Can you get a chat ban without typing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KilljoyX

06-26-2014

It's funny that the more that lyte posts the more toxic he seems.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

06-26-2014
12 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSid View Post
But Lyte, now I ask you, what can a chat restricted player do to avoid that secondary restriction? How can he say positive things? He's chat restricted, remember? You're basically telling him not to talk unless it's urgent. But by not talking, the system is set up to restrict him again? For doing what you told him to do? You can see why the concern is there, can you not?

So, to reiterate the question: What can a chat restricted player do to avoid a secondary "neutral-negative" chat restriction?
Right now, approximately 70% of players don't receive a 2nd set of chat restrictions after their first on ends. Just because you're chat restricted doesn't mean you can't communicate in positive ways.

SpiralBlack

06-26-2014

"You have received a chat ban for refusing to communicate with your team." Ain't it great?

CopyCat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I mentioned this briefly in another post, it's a bit more nuanced than that. First of all, not talking is fine. Most players don't talk and just use in-game pings.

However, let's look at players who have been toxic before, and earned a few penalties. For these players, if they were toxic for 100 games, then don't talk for 5 games... should we remove their chat penalties? Is the behavior considered fully improved? What if a player was toxic for 1000 games, then did not talk for 1 game? Should we remove their penalties?
But that's a bit exaggerated and sugar-coated... It's more like 5 games being toxic = 20+ chat restrictions, say nothing toxic 20 games get 12 more.

Eskimoƒo

06-26-2014

so, do I drop my pants to the ping spammer and wait 30 minutes to report them or can I change the sound files and play the game no harm done?

Izbiz

06-26-2014

Quote:
I mentioned this briefly in another post, it's a bit more nuanced than that. First of all, not talking is fine. Most players don't talk and just use in-game pings.

However, let's look at players who have been toxic before, and earned a few penalties. For these players, if they were toxic for 100 games, then don't talk for 5 games... should we remove their chat penalties? Is the behavior considered fully improved? What if a player was toxic for 1000 games, then did not talk for 1 game? Should we remove their penalties?
I don't know either way, but you and your team are currently assuming the Summoner is still guilty, which has an extremely negative impact on customer service. That's the problem people have. Statistically speaking, the current method is likely correct. But that's not fair for those who actually have reformed.

Maybe lift the chat restriction with a probation period is the answer. I don't know. But to assume that the Summoner is guilty is the incorrect approach in my opinion.

InfiniX

06-26-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilljoyX View Post
It's funny that the more that lyte posts the more toxic he seems.
Yeah, just seeing him repeatedly posting his stupidity is becoming increasingly toxic to my intelligence.

Leopanther

06-26-2014

Quote:

If a player gets a 40-game chat ban, and plays those 40 games.
He can't talk during those, obviously. (unless I misunderstand how chat bans work)
Then after those 40 games, he gets another 40-game chat ban right away again.
Where did that player get the chance to prove he's improved his behavior?
I'm personally not affected, but it's what I see in those chat-ban threads. Getting a new one right after the first chat-ban games have been played through.

SpiralBlack

06-26-2014

Quote:
The Tribunal does this, and when the feature comes back it'll start doing this again.
And how long are we going to have to wait for the tribunal to return?

Dagartru

06-26-2014

I only communicate with pings and I get consistent chat bans lol, Thanks Rito .