Am I the Only one who likes the Original Caitlyn?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caekie

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaughtyLemur View Post
Caits "Theme" is to be a bad ass classy sniping sheriff. To not take more shots than necessary. Again, an AK does not fit this.
I don't even understand how you can extract "AK-47" from the new Caitlyn, let alone her current splash art's rifle. Like holy the only semblance of the semi-automatic rifle is that it's freaking brown. The butt of the rifle is completely different, the stock is different and even the magazine loadout is completely different. If anything the rifle DOES look like a legit sniper rifle. Which one? It looks like a freaking Dragonuv with some League of Legends flare.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Irrwi

Senior Member

06-27-2014

tbh the only thing that bothers me in her splash is her manly face, she literary looks like 14 year old boy instead of female

i feel like chin and nose is the issue as well as eye bit too far from nose... but i might be wrong

love the rifle


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caekie

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrwi View Post
tbh the only thing that bothers me in her splash is her manly face, she literary looks like 14 year old boy instead of female

i feel like chin and nose is the issue as well as eye bit too far from nose... but i might be wrong
manly? imo she looks completely dead serious checking the results after firing an ace in the hole lol.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Irrwi

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekie View Post
manly? imo she looks completely dead serious checking the results after firing an ace in the hole lol.
you can make female have serious face w/o making her look like boy.. i don't think you understand that i am refering to her face structure, not her expression

look at Riven or Diana Splash, they look dead serious but feminim


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nerf Ao Shin

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
The way I see her gun is something of an heirloom. A trusty rifle that has served as her tool of choice and that's a bit anachronistic compared to the other hextech weapons around her.
why cant her hat and dress be the same?

for real, replace "rifle" with "hat" or "clothes" and its my argument for Cait is fine how she is in a nutshell.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rauron

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaughtyLemur View Post
Sure it has 3 lenses (ever heard of attachments to a rifle?) but the gun itself is wholeheartedly based on an AK.
Pretty much nobody cares. Most of us think her guns look good. However, most of us would be totally fine if the VU made her guns look cooler and more rifle-like. I don't think I've seen anybody ask for her gun to keep the same exact design. Could you not muddle the thread with pointless detail stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
Caitlyn IS silly.
You have a really vivid, engaging, and usable idea of Cait that I would really enjoy seeing explored more. However, I'm not sure that the lore fully supports it and, much more importantly, I'm not sure your point is actually actionable. If she's delusional, then there's basically no foundation on which to build a particular kind of silliness, outside of raw "this is what we're currently using". While some would argue that that's enough, I feel like the energy of these threads shows that her current design just isn't hitting all the right notes. So, a Traditional skin would be awesome (with the cool new splash art, at that), but I think this VU is still a valid effort. What particular kinds of silliness do you think her lore really supports, and how do you think that should be expressed? I'm thinking her posh attitude, belt-o-philia, and bizarre gun are the main aspects which truly fit, but clearly there's also a lot of attachment to her bonkers headwear and curiously effective cupcake traps. Also, given her lack of self-awareness, do you agree that her expressions/poses/lines should be generally serious, especially when there's a clear contrast with her appearance/environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Simply put, her tone and her backstory defines her very much as a girl first and an officer second. In this case, she would be more concerned about looking gorgeous and fancy first before being utilitarian[...] quite simply, it looks good. And so does her cleavage and miniskirt, why else is she one of the most popular character to cosplay as for female cosplayers?
Ginga, you somehow manage to be both alarmingly sexist and impressively progressive. Your ***-positive points about "pretty != prostitute" and "wanting to look nice is okay" are really refreshing, but then you continue right into statements that read as "girls just care about looks" and "women mainly want to play sexy women to feel sexy". While I overall disagree with your vision of Cait, I do hope to find you being very vocal in any visual design threads about MF, Evelynn, or female champs in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Gaston View Post
I remember you spoke a bit about Sivir's weapon in a similar light, claiming that it didn't really make sense on the character without a reason (and I agreed). That said, I don't ever remember reading anything officially about the weapon or why it mattered to Sivir or why she used it at all (nor can I seem to find anything after the fact). While I'm sure you and the team came to some conclusion, I wish we (the players) could have been privy to it. I love that you guys base your artistic decisions around concepts and themes relevant to characterization, but it doesn't help when we don't see that characterization post development.
Important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
Skirts are fine if your worried about pure effectiveness. They do not inhibit movement and are actually probably better for chasing then anything besides tights
Skirts offer no protection, can easily catch on things, and are uncomfortable while running due to the way the fabric moves. Tights are great, aside from the lack of protection (important when, say, jumping a fence). For a sniper and sheriff tights seem totally fine, maybe with some added bits for defense and modesty, but there are actually good reasons for police wearing pants other than "+2 to Intimidate checks".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DSerigale

