Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elazull

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwem View Post
Lyte ask your co-workers to put a live poll on the main page of this website. Then will we see who's actually correct.
I think instead of the website, perhaps a live poll in the client would be a better idea. The thing I really dislike when statistics are presented in this discussion is that Lyte presented his statistics and then wrote off the possibility that other areas.. such as polls on the forums are invalid without actually pinpointing why his statistics should be taking as valid. In HIS opinion GD visitors are a unique subset of League of Legends and that invalidates statistics taken here. So, I have to ask... If the GD polls are invalid because they are a unique subset, then why do any reds come here for anything? Why are champ reworks developed with the influence of the opinions of a "unique subset of League players?" I'm not saying its the sole source for how Riot gets things done but I mean if our opinion matters and gets used in the consideration of other things, how is a poll on the forums where people clearly spend their non-play time because of their passion for the game not valid?

Personally, League gets the majority of my gaming time. However, I also play Dota 2 which has in-game voice chat available. My personal experience in my time playing is that voice chat really didn't change a player's behavior. If anything, I've noted a pattern that those who act like the cesspit of the internet still use chat boxes rather than voice. I have NEVER in my time with Dota 2 been harassed by others players via voice. However, I have seen people stand up for themselves over voice chat to the troll that continues to stay IN CHAT. Moving on from Dota 2, I am definitely an Xbox Live gamer and can say that yes there is sub-par behavior over voice chat. However, the alternative is a non-user friendly message system that is too much effort for those folks not to use voice chat. This almost makes it hard to compare to a League voice chat system because voice chat is the only viable option on Xbox Live in most cases. I believe, without the need to even collect data, that an opt-in voice chat system would improve the quality of League without really needing to take player behavior into consideration. Although, if voice chat existed in League it would almost seem easier to make punishment decisions because their voice logs would convey a lot more information than text.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it really feels like there are other un-conveyed reasons at play for not implementing voice chat into this game. Especially considering that the introduction to this thread contained a gold trimmed form of "we are right and you are wrong cause reasons" to claim validity in their numbers. Which, by the way, is a pretty poor move if you want your opinion as a player behavior employee to be respected. In my line of work, if I told my customer their opinions are invalid... I damn well better have something other than "you're unique" to explain myself. I typically think well of Riot's way of doing things and don't usually bash their decisions publicly or privately, but I've always carried a distaste for how player behavior is handle in general as compared to other aged games/companies. This may be the game with the largest population but its the same people who game elsewhere. The player behavior topic in this game feels it has the controversial heaviness of abortions and non traditional marriages. Its ridiculous.

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

@Lyte

The only reason I haven't been permabanned is because along time ago I, and I assume many other league players, learned to express our rage vocally, instead of typing it out.

If I can call my jungler/bot/mid/top a useless piece of ****-ing human garbage that should be raped and murdered not necessarily in that order WITHOUT them actually having to hear it, I get to vent my rage, while still maintaining a "sociable" environment.

If my team had to hear me questioning all the things they do, screaming at them EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY RECALL AT THEIR FIRST TOWER WITH LOW HP WHEN THE ENEMY LANER/JUNGLER IS AN ASSASSIN, I'd have been long since permabanned.

But I'm a member of the #NeverBeenBannedClub because I know how to properly express my anger.

I'm not in favor of voice chatting with Bad Kid Randoms.
I am in favor of voice chatting with say, people on my friends list.

hartar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

I can see this number been real,i played dota 2 and got some jerks on voice chat,and even people not talking in englsih on american server,i got so many russians.But, i also had alot of help of people on voice chat,alot of times people where polite,even on defeat.

So,i still think a voice chat system could be good for the game,all you need to do,is use a mute button on voice if the player trolls out,i did that in dota 2 and worked for me.

Why the donwvots?

Oh Muh Gah

06-27-2014

Reading a lot of replies against Voice Comms is really aggravating me with how dumb their reasons are.

Have you people ever heard of a MUTE BUTTON? If someone is blasting music or constantly screaming, YOU CAN MUTE THEM.

