Can you get a chat ban without typing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
1 of 14 Riot Posts

I'm currently out of the office so I can't look at your specific account; however, there's some misunderstandings to how the system works.

If you were communicating in a toxic manner, you'll get a chat restriction; it's nearly impossible to get your first chat restriction without behaving toxic in some way.

However, what happens afterwards varies a lot from player to player. In each case, after the chat restriction ends for a player, the system reviews all the games you played recently and tries to determine if you've improved your behavior. If your behavior has gotten worse, you will get even more chat restrictions than what you got in the previous set of restrictions. If your behavior has improved dramatically and you are in neutral or positive standing, you will receive no chat restrictions. If you don't talk at all, it's still better than communicating in a toxic way so you may receive a few chat restrictions until you are in better standing. In fact, many players never talk in League of Legends and just use smart pings to communicate in-game and that's perfectly fine.

If the system is unsure about your current standing (because you never talked in your past sets of games, or you showed both positive and negative patterns of behavior in your games), you'll receive a few more chat restrictions so the system can collect more data. In ambiguous or extreme cases, Player Support will also assist the system with manual review of the data to determine next steps; for example, some players who become even more negative after a chat restriction may end up losing their Ranked rewards or receive permanent account bans if Player Support feels like the player is unlikely to ever reform.

Eskimoƒo

4 Weeks Ago

I haven't been banned in-game for almost 3 years, how do people do it?
I end up getting stuck with someone ping spamming telling me what to do from across the map and no way of muting pings like before, worst decision ever, don't tell me to mute sound effects the game was meant to play with sound, I love my expensive headphones UNTIL SOMEONE SPAMS PING

5ackLunch

4 Weeks Ago

So what Lyte is saying, By not talking you gave the system no information to go off of, so it just gave you more chat restrictions.

Riiiiight...

Eleshakai

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I'm currently out of the office so I can't look at your specific account; however, there's some misunderstandings to how the system works.

If you were communicating in a toxic manner, you'll get a chat restriction; it's nearly impossible to get your first chat restriction without behaving toxic in some way.

However, what happens afterwards varies a lot from player to player. In each case, after the chat restriction ends for a player, the system reviews all the games you played recently and tries to determine if you've improved your behavior. If your behavior has gotten worse, you will get even more chat restrictions than what you got in the previous set of restrictions. If your behavior has improved dramatically and you are in neutral or positive standing, you will receive no chat restrictions. If you don't talk at all, it's still better than communicating in a toxic way so you may receive a few chat restrictions until you are in better standing. In fact, many players never talk in League of Legends and just use smart pings to communicate in-game and that's perfectly fine.

If the system is unsure about your current standing (because you never talked in your past sets of games, or you showed both positive and negative patterns of behavior in your games), you'll receive a few more chat restrictions so the system can collect more data. In ambiguous or extreme cases, Player Support will also assist the system with manual review of the data to determine next steps; for example, some players who become even more negative after a chat restriction may end up losing their Ranked rewards or receive permanent account bans if Player Support feels like the player is unlikely to ever reform.
Please tell me this horrible system isn't going to last much longer. As a positive player, the way this automated system hands out punishments seems absolutely absurd. I want to play League of Legends, but I cannot and will not support a company that doesn't even respect its fanbase enough to have someone review a case before punishing them in behavioural cases.

Best Jg Atlantis

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:

but by your standards not talking or not communicating with the team is also toxic, so it's a loss-loss situation

OGZ Poptart Cat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

4 Weeks Ago

Oh you can lose rewards for being toxic now? Dayum that's good.

Nom Mon Nom

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:

Well, that's a great way to give a lot of generic information you keep telling us. But he hasn't talked, so how do your systems prove toxic behavior beyond no talking? This is a CHAT ban, so his "in-game behavior" (probably things like AFK, etc) wouldn't be affected by the CHAT ban. No generic answers please.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

4 Weeks Ago
2 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleshakai View Post
Please tell me this horrible system isn't going to last much longer. As a positive player, the way this automated system hands out punishments seems absolutely absurd. I want to play League of Legends, but I cannot and will not support a company that doesn't even respect its fanbase enough to have someone review a case before punishing them in behavioural cases.
I'm open to hearing your feedback. Even in the Tribunal, Player Support only manually reviews ambiguous cases, or severe cases (that result in bigger penalties).

Even in the chat restriction system, so few players are affected on most servers that Player Support does review a significant portion of the cases and Player Behavior reviews another significant portion. The teams don't review 100% of cases.

Is the problem you have with the system that there are false positives and positive players being punished, or that we should review 100% of cases regardless of the accuracy of the system?

Look Behind You

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ackLunch View Post
So what Lyte is saying, By not talking you gave the system no information to go off of, so it just gave you more chat restrictions.

Riiiiight...
Rito at its finest, ladies and gents.

Eleshakai

4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom Mon Nom View Post
Well, that's a great way to give a lot of generic information you keep telling us. But he hasn't talked, so how do your systems prove toxic behavior beyond no talking? This is a CHAT ban, so his "in-game behavior" (probably things like AFK, etc) wouldn't be affected by the CHAT ban. No generic answers please.
Read the first line of what Lyte said and then think for about 3 seconds to find your reason for why his answers were generic.