Some tips on getting out of ELO hell.

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 27
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

12-16-2010

Dyrus' Advice Awareness Corner

As we all know, ELO hell isn't the greatest and no matter how much ELO you accumulate you will always find that one person on your team screwing you over but here are some things that you should know or already probably know, stuff like basics in this game. (Edit: According to some people there is no such thing, it's only a myth. I'm not sure what it is myself but other then ELO hell this thread is just to help make people aware of more things in league of legends, and I hope it helps) (Refer to here http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=400524)

Or you can refer to LocoDomodobos page about ELO hell and why it does or doesn't exist. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=400943

IMPORTANT

How I got out of ELO hell in Closed beta was simple but crafty. I added whoever did good in my game and suddenly branched off it. Eventually It came to finally adding the players who were one of the best and since I did good too, they wanted to play with me too. So if you can find a mutual relationship in skill level, you can use that cooperation to jump out of elo hell by just a little bit, but it doesn't mean you can drag ass all the time. You both have to do your share and eventually you get better because when you play against good people, you will start to play better. If you always pubstomp against lower skilled people you won't really get any better or it wouldn't be the same of what you learn from playing against a good player. etc. i dunno muffin shady penguins ladfjkasdjfljkas. ok read it.

1. Don't trash talk the guy who's screwing you over it only makes it worse.

2. Communicate with your team

3. Think about what you need for your team composition and react on it, do whatever you can to win but at the same time trying to have fun.

4. Play heroes you're good at.

5. Learn how to solo lane/dual lane/jungle/counter jungle/top solo lane

6. Understand the champions for the roles for #5

7. Place wards in strategic spots like dragon,baron,choke points for ganking,buffs.

8. Last hit creeps or if you're support, try to give last hits to partner depending on what they are.

9. Don't pick up rally or fortify (Revive is a lot better then you think I.E. global heroes or end game team fights)

10. When multiple things go wrong you can resort to playing solo queue kind of heroes that will carry (Besides your main character that you're good with and do great with)

That means don't play the new heroes that nobody understands yet in ranked, practice it in something else unless you know your team is really good and you'll win no matter what or something like that.

In my opinion:
Akali, Anivia, Ashe, Chogath, Corki, Mundo, Galio, Karthus, Kass, Kat, Kennen, Kog, Yi, MF, Morde, Morg, Nasus, Nidalee, Olaf, Pantheon Poppy, Rammus, Shaco, Shen, Singed, Sion, Sivir, Teemo, Tristana, Tryndamere, Twitch, Udyr, Urgot, Veigar(games that last a long time), Vlad, Warwick, Xin, Zilean.

Or heroes with 20 stacks.

If fighting with your team goes bad then just place wards and attempt to farm, this has won me many games, many times.

11. Pick up a duo queue partner you can trust, or similar ELO

Try to take solo lanes, or jungle. Picking combination heroes like Morgana+Jax or Rammus+Kat, can be devastating.

12. Learn something from every game.

There is nobody in this game who is perfect, because then if that were true then they'd be the best with every hero and have godlike map awareness, perfect farm, etc everything. There is room for improvement for everyone so don't just underestimate certain people because you've seen them play bad and assume you will win, evolution of the mind is a great thing. (With exception of certain people)

Change your runes, item builds, learn from others, test out different masteries. The great thing about LoL is the combinations you can do with heroes, runes, masteries. The possibilities aren't endless but you have a wide variety to choose from.

Place wards, last hit better, understand other heroes and potential abilities and situations. Ganks, jungle paths, strategies, counter jungling, there are a lot of things to consider. So when people that play dota or HON are saying league is way to simple and easy, they're wrong. They're obnoxious elitists who haven't even touched the game. VIA: HoN rap song/others.

Because the game only really begins when you hit level 30, and have your own runepages and champions that you've earned over the games.

13. Add players better then you/around your level. Understand that ELO, and score doesn't have as much as credit as you think.

You can only get truly better at this game by playing players that are difficult to play. If you just keep stomping players who have played less or aren't exactly up to par, then you getting 20 pentakills in ranked or that 30+ kill max and no deaths doesn't really mean much because it's just numbers. Could anyone do that against the best in this game, I don't think so but if you do, then great job. Then you become one of the exceptions because nobody can predict the future on that, etc.

14. Understand the types of players and how some people are considered good.

There are players that are adept in

1v1 top lane
1v1 middle lane
2v2 duo lane bot
Jungle
Counter Jungle
Farmers
Positioning
Reactions in team fights
Ward Placers
Gankers
and all the other elements of league of legends.

For example, all I do and what I still only do is pretty much farm most of the game why? Because it's simple and effective especially when I play singed who can run around poisoning killing every creep in his path. Effectively farming moving on to the next creep.

