Can you get a chat ban without typing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
3 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKun View Post
but by your standards not talking or not communicating with the team is also toxic, so it's a loss-loss situation
This is untrue. Many players never talk in-game and just use in-game pings, and they aren't banned for Refusing to Communicate. A lot of players think they get banned for Refusing to Communicate, but it's never happened in all my years at Riot.

ZeroKuno

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleshakai View Post
Read the first line of what Lyte said and then think for about 3 seconds to find your reason for why his answers were generic.
You don't sound like a positive player. Of course I'm just saying that just to say it. They should manually review you to show you that they do it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
4 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom Mon Nom View Post
Well, that's a great way to give a lot of generic information you keep telling us. But he hasn't talked, so how do your systems prove toxic behavior beyond no talking? This is a CHAT ban, so his "in-game behavior" (probably things like AFK, etc) wouldn't be affected by the CHAT ban. No generic answers please.
I explained this in the original post. If a player has behaved in a toxic manner in the past and received chat restrictions, then does not chat at all, sometimes the system does not have enough data to assess the behavior as neutral, positive, or worse. In the player's case, he may not have chatted at all, which is why the system gave him 30 games of chat restrictions this time instead of the 45 he got last time.

If the system thought the player was more toxic, it would have given the player more restrictions, not less. If the player had never received chat restrictions before and never behaved in a toxic manner before, then not talking in games would not lead to a punishment at all to begin with.

dapstriplee

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I explained this in the original post. If a player has behaved in a toxic manner in the past and received chat restrictions, then does not chat at all, sometimes the system does not have enough data to assess the behavior as neutral, positive, or worse. In the player's case, he may not have chatted at all, which is why the system gave him 30 games of chat restrictions this time instead of the 45 he got last time.

If the system thought the player was more toxic, it would have given the player more restrictions, not less. If the player had never received chat restrictions before and never behaved in a toxic manner before, then not talking in games would not lead to a punishment at all to begin with.
the system is bull**** I think everything should be done manually by a real person because some people were probably given chat restrictions on accident and thats unfair if you think its okay then riot is a ****ed up company.

Eleshakai

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I'm open to hearing your feedback. Even in the Tribunal, Player Support only manually reviews ambiguous cases, or severe cases (that result in bigger penalties).

Even in the chat restriction system, so few players are affected on most servers that Player Support does review a significant portion of the cases and Player Behavior reviews another significant portion. The teams don't review 100% of cases.

Is the problem you have with the system that there are false positives and positive players being punished, or that we should review 100% of cases regardless of the accuracy of the system?
With the tribunal at least people were deciding to punish people - whatever other flaws the system may have had. A computer should not be the final say in people getting punished for behavioural issues, regardless of accuracy. AFK/Leaver bans, absolutely - those are completely numerical, factual. There's a hard cap, if you reach it, you get punished.

Behavioural issues should at least have someone looking at it before punishment. Now, if you wanted to use this new fancy tech you've got here to SORT to find cases worthy of a tribunal looking at, that sounds like a fantastic way to speed up the system - which everyone admits was a bit slow. But if a computer is responsible for dictating what is considered 'appropriate' behaviour without the community really having a final say in it... doesn't that defeat the whole stance you guys used to take regarding this sort of thing?

Wasn't the point of the tribunal that it made the community decide what the community feels is appropriate? That's what you guys always used to say. And that's a respectable goal, it was one of the things I always found the most impressive about you guys was that you held firm on that stance. Until now.

FurryFurball

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
This is untrue. Many players never talk in-game and just use in-game pings, and they aren't banned for Refusing to Communicate. A lot of players think they get banned for Refusing to Communicate, but it's never happened in all my years at Riot.
... Then why does an option to report for that exist?

Penteano

4 Weeks Ago

An auto system to check chats is not a good idea wth.
I've been reported many times for simply trying to lead my team and people don't like when you show them the obvious so they report you. Even if I never used a single bad word on them. Based on this system I'll get a chat restricion sooner or later.

Ðèñšchîrö

4 Weeks Ago

It's not like chat restrictions on chat abusers are a serious loss anyway. They have pings, and they've already demonstrated that if they have full access to chat, they aren't going to use it constructively, they're just going to harass other players.

I've never met a rager in which the conversation went:
"OMG YOU SUCK"
"OMG WHY ARE YOU EVEN IN LANE? UNINSTALL!"
"1/2/4? HAHAHA BRONZIE!"
"STUPID NOOB CAN'T LAST HIT"
"Hey guys, please assist me with baron. Bot, there is a mid mia, might wanna keep your eyes peeled. Top, I just saw their jungler, heading your way."
"OMG WHY DO YOU STUPID NOOBS KEEP HOLDING ME BACK!?"
"/ALL BG NOOBS CAN'T WIN GAME, BACK CAN'T CARRY THESE BRONZIES."

Ragers don't need chat until they learn how to use it, it's a privilege, not a right. Just like the entire game.

ChicksDigMyAshe

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapstriplee View Post
the system is bull**** I think everything should be done manually by a real person because some people were probably given chat restrictions on accident and thats unfair if you think its okay then riot is a ****ed up company.
1. Do you think that Riot could possibly review every single case by hand?

2. Court systems are done in person, do you think everyone of those cases are settled fairly?

There's going to be problems no matter what.

VMan

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
If a player has behaved in a toxic manner in the past and received chat restrictions, then does not chat at all, sometimes the system does not have enough data to assess the behavior as neutral, positive, or worse. In the player's case, he may not have chatted at all, which is why the system gave him 30 games of chat restrictions this time instead of the 45 he got last time.
What kind of bat**** retarded system did you design