Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NuckaChucka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstryde View Post
The point has generally been made already. For those that don't use it, the experience may be extremely sub-optimal. In solo queue... if 3 members are on and 2 are not. People will neglect to ping even more. Communication between the users and non-users will become even worse than it is.
Then people will start losing games and realize how much communication in the game plays a huge factor. Therefore increasing the overall skill of the players when they learn that pings + voice chat work so well. Not only will it increase skill but it will allow for players to know what teamates are thinking because they can communicate quickly. Which should make for better teamwork, coordination and play making.

Which brings me back to why not?

Why not increase the skill level?

Wait. I think I just figured it out.

This is too much of a casual game for the masses isn't it? This is the only reason why VOIP wouldn't be implemented. Riot would never tell us this tho. I guess it is pretty hard to manage a game for the masses and keep it casual and competitive at the same time. VOIP in a way removes the casual player aspect, which I'm going to take an educated guess and say that it is a HUGE amount of their income.

Okay, I think that all just made some sort of sense in my head.

So I guess VOIP would not be healthy for a game/environment like this.

Man, I'm exhausted lol.

hartar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

3 Weeks Ago

The times i played League using Skype with stranger,i dint had any problem. The funny thing is,the time i had problem with someone on skype play league was with my older brother.

I still think voice chat can be good, it humanize the team.

T3hLawLFirm

3 Weeks Ago

So this idea came out after Curse decided not to wait for Riot to add it? Sounds like someone is jealous and wants to steal someones idea.

Either way adding east coast servers is more important cause curse voice already beat riot to it and for those who don't use curse they have skype, ts, vent, raidcall, steam, etc..

DancerofWar

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaChucka View Post
Then people will start losing games and realize how much communication in the game plays a huge factor. Therefore increasing the overall skill of the players when they learn that pings + voice chat work so well. Not only will it increase skill but it will allow for players to know what teamates are thinking because they can communicate quickly. Which should make for better teamwork, coordination and play making.

Which brings me back to why not?

Why not increase the skill level?

Wait. I think I just figured it out.

This is too much of a casual game for the masses isn't it? This is the only reason why VOIP wouldn't be implemented. Riot would never tell us this tho. I guess it is pretty hard to manage a game for the masses and keep it casual and competitive at the same time. VOIP in a way removes the casual player aspect, which I'm going to take an educated guess and say that it is a HUGE amount of their income.

Okay, I think that all just made some sort of sense in my head.

So I guess VOIP would not be healthy for a game/environment like this.

Man, I'm exhausted lol.
Voice chat will not increase skill. And no, people will lose because the people in voice would potentially neglect the people not in voice. It would create better map awareness though when your trying to figure out what your teammates are doing.

I personally like the text and ping system(Really like the ping system). Plus, it can cause a lot of separation(as stated earlier) between people who use VC and don't(Not everyone buys a mic or likes actually talking, and what about deaf people?).

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

3 Weeks Ago
2 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueObjectivity View Post
Exactly. 126 percent more racism. What? 126% more instances of the N word per average game? In total? 126% more slur-to-nonslur character ratio? How do you even. Does this even account for factors that change when people are premade vs all 5 solo (which is indisputably the vast majority of "partial voice chat" cases).

FFS. I don't always upvote Yenn, but when I do...
Like Amazon, Google, Facebook and other tech companies, we've developed in-house predictive models that can analyze chat logs in real-time and assess the level of certain sentiment. For example, the model can detect whether a chat log was generally positive communication, or generally negative communication, while also being able to specifically look at the frequency of certain words that we've labeled or curated as racist or homophobic (like f*g and f*ggot).

Many third party companies also offer similar services, and many game studios use these services to do things like automatic sentiment analysis of social media to determine player perception of a feature, etc. We built one in-house with some experts in machine learning and language analysis because of the nuance required to build such a model for League of Legends, which has it's own unique lingo and slang.

For issues like premade sizes vs all solos, these factors are all taken into account in most systems in League. For example, most research will take into account the current premade size when considering things like the # of reports filed in a game, and whether it's higher or lower than the baseline for that specific premade size vs the general League average.