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Seriously, Caitlyn is not your typical serious sheriff,she's not Vayne serious. She's serious about her job, she keeps the peace, but she doesn't need to limit her choice of wear for sniping or investigating.

Caitlyn is an oddball,she's obsessed with her cupcakes,belts,rifles,big hats and miniskirts. That's her character.She's 'a western styled Batman'. She's weird,but that doesn't stop her from being an excellent sheriff.Just like Batman, who scares people by wearing a Bat outfit, it didn't make him any less of a good detective or crime-fighter.Remember before Bruce thought of the suit? He was ridiculed by everyone. Caitlyn is the same,she'll wear her own clothes and strike fear her own way. Not the traditional way, but her own way. Imagine if some guy walks up to you wearing a white shirt and blue jeans,you wouldn't even pay attention to the guy.Normal people won't be as exceptional because they just do it normally. An oddball however, will give up the norm and focus and what she wants and needs (but not deserves) the most. For Caitlyn,these are her cupcakes,belts,rifles,big hats and miniskirts.Taking these away will leave her as a normal sheriff, not the odd person she is.

I mean that's nearly Piltover in a nutshell,wacky characters! Vi has HUGE hands,Jinx is crazy and has absurdly long twin braids with a shark that spews rockets, and Jayce goes around waving his big Hammer to anyone in sight. These characters are weird, but we love them. Why? Because they're odd and pique our interest.Also because they're Batmen. We all love Batmen.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JIIMIE

Junior Member

06-27-2014

Hey mike, I love your work and I love you . I was wondering 3 things.
1) Is the team gonna enhance her lore to connect more w/ Vi, Jinx, and other Piltoverans.?
2) When redesigning her officer skin did u guys go for an actual officer look or did you stay with the pinup style? IMO I'm kinda open to either.
3) The new splash art is amazing who made it? Props to her/him
Anyway, I'm really excited for her VU and I know she's in capable hands.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JIIMIE

Junior Member

06-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Simply put, her tone and her backstory defines her very much as a girl first and an officer second. In this case, she would be more concerned about looking gorgeous and fancy first before being utilitarian. And to be perfectly fair, when you're a sniper designed to take out your target from a safe distance, she really doesn't need to be all that armoured or utilitarian.
In my opinion,
1) Gender is more complicated than that. One's gender does not constrict them to certain roles. Who says "girl" immediately equates to vanity. Being concerned with looking gorgeous isn't an inherent female trait, it's a trait that some people have or don't regardless of gender. For example, I perceive Jayce to be more vain that Cait.

2) If I can recall correctly (I haven't read it in a while), Cait's backstory is a tale of a young woman who spends most of her adolescence and early adulthood gaining the skills necessary to pursue a life in law enforcement. Her passion is preserving justice so it makes sense that she would want to do so well equipped. Pants, boots and a bullet proof vest could possibly fit her well (no pun intended). Plus IronStylus and friends have the skills necessary to decide how to chose which components fit her character and the overall aesthetics of Piltover and LoL in general.

3) People shouldn't even be worried about losing the old Cait's look. If she looks really different I'm 99.9% sure Riot will make a Tradition Skin.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

immortalibra

Senior Member

06-27-2014

Name:  Caitlyn_Splash_0.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  263.4 KB

No Caitlyn VU till maybe 2017

Nice splash btw