Can you get a chat ban without typing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
5 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapstriplee View Post
the system is bull**** I think everything should be done manually by a real person because some people were probably given chat restrictions on accident and thats unfair if you think its okay then riot is a ****ed up company.
As you've seen on the forums several times, there's very few cases of players getting chat restrictions by accident. A lot of players post about their unfair bans, then someone from Player Support will typically reveal that it was well-deserved. It's 100% not OK for positive players or neutral players to be affected by the system, and we act immediately when such an incident occurs.

But right now, only 1-2 cases have been overturned since the chat restriction system started handing out penalties.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KilljoyX

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
This is untrue. Many players never talk in-game and just use in-game pings, and they aren't banned for Refusing to Communicate. A lot of players think they get banned for Refusing to Communicate, but it's never happened in all my years at Riot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte
If a player has behaved in a toxic manner in the past and received chat restrictions, then does not chat at all, sometimes the system does not have enough data to assess the behavior as neutral, positive, or worse. In the player's case, he may not have chatted at all, which is why the system gave him 30 games of chat restrictions this time instead of the 45 he got last time.
You know what they say about idiots and hypocrites just let them keep talking they'll use all the rope they have to hang themselves.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeroKuno

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penteano View Post
An auto system to check chats is not a good idea wth.
I've been reported many times for simply trying to lead my team and people don't like when you show them the obvious so they report you. Even if I never used a single bad word on them. Based on this system I'll get a chat restricion sooner or later.
What? I have played in all ELO ranges and play WAY more than you do and what you described does not happen at all. Leading a team to win and showing them the obvious doesn't lead to a chat ban. Come back here when you actually get chat banned or provide actual SS about things you say in-game. Isn't hard to take screenshots of the little things you say or calls you make unless those calls are absolutely wrong and cost your team to lose the game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarkvolcanReborn

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I'm currently out of the office so I can't look at your specific account; however, there's some misunderstandings to how the system works.

If you were communicating in a toxic manner, you'll get a chat restriction; it's nearly impossible to get your first chat restriction without behaving toxic in some way.

However, what happens afterwards varies a lot from player to player. In each case, after the chat restriction ends for a player, the system reviews all the games you played recently and tries to determine if you've improved your behavior. If your behavior has gotten worse, you will get even more chat restrictions than what you got in the previous set of restrictions. If your behavior has improved dramatically and you are in neutral or positive standing, you will receive no chat restrictions. If you don't talk at all, it's still better than communicating in a toxic way so you may receive a few chat restrictions until you are in better standing. In fact, many players never talk in League of Legends and just use smart pings to communicate in-game and that's perfectly fine.

If the system is unsure about your current standing (because you never talked in your past sets of games, or you showed both positive and negative patterns of behavior in your games), you'll receive a few more chat restrictions so the system can collect more data. In ambiguous or extreme cases, Player Support will also assist the system with manual review of the data to determine next steps; for example, some players who become even more negative after a chat restriction may end up losing their Ranked rewards or receive permanent account bans if Player Support feels like the player is unlikely to ever reform.
so basically, tldr, mutes for not doing anything
thanks for confirming everyone's suspicions


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CopyCat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I'm currently out of the office so I can't look at your specific account; however, there's some misunderstandings to how the system works.

If you were communicating in a toxic manner, you'll get a chat restriction; it's nearly impossible to get your first chat restriction without behaving toxic in some way.

However, what happens afterwards varies a lot from player to player. In each case, after the chat restriction ends for a player, the system reviews all the games you played recently and tries to determine if you've improved your behavior. If your behavior has gotten worse, you will get even more chat restrictions than what you got in the previous set of restrictions. If your behavior has improved dramatically and you are in neutral or positive standing, you will receive no chat restrictions. If you don't talk at all, it's still better than communicating in a toxic way so you may receive a few chat restrictions until you are in better standing. In fact, many players never talk in League of Legends and just use smart pings to communicate in-game and that's perfectly fine.