Penteano

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
<div class="legacy-vbulletin"> <div class="article-body"> <p>At Riot, we're pretty hardcore gamers. Many of us have lived and breathed games like Counterstrike for many years of our lives. Given the features games like these have, every so often, there's a heated discussion within Riot about voice chat - should we build it in League of Legends? Would it improve the player experience for the average player? Why do some games choose not to integrate voice chat, while others do? Rioters often debate for hours about the pros and cons of voice chat, so we decided to more deeply investigate the impact of voice chat. Every time the discussion comes up, we add a little bit more research to the mix and learn a little bit more about voice chat's impact on online games.</p><p>Due to the recent rise of 3<sup>rd</sup> party voice chat applications, we decided to take a moment to share some of our findings and explain why we haven't implemented voice chat in League of Legends, but also why we haven't closed the doors on it being possible in the future.</p><br><h4><strong>Do players want this feature?</strong></h4><p>One of the critical things I want to highlight is the difference between integrated voice chat with <em>strangers,</em> versus with <em>friends</em>. We often survey League of Legends players on whether they prefer to use voice chat with friends, and <strong>over 79% of players agree that it's a more enjoyable way to play League of Legends</strong>. But when you ask League of Legends players whether they prefer to use voice chat with <em>strangers,</em> the agree rate drops to 50%:&nbsp; <strong>1 in 2 players do not want to voice chat with strangers, or don't care.</strong> More importantly, <strong>28% of players disagree</strong>. When looking at numbers like these, we have to carefully consider that adding voice chat would actually create an <em>unwanted</em> experience for just over 1 in 4 players. Meanwhile, players who want voice chat already enjoy it with friends using other voice options.</p><p>These numbers might seem different than results from online polls or general threads you've seen here on the forums, but there are two important variables at play. One, players that tend to visit online forums or communities are a<em> unique subset of the League of Legends population</em><em>. </em>Two, online polls or questions about voice chat rarely distinguish the difference between voice chatting with friends versus strangers. If you just ask the question "Do you want voice chat in League of Legends?", most players answer the question through <em>their perspective.</em> Players that prefer to voice chat with strangers say "Yes!", but so do players that prefer voice chat with friends, leading to bloated numbers and inaccurate perceptions.</p><br><h4><strong>What's the player experience like?</strong></h4><p>With the recent surge of 3<sup>rd</sup> party voice chat applications, we were able to do some neat data analysis on the impact of voice chat to the League of Legends experience. We were especially curious as to whether or not these applications created a more enjoyable experience in games where there was voice chat between strangers.</p><p>One of the things about voice chat is that more often than not, you end up with games where only a few of the players opt into the application, and the rest are still using text. In our analysis, we found that text-based communication in games where only some of the teammates were in voice chat <strong>had up to 126% more racism, sexism, homophobia, and verbal abuse</strong> that we all agree have no place in League.&nbsp;Not surprisingly, we also saw that players who were <strong>using voice chat with strangers</strong> <strong>received 47% more reports</strong> than your baseline League player.</p><p>There have also been a few concerning studies about gender cues and voice chat in other popular, competitive online games. For example, a published paper from Ohio University showed that just giving a cue or sign that you're a woman on voice chat leads to <strong>300% more negative comments</strong> compared to a male voice, <em>or no voice at all</em>.</p><br><h4><strong>TLDR:</strong></h4><p>At the end of the day, voice chat <em>with friends</em> is a great experience<strong>, and what League of Legends players actually want.</strong> Many players already use voice chat like Skype and Ventrilo with their friends and that's awesome. But, a system that automatically or easily puts you into voice chat with strangers leads to <strong>126% more toxicity and 47% more reports</strong> even when players can opt-out of the experience or mute each other.</p><p>Hopefully this gives players more insight into how we think about voice chat.</p><p>Lyte</p> <style type="text/css"> .article-body .region-na, .article-body .region-br, .article-body .region-eune, .article-body .region-euw, .article-body .region-tr { display:none; } </style> </div> </div>
Add a voice chat that will only allow you to use with people in your friend list. Simple.

Gorbache

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penteano View Post
Add a voice chat that will only allow you to use with people in your friend list. Simple.
But then, do you want them to spend a dime on this when you can use an alternative software? I really don't want them to pay for new servers just for friend list voice chat when there are a better need for them! Not saying what!

SmokingPuffin

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Ao Shin View Post
why not integrate an OPTIONAL party chat system JUST like curse voice had?
Optional chat becomes mandatory very quickly in any competitive game. It's like saying WoW mods are optional for arena players.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

3 Weeks Ago
3 of 17 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearbeer View Post
You kidding me? I use (and used it right about when it came out) curse voice and have yet to meet a toxic soul. Given it's fairly rare now, but even when I reached a paramount of 3 others in the chat room, we were all very respectful of each other, every time.

You could argue it's me, that I'm just a divine person (really not), but I'm almost certain this statistic is wrong or bias somehow.

EDIT: Well I'm such a clutz for not realizing skype counts as well. Honestly, I don't think this even reflects your concerns about speaking with strangers, because who the hell uses skype with strangers.

I would see voice chat with only your friends as clearly hindering to others, as (personal testimony) we do things we might not otherwise and feel slightly superior, incorrectly so, to those not with us. I know that if I act in a less toxic manner that goes against my friends, they will lose trust in me so I don't do that. Being in partial chat is nonconstructive.

This does not apply to full out, every-one-can-hear-you-until-muted, in game voice chat. It's silly to think so.

How are your statistics supposed to know if we're talking with strangers or not anyways?
Results will vary from app to app and implementation to implementation. For example, if a voice chat app is in Closed Beta, the players that apply for beta, install the app and try it with strangers might be more keen on using voice chat with strangers than your typical player. This experience will be completely different than an integrated voice chat solution that enables voice chat very easily for the entire playerbase.

It's pretty easy to determine if you are using voice chat with friends vs strangers because many apps will have markers that are different when you use it with friends vs strangers. For example, if you're using Skype with a stranger, you have to somehow exchange your Skype information over chat first. If you're using Skype with a friend, you already have the friend on your Skype Friend List. If you're in voice chat with someone you've never played a game with before in League, and never play a 2nd game with, more likely that it's a stranger than a friend. A few simple heuristics makes it really easy to differentiate voice chat with friends vs strangers.

SmokingPuffin

3 Weeks Ago

Among other reasons, I don't want voice chat because it's a really bad deal for female players. Much of the community treats any gamer who becomes identifiably female quite badly. You get tasteless comments like "**** or gtfo", harassment, sometimes even outright stalking. The result is that most female players try hard to avoid revealing their gender in game.

The moment that voice chat becomes a thing, it's no longer reasonable to avoid revealing your gender while still communicating with your team. Maybe someday the LoL community will be cool enough that being female on the internet won't be a lame experience, but that's not where we are today.