Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nimir Rah

06-27-2014

I understand. I do. I guess that's why Curse Voice was liked by so many; you could choose whether you got it or not, but now it's suddenly not an option. Even I'm conflicted about whether to use it or not for personal reasons. There will always be toxicity and we can't get rid of it completely.

Just that in solo queue, especially for ranked, it's frustrating when you ping but people don't notice. Then blame you for not calling an mia. But I called it TWICE in the span of a few seconds. Some people just don't notice or pay attention.

And as a support player, I have to be pro-active about making up for other people's mistakes. I need to be able to tell my ADC quickly that someone is coming down the river. I do it with pings, they don't always pay attention, and I still get blamed. It's frustrating in those instances I suppose.

Fisherman Fizz

06-27-2014

I wouldn't want this added, but I bet that data would be a lot different if games with voice chat got their own queue so that everyone in the game would be using it and no communication breakups would happen between people using voice chat and people that opted out of it.

SmokingPuffin

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholdstare13 View Post
The ONLY downside to voice chat is that it makes reports harder to analyze.
There are many more downsides to be found here. Just off the top of my head:

1. If voice chat becomes possible, every competitive solo queue player will need a mic and probably a headset. That's stuff quite a few players don't have today.
2. If voice chat becomes how your team communicates, you can't play the game with the sound off.
3. Text chat has less annoyance potential than voice chat. I don't want to have to choose between hearing your obnoxious music or not hearing your calls.
4. As mentioned previously, female gamers tend to be treated badly when they become identifiably female on the internet.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

06-27-2014
5 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elazull View Post
I think instead of the website, perhaps a live poll in the client would be a better idea. The thing I really dislike when statistics are presented in this discussion is that Lyte presented his statistics and then wrote off the possibility that other areas.. such as polls on the forums are invalid without actually pinpointing why his statistics should be taking as valid. In HIS opinion GD visitors are a unique subset of League of Legends and that invalidates statistics taken here. So, I have to ask... If the GD polls are invalid because they are a unique subset, then why do any reds come here for anything? Why are champ reworks developed with the influence of the opinions of a "unique subset of League players?" I'm not saying its the sole source for how Riot gets things done but I mean if our opinion matters and gets used in the consideration of other things, how is a poll on the forums where people clearly spend their non-play time because of their passion for the game not valid?
The forum population isn't an invalid population. It all depends what type of question you are asking, or what discussions you are trying to have. If you're trying to ask the overall playerbase how they feel about voice chat, then it's better to do it in-game to get the most representative sample of players.

However, the forum population is really engaged and passionate about certain topics, and tend to be players who participate in Ranked Modes. So, it's perfectly fitting to engage the forum playerbase on issues like champion balance or issues related to competitive League.

SmokingPuffin

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerothal View Post
or the girls could all say:
"i'm not female, i'm a 12 y/o boy..."
but now for real, i might have too much faith in the community, but i really dont think that player harassment, even gender related would spike if VC was available.
...because being a 12 year old boy is treated so much better by this community?

I don't share your confidence. Much smaller things than voice chat have caused dramatic changes in player harassment. Remember how the honor system, which is just a few buttons and a couple ribbons, cut toxic behavior in half in the month after its release?

MackleDoge

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We did a "live" poll in the game client, so that we had a better representative sample of the playerbase. If we did it on the website, we'd only sample the % of players that tend to visit the forums, which are a completely different demographic than the overall playerbase.
You're a brave soul to come back to this thread with all the garbage they are bashing you with. Hope you guys keep voice chat out of League. I won't deny it could improve specific circumstances in soloqueue (let's be honest, ranked 5's already use voice chat with a third party application, don't like saying they need it) but the amount of issues that come back from adding in voice chat is just nowhere near acceptable from my perspective.

Akedomo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
Among other reasons, I don't want voice chat because it's a really bad deal for female players. Much of the community treats any gamer who becomes identifiably female quite badly. You get tasteless comments like "**** or gtfo", harassment, sometimes even outright stalking. The result is that most female players try hard to avoid revealing their gender in game.

The moment that voice chat becomes a thing, it's no longer reasonable to avoid revealing your gender while still communicating with your team. Maybe someday the LoL community will be cool enough that being female on the internet won't be a lame experience, but that's not where we are today.
As if we can't already tell the majority of the time who's a girl in League of Legends..*Cough* Super girly names *Cough*

Let me tell you though, I have been playing DotA 2(and HoN) for well over 4 years now, and if there happens to be a girl in voice chat, most people don't even pay heed unless she's specifically talking to you. It might be a bit different in this hormone driven game, but it could also be a complete non-issue.

Maybe the difference between the way girls are treated in HoN/DotA and League of Legends is that in HoN/DotA, they're noticeably more skilled, and in League they're not much more than supports or bad players in general, at least the majority of them aren't.(You have to admit, having 98% of your playerbase below plat/diamond is kinda sad).

From my personal experience though, I don't think I've ever seen a girl in DotA/HoN told to stfu, or stalked. Maybe hit on once or twice. But hell, I'll even do that to the guys in the game if they make a play that was really good. I don't think I've ever seen a girl get upset about anything said to her in either game.

Future Diary

06-27-2014

142% of the league community is immature and would make 1048% of the players not use voice chat

I swear numbers are right I double checked em

Volor Flex

06-27-2014

Everytime I've had random people in a VOIP during a ranked game, it's always been a positive experience. No one raged, they were extremely positive. It makes me question where these statistics come from.

*edit*
I also don't understand why an opt out option wouldn't solve the problems for the other people. Don't want to use voice chat? Opt out. Boom, you never have to hear anyones voice ever, if you don't want to.

Aerothal

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We did a "live" poll in the game client, so that we had a better representative sample of the playerbase. If we did it on the website, we'd only sample the % of players that tend to visit the forums, which are a completely different demographic than the overall playerbase.
i have played nearly every day since season 2 and somehow "missed" that poll.
was it selective? who was polled? when was that?