Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chess435

4 Weeks Ago

Question: What happens to the toxicity numbers if you factor out players with chat restrictions, who would be likely excluded from a hypothetical voice chat system?

icegoat63

4 Weeks Ago

There arent to many changes that I have been this concerned about. Voice Chat is about the only thing Riot could implement that would make me stop playing League. I've played since S1, lived through what? 4 years now of just pings and typing.

Having played plenty of other games with Cross-Comms... I left them and was a completely happier person because of it.

I play league on a regular basis with friends and we do use Skype, However league is a completely casual game to me. If Im forced to listen to some raging teenager who thinks he's the next LCS god calling me a ******.... I will seriously leave this game.

PapaFizz

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Diary View Post
142% of the league community is immature and would make 1048% of the players not use voice chat

I swear numbers are right I double checked em
But Santa always triple checks his naughty lists!

Myst

4 Weeks Ago

So just because some people don't want to use chat with random strangers it means that the one's who do shouldn't be allowed to have that option?

How about you give people the option to use their mics or the options to mute their mics/ other player's mics instead of just denying people the opportunity to enjoy the game more via chatting altogether?

Reprisal35

4 Weeks Ago

I'm more curious as to how do you know when we are using a voice communication software or not. Just because we are in a premade does not mean we automatically use skype, teamspeak or other voice communication software. There are plenty of instance where I see premade, including my own, where we still use the text as a mean of communication, or continue to use it even though we are communicating mostly in teamspeak. What I also want to know is if your percentage takes into account if these verbal abuse were directed to either the enemy team, the player not in premade group, or within the premade group. I've seen a lot of premade cursing and insulting each other will zero ill intent behind it (this includes racism, sexism, homophobia, and verbal abuse). I'm not saying I condone it, but just cause bad words are being used doesn't mean it's being used in a negative way. I'm sure you know that depending on how the word are being used, it can have multiple meaning and can also be a positive thing as well, some more so than others.

Aerothal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
...because being a 12 year old boy is treated so much better by this community?

I don't share your confidence. Much smaller things than voice chat have caused dramatic changes in player harassment. Remember how the honor system, which is just a few buttons and a couple ribbons, cut toxic behavior in half in the month after its release?
yeah i remember that. and then it was abandoned. completely. still wonder why.

and btw, how in the world can you take that comment serious?
I even followed it up with a "but now for real".

Ry0uk

4 Weeks Ago

@Lyte,

VoiceChat allows for multiple things:

-Not dying while typing (which happens surprisingly to many people)
-allows for people to feel more involved "yo whats goin yasuo, arre you ready to wombo combo !!" make people feel like they are really part of a team with mic's on and action
-allows for MIA's better called. If someone forgets to pping, they'lll say it over mic" yo bro I think malz left mid"
-allows for more action packed teamfights (OHHHH PENTAKILLL, NICE BROOO LET'S GO, thanks for the shield man"
-allows for map awareness overrall, players can tell you and ping where things are warded or who's coming, or better take the "leader: position and say we should take inhib etc and not waste time typing

what about toxic players thatcall us names etc..and rage..........................mute button will litterally just stop that person from annoying you. And if they chat rage, you can report. and otherwise...oh well dont even have to report him, as others will mute him each time he rages..
LYTE REPLY TO THIS POST !!!

PS: have option to use voice chat at all or not....it's that simple, if you don't want to hear anyone or whatever...just have option to not use it, or simply a "mute all" button. or a mute all button + yourself type of thing

SmokingPuffin

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akedomo View Post
As if we can't already tell the majority of the time who's a girl in League of Legends..*Cough* Super girly names *Cough*
There are far more girls playing this game than you know. Most of them choose to hide their gender in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akedomo View Post
Maybe the difference between the way girls are treated in HoN/DotA and League of Legends is that in HoN/DotA, they're noticeably more skilled, and in League they're not much more than supports or bad players in general, at least the majority of them aren't.(You have to admit, having 98% of your playerbase below plat/diamond is kinda sad)
You have no data to back the claim that HoN/DotA female players are more skilled than LoL female players. Even if you did, that is no justification for treating female players badly.

Ry0uk

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volor Flex View Post
Everytime I've had random people in a VOIP during a ranked game, it's always been a positive experience. No one raged, they were extremely positive. It makes me question where these statistics come from.

*edit*
I also don't understand why an opt out option wouldn't solve the problems for the other people. Don't want to use voice chat? Opt out. Boom, you never have to hear anyones voice ever, if you don't want to.

exactly.... you dont want voice chat...don't use it

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
6 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerothal View Post
i have played nearly every day since season 2 and somehow "missed" that poll.
was it selective? who was polled? when was that?
It's a small pop-up at the end of game that was sent out to a random sampling of players. There's usually no need to send a pop-up to every single player in League; in the social sciences, they've done a lot of work showing that surveying a % of the population can usually get meaningful results that represent the entire population as long as the sampling comes from a representative sample (which is why sampling on the forums would be inaccurate). Many social science studies may survey a few hundred people, but in League we usually survey thousands to tens of thousands and usually do surveys for each server separately.