Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davin

Senior User Researcher

06-27-2014
7 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazull View Post
I think instead of the website, perhaps a live poll in the client would be a better idea. The thing I really dislike when statistics are presented in this discussion is that Lyte presented his statistics and then wrote off the possibility that other areas.. such as polls on the forums are invalid without actually pinpointing why his statistics should be taking as valid. In HIS opinion GD visitors are a unique subset of League of Legends and that invalidates statistics taken here. So, I have to ask... If the GD polls are invalid because they are a unique subset, then why do any reds come here for anything? Why are champ reworks developed with the influence of the opinions of a "unique subset of League players?" I'm not saying its the sole source for how Riot gets things done but I mean if our opinion matters and gets used in the consideration of other things, how is a poll on the forums where people clearly spend their non-play time because of their passion for the game not valid?
It definitely doesn't invalidate statistics taken here, but those statistics are gathered under very different conditions (non-random sample, self-selection, different sample characteristics in that it's folks who visit and post on forums, etc.).

For things that affect the whole community, we can't just rely solely on what a non-representative subset says. It wouldn't be responsible or scientific. But that doesn't mean it's useless or that we should ignore it! We sure as hell will consider it alongside all the other information we gather, though. We're not just slaves to data, we use a data-informed approach (i.e., gather information that helps illuminate a situation).

So when it comes to things like voice chat, research into the situation includes surveys, in-client random sample polling, analytics of what happens in those games, and examination of community sentiment. They all factor in. Multi-modal investigation is the name of the game

icegoat63

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry0uk View Post
exactly.... you dont want voice chat...don't use it
What about cases like me. I regularly have a party of 3 or 4. What if we want to use it but dont want to run the risk of having that 5th wheel being a giant D-Bag

JabbaClown

06-27-2014

Personally IMHO if you have to mute someone i feel it kinda defeats the purpose of having voice communication. Though that all depends if it becomes a bad habit in Solo-queue.

Also im more worried about will this strengthen the communication or will this divide it more? Usually when i play with my friends over skype we tend to almost never notice the 5th guy who is not with us.

xSophia

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegoat63 View Post
What about cases like me. I regularly have a party of 3 or 4. What if we want to use it but dont want to run the risk of having that 5th wheel being a giant D-Bag
Im pretty sure if he sees you all are friends he wouldnt be a giant D-bag..

Windstorm

06-27-2014

so, after reading all four posts carefully I'm not entirely convinced your results aren't tainted by variables you've missed in the equation.

the first post seems to completely disregard the old adage of statistics: "correlation does not necessarily imply causation"

I'd be very interested in the methods used to determine how a voice chat was being used, and more importantly what % of the games participants were using it, and which side they were on

too often I see these comments about toxic games, and there is never an indicator given if it everyone in the game that is experiencing it or just the losing side. from a cursory examination, you have several problems:

1. how to identify the use of a voice communication tool
  2. needing to identify which players of the set of 10 are using the tool
  3. using #2, what is the split of people using voice on each side
  4. given the above, is the toxicity apparent only when losing?
  5. compare toxicity rates of ONLY losing teams to losing teams, and winning teams to winning teams, to get a better appreciation of the ACTUAL impact, instead of "this game was more toxic generally". this helps remove the problem of variability in how teams react to losing situations from game to game
  6. start using this perspective to see how it alters with demographics.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a cynical ******* because I'm so used to reading peer-reviewed journals for human factors, but without exposure and explanation of the methods used its pretty much impossible to take what is written here seriously at face value, especially when there is peer-reviewed behavioral research that both agrees and disagrees with the points presented.

note that I am not saying what has been presented is outright wrong, it could be quite accurate, but without more information it is extremely difficult to judge and create an informed opinion.

edit: oh noes downvotes, heaven forbid one behavioral scientist asks another for clarification or more information with which to draw a conclusion.

Aeolian Melodies

06-27-2014

I would not want voice chat to be in this game. I'm legit likely to quit LoL altogether (and this is coming from someone who's been playing almost daily for over three years) if it were implemented. It's a terrible idea, I don't need people knowing every game that I'm a female player and giving me kitchen jokes, I don't need people making fun of my French accent, and I especially don't need to hear 4 strangers' voice speaking about random ****s when I'm trying to play the game to the best of my abilities. Voice chat is a mean of communication that Riot could not moderate, meaning some raging 12 years old gets to call me a ***** for 20+ minutes and the tribunal/Riot has no proof of it when I report him, unless you want to record every voice chat conversation ever so they can be viewed in the tribunal, but seeing as we don't even have game replays built in the client, that seems highly unlikely.

Inb4 "but you will probably be able to turn it off!". Hahahahaha, sure. Yeah, I might be technically able to turn it of. In practice, I won't. Because even if Riot was to clearly state that it's optional (aka not using it does not equal a ban for refusing to communicate) and give us an easy way to disable it if we want to opt out of the voice chat, I'm quite certain refusing to use chat would lead to a fair amount of toxicity ("omg such a ****ing ****** won't turn on his chat must be some ****ty Mexican").

Penteano

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaClown View Post
Personally IMHO if you have to mute someone i feel it kinda defeats the purpose of having voice communication. Though that all depends if it becomes a bad habit in Solo-queue.
lol it already happens with the chat we have now

Epjest

06-27-2014

Okay. This is fairly ludicrous.

I would venture to guess that VERY FEW Rioter's play DotA 2 frequently enough to be exposed to the built in chat to have a proper opinion on it.

I have played League of Legends for nearing FIVE years. In Five years I can't count how many raging players I've seen in chat.

I have played DotA 2 for nearing TWO years. In Two years, I've only ever muted FOUR people. Two of which had horrible mic's but wouldn't stop talking.

I've played well over 6k games of League and 2k games of DotA 2.

A built in Voice Chat is NOTHING but an improvement to this genre.

Nearbeer

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It's a small pop-up at the end of game that was sent out to a random sampling of players. There's usually no need to send a pop-up to every single player in League; in the social sciences, they've done a lot of work showing that surveying a % of the population can usually get meaningful results that represent the entire population as long as the sampling comes from a representative sample (which is why sampling on the forums would be inaccurate). Many social science studies may survey a few hundred people, but in League we usually survey thousands to tens of thousands and usually do surveys for each server separately.
Were there any notable differences between regions? Just curious.

MobileVortex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

i think the only factor that should be taken here is that it will greatly enhance player communication and allows for better gameplay. To hide behind potential "toxicity" as a reason not to do it seems like a cop-out to me.

This should have been done ages ago, as well as an in-clent replay system.