Voice Chat Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Devi Freak Mint

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

All it takes is one person opting out of voice communications for the entire thing to become mostly pointless.

Maintaining two types of communications (text/pings and voice) is not efficient.
Voicechat is the freeway to unfiltered verbal abuse.

As someone who played support on HoN, I don't want anything to do with voicechat.

BattleBootyRiven

06-27-2014

Dota 2 has voice chat its not hard to mute toxic people, What I would Love to cordinate with my jungler instead of typing by then it would be too late....or talk to my adc

TrueObjectivity

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenn View Post
Where did these statistics even come from
Exactly. 126 percent more racism. What? 126% more instances of the N word per average game? In total? 126% more slur-to-nonslur character ratio? How do you even. Does this even account for factors that change when people are premade vs all 5 solo (which is indisputably the vast majority of "partial voice chat" cases).

FFS. I don't always upvote Yenn, but when I do...

Doctor Twinkle

06-27-2014

Don't know if this was mentioned in the previous page, but...

Only turn it on if the person you are playing with is on your friend list.

Edit: By turning it on, I mean making it available. That means the voice chat is off by default and only works for people on your friend list.

Dokusei

06-27-2014

**** a voice chat

give us some ****ing east coast servers

Theorchero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crits and Gravy View Post
I really surprised by those results, I used Curse Voice while it was in beta and joined 5-10 different chats with random team mates. Not once in those 10 games did I get yelled at or flamed in any way. I actually felt like the people in the call wanted to chat about the game and theory. I felt like it was much different than being in an Xbox live char for example.

I got the feeling that if we were going to be talking to each other for 35+ minutes we didnt want to be fighting. Maybe I just got lucky.
This. Some troll is going along with alternate accounts to up/downvote things.

I use CV ALL the time, and I've never ONCE had a negative experience with it, with probably 40 or 50 separate lobbies.

NuckaChucka

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeBlitzkrieg View Post
I want voice chat because I feel it is a great strategic resource. You don't have to stop to type to your teammates

It allows for much better communication in a heated situation such as a teamfight

Ex: your team is doing baron, and the enemy lee sin is on the other side of the wall (pls nerf)
Lee Q's the baron, and you can say in voice chat 'stop hitting baron' so that it wears off then you can kill it without a smitesteal. I type like 130 wpm and I can't type fast enough to get people to stop

As a diamond player I think it really is a great tool, there is no competitive gaming that doesn't have voice chat integrated, and if solo queue is meant to be a competitive environment, then it needs to have it.

You also can always hear voices, instead of having to look at your chatbox.

Voice chat should have been implemented years ago
This. They say it creates more toxicity. I'm not sure where they get that from.

With out voice chat: WFT you noob why did you do that you feeder! Reported!
With voice Chat: Hey, Im going to try and do this. Be ready...
Aww close. Nice try.

Selph

06-27-2014

Oh, man, please no. I understand that this isn't a post about implementing voice chat in LoL, but even considering that possibility is a bit frightening to me.

My main concern is that many people will do whatever they can to try to do better at the game. When the option of Voice Chat is there, it will give the team that utilizes it the best an advantage. So when you're presented with the option of deliberately handicapping yourself, quite a few players, regardless of whether they want voice chat or not, will join. That in and of itself isn't much of an argument, but psychologically, hearing someone say horrible things to and about you is much more significant than reading it. You can hear venom, hate, toxicity, whatever, and that sticks with you much longer than text.

I'm fine with the third party voice chat because with it being supplemental, I don't feel obligated to participate, and don't. An interesting additional note is that player behavior would be more difficult to track if you implemented voice chat. You could probably just parse most voice chat into text, but it's easier to say one thing and mean another in voice, ala sarcasm, false praise, and the like.

AgeOfPwn

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrony View Post
You didn't even read the post. That or you lack any kind of capacity to interpret what lyte said in his post.
I read the post, but I refuse to believe any of those numbers just because he said so.

You wanna talk statistics? What's the sample size? Which VoIP was this data collected from? How many people were surveyed?

These are things that we should know if he wants us to believe these numbers.

Anyone can throw numbers around without proof, they don't mean a thing without that information to back them up. All that "scientific research" he does, he should know that.

PsychicToaster

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBootyRiven View Post
Dota 2 has voice chat its not hard to mute toxic people, What I would Love to cordinate with my jungler instead of typing by then it would be too late....or talk to my adc
Pinging intelligently is an easy way to do that. Reading your teammate's moves can help you with that.

The issue is people are asking Riot Games to put time, effort, and money into a feature that A)Not everyone wants and B)Not everyone will use. If it's going to open up a second avenue for verbal abuse that causes people to mute their teammates, the effective result is a waste of Riot's time. We have people who cannot even handle not raging in chat.

Another issue is the fact that as human beings we are prone to responding to taunts, threats, and insults. People are going to take the route of responding to the abuse and screaming like children over their microphones instead of simply muting someone and then moving on. The general response of "just mute them" is not realistic.