Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Oh Muh Gah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingPuffin View Post
Optional chat becomes mandatory very quickly in any competitive game. It's like saying WoW mods are optional for arena players.
Yeah, because it's totally "required" on DOTA2 who has had voice chat for how long now?

Zuphlas

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorbache View Post
But then, do you want them to spend a dime on this when you can use an alternative software? I really don't want them to pay for new servers just for friend list voice chat when there are a better need for them! Not saying what!
Agreed. If it's just between people already on your friends list then there's no point, they'd waste time and money on a feature that has no purpose - not as long as there are free and commonly used alternatives.

Penteano

06-27-2014

Quote:
Optional chat becomes mandatory very quickly in any competitive game. It's like saying WoW mods are optional for arena players.
Almost everything you need in LoL is in the smart ping. Need some more like "Gank" "Wait" "Now" or something like that but a voice chat wouldn't become mandatory. Can't compare this ot a mod IMO.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

06-27-2014
4 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwem View Post
Lyte ask your co-workers to put a live poll on the main page of this website. Then will we see who's actually correct.
We did a "live" poll in the game client, so that we had a better representative sample of the playerbase. If we did it on the website, we'd only sample the % of players that tend to visit the forums, which are a completely different demographic than the overall playerbase.

Kholdstare13

06-27-2014

The ONLY downside to voice chat is that it makes reports harder to analyze. You lose the evidence a chatlog provides, meaning real toxicity is harder to prove, while false reports can't be disproven. If there were maybe a back-end voice-to-text (even a bad one) for tribunal purposes only (only uploads to server when reports are filed) it might solve this?

I've tried Dota2 before, and while I'm not a fan of the game, the only toxicity I saw was was abuse of abilities for trolling (while remaining silent). It's hard to tell which way it would go.

The biggest question is, is it really that costly to put in for a trial run? Even if it were to be converted into a buddy-only system if things didn't work out with public chat?

Penteano

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorbache View Post
But then, do you want them to spend a dime on this when you can use an alternative software? I really don't want them to pay for new servers just for friend list voice chat when there are a better need for them! Not saying what!
Then add a chat to use with whoever you want whenever you want IF you want.
I know what you mean, just tired of the lame excuses that are used for some stuff. LoL is already in a point where things won't get worse or better.
But I recognize a voice chat would be impossible to find bad behavior. That's why it shouldn't be mandatory and people should have an option to keep it OFF. A voice chat needs to come together with a better smart ping system.
I wouldn't use this with strangers anyway, but I see no reason to not add it in the game

Dokusei

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We did a "live" poll in the game client, so that we had a better representative sample of the playerbase. If we did it on the website, we'd only sample the % of players that tend to visit the forums, which are a completely different demographic than the overall playerbase.
we want east coast servers and riot isn't providing why is this?

xSophia

06-27-2014

Quote:
Among other reasons, I don't want voice chat because it's a really bad deal for female players. Much of the community treats any gamer who becomes identifiably female quite badly. You get tasteless comments like "**** or gtfo", harassment, sometimes even outright stalking. The result is that most female players try hard to avoid revealing their gender in game.

The moment that voice chat becomes a thing, it's no longer reasonable to avoid revealing your gender while still communicating with your team. Maybe someday the LoL community will be cool enough that being female on the internet won't be a lame experience, but that's not where we are today.
I've personally never been treated badly when using Curse so it isnt a bad deal for all female players and it isnt most of the community that treats females like that. But at the end of the day if you cant stand the heat get out the kitchen. No one makes you use VC.

Aerothal

06-27-2014

Quote:
Among other reasons, I don't want voice chat because it's a really bad deal for female players. Much of the community treats any gamer who becomes identifiably female quite badly. You get tasteless comments like "**** or gtfo", harassment, sometimes even outright stalking. The result is that most female players try hard to avoid revealing their gender in game.

The moment that voice chat becomes a thing, it's no longer reasonable to avoid revealing your gender while still communicating with your team. Maybe someday the LoL community will be cool enough that being female on the internet won't be a lame experience, but that's not where we are today.
or the girls could all say:
"i'm not female, i'm a 12 y/o boy..."
but now for real, i might have too much faith in the community, but i really dont think that player harassment, even gender related would spike if VC was available.

Ry0uk

06-27-2014

ADD VOICECHAT: The people who care won't flame.. and if someone's annoying, mute them and nobody has to care about that peron anymore. It REALLY is that simple..just mute toxic players and the toxic is gone. same as in game...i just mute people who keep beetchin... if they dont stop..i mute, problem solved...completly