Also, YOU ARE NOT BEING FORCED TO TALK. You can continue using text chat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soraka View Post
If my team had to hear me questioning all the things they do, screaming at them EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY RECALL AT THEIR FIRST TOWER WITH LOW HP WHEN THE ENEMY LANER/JUNGLER IS AN ASSASSIN, I'd have been long since permabanned.
Here's an example of someone who uses a dumb excuse for stopping voice chat. They have apparently not heard of a thing called "push-to-talk."

Also, I've used curse voice, and not once have I heard anyone rage on it. Every time I've used it the other person has been really cool and having voice comms helped us coordinate and work together in ways that wouldn't have happened without voice.

Lastly, I, personally, have had my fair share of raging on this game. I have no problem typing insults in a chat box. On the other hand, I can not see myself actually yelling those things at someone. Voice comms make interaction way more personal. Having no voice dehumanizes other players, you don't think of them as a human because you don't see their face or hear their voice. That makes it way easier to rage at someone just through text.

Sulphates

06-27-2014

Even in my friends lists, I still have groups for people like "My Best Friends", "My Friends Friends", "People I met in College", and "People I met Online", simply put, there are different 'degrees' on the Stranger<->Friend Continuum. Applying this to League, I think there are several practical tiers Voice Chat Integration could be done.

~~Less Strict~~
1) with Strangers
2) with Friends List Only
3) with RANKED TEAMMATES Only
~~More Strict~~

(And, down in the bowels of infinite unrestriction, Option Negative Teemo) with Enemy Team.)

Personally, I think in this situation, playing your cards tight is your best bet. Your current at "Maximum Restriction Option) Not Even Integrated", so only loosen your hand a little bit to Tier 3, members of your Friends List that share a Ranked Team with you.

Akedomo

06-27-2014

You're asking if we want Voice chat, nearly 5 years into this games existence?

This is a feature that games have built in from the start. This should've been implemented FROM THE START.

I also like how none of you have ever actually used a voice chat system in a game before. No one that had would be asking for everyone to be silent unless on friends list, Nor would they be asking for these stupid punishment levels.

#1, You can report offenders. If you all do your part, the amount of voice chat abusers will diminish significantly in a very short time, leading to a more enjoyable experience.

#2, You can mute offenders. Someone being annoying? Mute them. You have no obligation to sit there and listen to them, so don't even try to make it sound like you're being forced to listen to strangers.

#3, The addition of voice chat will allow you to communicate with Strangers yes, but more often than not, talking with voices lets you hear just how insecure other people are when they try to berate you in-game. It makes it that much easier to laugh at an idiot. The rest of the time will be respectable Voice chat use.

#4, I don't understand why you would vote against this in the first place. The addition of this to the game allows easier communication with friends and strangers alike. Yeah, you might still want to use Skype. What about those games that you have 2-3 people not on your friends list though? I'd much rather have the option for both, it's only logical.

#5, Faster communication. Simply put. You can say what you need to in Voice chat without lifting your fingers off your spells, in a much shorter time. This helps immensely, Especially in teamfights and you don't have time to stop to type. It just gives an all around better gaming experience, especially for those not at a high WPM typing speed.

Chess435

06-27-2014

IMO, voice chat should be a privilege, not a right. I imagine a lot of players turned to voice applications because of Tribunal punishments/chat restrictions, so factoring those out would likely reduce those toxicity numbers significantly. Players with a chat restriction or a history of a Tribunal offenses should not be allowed the use of a voice chat option at all.

Aerothal

06-27-2014

I feel its easier to remain calm and composed when i am in chat with people.
I have been invited to join VC (Ventrillo, TS, Raid Call, Skype and CV) in many random games and have yet to have a negative experience.
While i might yell at my screen when i am all alone "NOOOO, Y U DO DIS NUB", i would not yell it in voice chat out of respect for the people i am playing with and also because i dont want them to think of me as a ******.
It is less anonymous than typing.
It is more human to human interaction.
My personal experience points to less rage in game.

Lenox007

06-27-2014

I'm fine with it staying as is. I pay for my own Mumble server that I don't even use all the time because I sometimes like the silence of text and pings. However, if you really wanted to implement voice chat, make it so you have to be on the person's friend list. I prefer to not have voice chat with strangers.

BF123456789

06-27-2014

>Discussion
>No replies