If the system is unsure about your current standing (because you never talked in your past sets of games, or you showed both positive and negative patterns of behavior in your games), you'll receive a few more chat restrictions so the system can collect more data. In ambiguous or extreme cases, Player Support will also assist the system with manual review of the data to determine next steps; for example, some players who become even more negative after a chat restriction may end up losing their Ranked rewards or receive permanent account bans if Player Support feels like the player is unlikely to ever reform.
The biggest problem I have with this system is that it relies mainly on the number of reports. Right now I'm playing in Diamond 1 and the chances of getting matched with the same players from last game are higher. For instance, few days ago I was playing ranked and I met a duo, we were losing but I had like 10 kills trying to carry the team and stuff and in one bad play I missed smite on Baron, the duo keeps constantly blaming me and trash talking me throughout the rest of the game, I rage at them too. Obviously I get 2 reports there. I queue up for the next game, I meet the 2 same guys, constantly harassing me from the beginning of the game, I try to talk the least I can. Game ends, the duo ask for the enemy team to report me. My point is that I don't think that reports from the same players should be weighed the same as their "first reports", because in Diamond 1 the chances of you ending up in a game with the same people that "hate" you are quite high.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
6 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleshakai View Post
With the tribunal at least people were deciding to punish people - whatever other flaws the system may have had. A computer should not be the final say in people getting punished for behavioural issues, regardless of accuracy. AFK/Leaver bans, absolutely - those are completely numerical, factual. There's a hard cap, if you reach it, you get punished.

Behavioural issues should at least have someone looking at it before punishment. Now, if you wanted to use this new fancy tech you've got here to SORT to find cases worthy of a tribunal looking at, that sounds like a fantastic way to speed up the system - which everyone admits was a bit slow. But if a computer is responsible for dictating what is considered 'appropriate' behaviour without the community really having a final say in it... doesn't that defeat the whole stance you guys used to take regarding this sort of thing?

Wasn't the point of the tribunal that it made the community decide what the community feels is appropriate? That's what you guys always used to say. And that's a respectable goal, it was one of the things I always found the most impressive about you guys was that you held firm on that stance. Until now.
I agree with many of your points, which is why the chat restriction system is temporary and very experimental. The goal is to take many of the lessons from chat restrictions and incorporate them into the new Tribunal so that we can speed up the Tribunal.

We're investigating things like how accurate systems like this can be, and how different types of information can influence the accuracy of the system. For example, is analysis of the chat log more or less important than analysis of player-submitted reports? Or, the comments included in player-submitted reports? Given all the things we record, what data leads to the most accurate decisions?

In the future, we can use a highly sophisticated system like this to determine which Tribunal cases are "ambiguous" and may need more votes, or which are more clear-cut. Alternatively, we could do things like figure out which Tribunal cases are more severe and deserve harsher penalties.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teemò

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Lyte, can you please do something about people falsely reporting me because they simply don't like me?

In D1, I play with the same people very often and there are a handful of people that just don't like me and haven't liked me for a long time and they WILL report me every game whether I'm on their team or the enemy team.

Hell, I was chat restricted and a sion main on the ENEMY team reported for verbal abuse for at least 8 games that we had together when I can't even USE all chat to begin with. None of my team reported me or asked for reports on me or even complained about me but he would always just report me. This is just a small example. (there is also a rengar main that does this too. He didn't like me for one game that I was support and didn't build sightstone so he reports me no matter what ever since then)

No matter the legitimacy of the report, it still counts towards chat restrictions and I'm living proof of that. Can you at least invalidate all reports for verbal abuse from people on the enemy team when one is chat restricted? It makes no sense for that to even go through.

Edit: Seems Lyte intentionally ignored this post. WP rito


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penteano

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroKuno View Post
What? I have played in all ELO ranges and play WAY more than you do and what you described does not happen at all. Leading a team to win and showing them the obvious doesn't lead to a chat ban. Come back here when you actually get chat banned or provide actual SS about things you say in-game. Isn't hard to take screenshots of the little things you say or calls you make unless those calls are absolutely wrong and cost your team to lose the game.
Pardon Mr Diamond, what do I know? I'm just someone that when said the obvious to a team got flamed back so many times but never insulted those guys in same way. Apologizes for not being as good as you. Didn't know it mattered that much. What a crime.
If you didn't get it let me explain because may be too hard: the way he is talking make it sound like that. Got it now?!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
7 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkvolcanReborn View Post
so basically, tldr, mutes for not doing anything
thanks for confirming everyone's suspicions
You're missing a critical difference in what I just posted.

Players that have never received any penalties before, and not behaved toxic before, will never have an issue not talking.

Players that have been punished before or behaved toxic before are treated differently by systems. So, if players that have been punished recently for toxic behavior do not chat in games, it's treated as "neutral" and not necessarily positive.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Minocycline6

Senior Member

4 Weeks Ago

@Lyte Wouldn't a much better system be to email a person who gets chat banned, and in that email give their personal chat logs (no other usernames included), so they can see exactly how their behavior was considered wrong and how they can improve