Can you get a chat ban without typing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duffman316

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
If you don't talk at all, it's still better than communicating in a toxic way so you may receive a few chat restrictions until you are in better standing. In fact, many players never talk in League of Legends and just use smart pings to communicate in-game and that's perfectly fine.

If the system is unsure about your current standing (because you never talked in your past sets of games, or you showed both positive and negative patterns of behavior in your games), you'll receive a few more chat restrictions so the system can collect more data.
"can't tell if this guy is toxic, lets give him more chat restrictions!"

lytelogic/10

Teemò

4 Weeks Ago

I think Lyte is gonna ignore my case even though it's valid -.-

False reports are too OP in this current system.

The Dravening

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
If the system is unsure about your current standing (because you never talked in your past sets of games, or you showed both positive and negative patterns of behavior in your games), you'll receive a few more chat restrictions
Lyte
what the actual ****

CopyCat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Weeks Ago

Lyte, can you answer me this? Do different reports from the same player all "weigh" the same?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
10 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkvolcanReborn View Post
I don't understand how this is logical.
I've been muted for fighting back against trolls. Fine, toxic fighting toxic, not allowed technically. I stay shut, I ignore kids talking about my mom, I ignore "omfg feeder kill urself" I ignore it all, and chances are, I'll get another mute regardless.
I don't understand the point of this at all.
If you ignore it all and stay focused on the game, you should stop receiving chat restrictions in the near future. It all depends on a number of factors; for example, if you were being toxic before for 100 games, then ignoring stuff and being positive for 5 games... the system won't immediately remove your penalties and give you 0 chat restrictions.

At the end of the day, if you continue being sportsmanlike and ignore the trolls, you'll stop receiving chat restrictions--it might seem slow now, but we're still tweaking the values on a pretty consistent basis.

Eskimoƒo

4 Weeks Ago

I found a way to modify the VO bank's ping sound, am I allowed modifying 2-4 sound files without worrying the standing of my account?
I sent a support ticket to be sure, I won't mind waiting if I'm skipped again.. I have mixed feelings since muting doesn't stop ping sounds(when it's very spammey)

NotSid

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Or, we could be constructive and actually read the posts.

You're missing a critical difference in what I just posted.

Players that have never received any penalties before, and not behaved toxic before, will never have an issue not talking.

Players that have been punished before or behaved toxic before are treated differently by systems. So, if players that have been punished recently for toxic behavior do not chat in games, it's treated as "neutral-negative" and not necessarily positive.
But Lyte, now I ask you, what can a chat restricted player do to avoid that secondary restriction? How can he say positive things? He's chat restricted, remember? You're basically telling him not to talk unless it's urgent. But by not talking, the system is set up to restrict him again? For doing what you told him to do? You can see why the concern is there, can you not?

So, to reiterate the question: What can a chat restricted player do to avoid a secondary "neutral-negative" chat restriction?

TurdyBird14

4 Weeks Ago

What makes me frustrated is how people in Ranked 5's get mad they lost, so they report the whole opposing team and I recieve a chat restriction, even though not using chat at all (talking to teammates in Skype). Also, I had a chat restriction for being toxic a couple games, then my friends kept reporting me afterwards despite not speaking in chat. Which then followed with more and more and more chat restrictions.

Graidon

4 Weeks Ago

Geez, while typing my original response two pages (mostly of flames) have been written.

Really quickly, Lyte if you can read my previous post as a direct response to you I'd appreciate it. Again, very many thanks for taking the time to actually respond to this thread. I apologize that it has garnered you the same negative attention I am trying to actively avoid in my gaming.

Anyone who has the ability can feel free to close this thread. Or if it continues to get really toxic I can just close it.

I am not looking to antagonize or enflame people. This was about getting help for my INDIVIDUAL issue, and I am just glad it has reached the right people.

Thanks again.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
11 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izbiz View Post
I think the problem people are having is that "not talking" is having a negative impact in the form of more bans. They are being punished again for not doing anything. We don't care 'what the system says', we just know that our behavior improved and we're still being punished. That's the perception. We know that there is not enough data. But not talking = not being toxic and SHOULD = chat ban removed.

Coming from a Summoner who has never been banned in any form.
I mentioned this briefly in another post, it's a bit more nuanced than that. First of all, not talking is fine. Most players don't talk and just use in-game pings.

However, let's look at players who have been toxic before, and earned a few penalties. For these players, if they were toxic for 100 games, then don't talk for 5 games... should we remove their chat penalties? Is the behavior considered fully improved? What if a player was toxic for 1000 games, then did not talk for 1 game? Should we remove their penalties?