anymore. that's some amazing results on toxicity but i'd rather talk with a toxic teammate on voice chat than talk to them in chat. I've played games with negative and mean people on skype or teamspeak (they are never mean to me personally) but I just delete them and never see them again. I also meet tons of new friends using voice chat.

I think people who don't want voice chat are just anti-social or don't want to win games. I really don't understand the reasoning behind wanting to play a team game without a team.
Imagine how bad counterstrike or something would be without voice chat. I also don't meet that many young people on league, the most angry people are like 18ish. People complaining about 12 year olds most likely have not played league while communicating with other players.


Of course if you invented it you would need some type of honor system (but with a thumbs down option as well) I would love to go into a game with a ribbon saying i'm a good communicator.
Mhm, what a good way to insult others!

I don't want voice chat and I'm not anti-social. We complain about people like you who assume things such as this. We don't want to communicate with others because we've been there, played Xbox Live CoD already, and HATED the community on there. You'd be yelled at for the tone of your voice, if you were a girl or something else. You guys don't understand that this will ALWAYS happen. Dota 2 has it, and guess what? Half of the sounds you hear consist of gargling, dishes clanging, mothers yelling and teammates yelling at you. "Omfg, who the **** is this noob? Why are you playing Dota? Go fk urself" was literally the first things I heard when playing Dota 2 for my first time. What makes you think this would be ANY DIFFERENT to our community of equal proportions?

To those saying you can mute, good luck with that because the person being muted and the people who mute every would probably do a lot worse considering they're the only player who doesn't hear their team's callouts etc. And if you don't want to lose, you HAVE to turn it on, and if you don't you can actually get reported for that.

The entire voice chat thing is stupid, and even with Lyte's statistics pointing out that Voice Chat = Bad, you still want it in because you want to be able to talk to others who most likely will ruin your experience? Okay man, have fun with that. The only places I can see voice chat working are at Plat + because you'll be playing with the same people over and over again, and even then there are people you hate.

TL;DR: Voice Chat stinks and your argument is all subjective and based off of "Well, if the community was good..." when we know for a fact it isn't.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aeolian Melodies

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegoat63 View Post
This creates an interesting question to. How much will be kept by Riot? Didnt facebook just attempt a "listen in" app and People have been throwing giant fits about what audio they keep and what they dont? As a violation of privacy.
I hadn't even thought of that but now that you mention it it's probably not even legal for Riot to record a potential voice chat and keep the data on their servers, meaning it would be impossible to moderate.