Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chrony

06-27-2014

I would like to know how lyte collected this data and came up with these statistics as well. Was this taken from solo que? Normals? How did they know they were using voice chat? Were the people using voice chat already determined to be toxic and simply expressed their toxicity more? He gave a lot of info but we are still missing some crucial peices. Personally I think a voice chat option is still a decent idea. So long as you can opt in and out mid game. Someone starts talking **** to you? Simply leaving the voice chat. I prefer it not be where it's always on and you have to hear them even if you don't wanna use voice chat. Just my 2 cents...also mute buttons
Mandatory and easily accessible

TrueObjectivity

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crits and Gravy View Post
I really surprised by those results, I used Curse Voice while it was in beta and joined 5-10 different chats with random team mates. Not once in those 10 games did I get yelled at or flamed in any way. I actually felt like the people in the call wanted to chat about the game and theory. I felt like it was much different than being in an Xbox live char for example.

I got the feeling that if we were going to be talking to each other for 35+ minutes we didnt want to be fighting. Maybe I just got lucky.
Part of that might because anyone with CV has actively gone out of their way to get voice chat and doesn't want to ruin it. If the average lazy buttmad guy feeding in your promos just "had" voice chat by default, I bet he'd use it badly.

MajorPain9

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorchero View Post
This. Some troll is going along with alternate accounts to up/downvote things.

I use CV ALL the time, and I've never ONCE had a negative experience with it, with probably 40 or 50 separate lobbies.

Really? Your own personal anecdotes are going to make up for the entirety of the voice communication world? Deffinately must be trolls mate.

There are plenty of people here, including me that have experienced the exact opposite with CV.

Nearbeer

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In our analysis, we found that text-based communication in games where only some of the teammates were in voice chat <strong>had up to 126% more racism, sexism, homophobia, and verbal abuse</strong>
You kidding me? I use (and used it right about when it came out) curse voice and have yet to meet a toxic soul. Given it's fairly rare now, but even when I reached a paramount of 3 others in the chat room, we were all very respectful of each other, every time.

You could argue it's me, that I'm just a divine person (really not), but I'm almost certain this statistic is wrong or bias somehow.

EDIT: Well I'm such a clutz for not realizing skype counts as well. Honestly, I don't think this even reflects your concerns about speaking with strangers, because who the hell uses skype with strangers.

I would see voice chat with only your friends as clearly hindering to others, as (personal testimony) we do things we might not otherwise and feel slightly superior, incorrectly so, to those not with us. I know that if I act in a less toxic manner that goes against my friends, they will lose trust in me so I don't do that. Being in partial chat is nonconstructive.

This does not apply to full out, every-one-can-hear-you-until-muted, in game voice chat. It's silly to think so.

How are your statistics supposed to know if we're talking with strangers or not anyways?

True Axis Hero

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Twinkle View Post
Don't know if this was mentioned in the previous page, but...

Only turn it on if the person you are playing with is on your friend list.

Edit: By turning it on, I mean making it available. That means the voice chat is off by default and only works for people on your friend list.
Garena actually has a system like that implemented. Whenever you queue up in a group, doesn't have to be your friend, just be in the same group then during champ select you'll get a prompt if you want to enter into a voice chat with them.

MajorPain9

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearbeer View Post
You kidding me? I use (and used it right about when it came out) curse voice and have yet to meet a toxic soul. Given it's fairly rare now, but even when I reached a paramount of 3 others in the chat room, we were all very respectful of each other, every time.

You could argue it's me, that I'm just a divine person (really not), but I'm almost certain this statistic is wrong or bias somehow.
And your personal story isn't biased in the slightest either? I have met some toxic ******s on CV on more than one occasion.

Kira Onime

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaChucka View Post
This. They say it creates more toxicity. I'm not sure where they get that from.
Most of us are talking from experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckaChucka View Post
With out voice chat: WFT you noob why did you do that you feeder! Reported!
With voice Chat: WFT you noob why did you do that you feeder! Reported!
FTFY

Devi Freak Mint

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorchero View Post
This. Some troll is going along with alternate accounts to up/downvote things.

I use CV ALL the time, and I've never ONCE had a negative experience with it, with probably 40 or 50 separate lobbies.
Even trolls will not spend the extra effort to download 3rd party software to ruin the experience of a handful players.
Built-in voice chat is giving them the opportunity to scream at their entire team with a simple button press.

If anything, built-in voice chat makes the process easier for them.

Legal Loli

06-27-2014

i want voice chat because science.

PsychicToaster

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi Freak Mint View Post
Even trolls will not spend the extra effort to download 3rd party software to ruin the experience of a handful players.
Built-in voice chat is giving them the opportunity to scream at their entire team with a simple button press.

If anything, built-in voice chat makes the process easier for them.
Trolls go through extra effort to do a lot of things. You'd be surprised what low-life, obese nerds will do for their kicks.