Or Andy (Reginald) who only solo's mid or top. Have you ever seen him play tanks/support? Not really what he's known for. He can 1v1 agressively/smart play or he can jungle with certain heroes great, he makes a lot (not all) good team decisions for the team, etc.

Or SaberTiger/Laoching They are great duo laners because that's what they practiced alot. Taric/Shen are players like HotshotGG, or Lilballz known for great duo lane? No because Hotshot only usually solo's or jungles most of the time and can duo lane too, and Lil plays jungle most of the time.

So basically in the end for this thing is that there are different kinds of players, I can't explain it perfectly but if you have any questions just ask. (No offense intended to the players above)

15. I can't remember anything else right now so I'll probably edit later. oh I know

16. Don't blame other people

I think this is self explanatory, I used to do it a lot trying to find an excuse for why I did something wrong/bad.

17. Constantly play LoL

Now i'm not talking about nonstop, but every game you play you get better in some way, everyone has had their slumps, and or good games. Your ELO will average out eventually.

For example: If I get dropped to 1300 elo, well yeah it'll probably go up because I've played the game 1000's of times and am able to carry to a certain degree.

Another thing edit: when you play you gain some type of muscle memory in the reactions you do. Just like playing a sport, you will become more capable of doing a certain move more smoothly.

Edits and adds Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copout View Post
Learning to move the pieces in chess is just the first step in learning to play chess, just as learning to build and play champions in league of legends is just the first step to learning to play.

Once you know how to move the pieces in chess, you have to familiarize yourself with opening games, middle game management, end game and mating patterns, concepts of space, tempo, and initiative, pawn structure, thinking ahead several turns, planning out a long term strategy, and moving your pieces in the right order.

In league of legends, you need to work on early, middle, and late game strategies. You need to learn how to gain initiative and then use it. You need to learn how to work with your team in a team fight. You need to learn to pick a meaningful objective and complete it. You also need a little creativity to adapt your plan to fit the actions of the other team. Keeping these concepts in mind while you play league of legends is how you win a game.

19. Zoning

I can't stress enough, denying your opponents of EXP when you can is critical. Don't constantly push the lane, have wards to know when to run away from opposing champions that have come to help their allies.

You can refer to Shurelia's Zoning video, I find it very informational. It also explains why I was so effective with jax throughout the months of LoL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kxGQ3gWdrM

20. Listening to pings, and teammates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrfang
GANK INCOMING BOT, GANK INCOMING BOT. "relax im fine"

..................... 10 seconds later

"AN ALLY HAS BEEN SLAIN."
I lol'ed but it's true, I've seen this happen hundreds of times. Don't be like me and prioritize farm over your own champion life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisterAP View Post
In my opinion, there is no such thing as Elo Hell. As long as you play well, you can ensure you have a big impact on the games outcome. Of course there are some situations that are out of your control, but that's the essence of solo queue; you are paired up with 4 random people. Playing certain roles gives you an advantage over other people of the same elo however. I know for a fact that when your highest elo player is a support and the opposing team's highest player is a carry or jungle, you're at a slight disadvantage.
/agree

22. IMPORTANT

The great thing about this game is the diversity. You can play 5 tanks and still fulfill every role.
You can play 5 junglers, and still be a strong team there's a reason why they can jungle I mean have you seen a lane warwick go AP? It's ridiculously good and especially viable.
There's so many different hybrid classes, and items that can make any hero a tank or dps.
---------------------

Questions/Stuff to Add/etc post below or msg
AIM:TSirDies
Dyrus (ingame)
tsirdiesalot@yahoo.com

On another note
If you already know all this and more great, pass it on because not everyone is fully aware of everything because nobody is perfect.

Yes I'm a hypocrite I troll, sarcasm in-game, but in vent I like to be nice to people. Vice Versa. Which is also probably the reason why I haven't gotten an email ban notice but that's another story.

Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertle View Post
dyrus what do i do when the last pick says nothing and picks eve rally/revive and says qdodge or feeding
That is a good question.

a wiseman once said the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D34dl0ck View Post
I too suffer from losing streaks. I've been playing for over a month now, and have developed a technique to turning these around. Just follow these simple steps.

1. Ride the fail train.

Ride that fail train. You're going to lose, so stop fighting it. Pick any character you want and just go in each game with an awful goal, like getting one kill on the enemy's worst player, or managing to start a conversation about lolcats. Even though you will be ruined, you should accomplish this goal which will keep your morale up.

2. Crash the fail train.

Eventually the fail train will crash into the fail zone. The fail zone is full of people in similar situations to yours. You need to adapt to the fail zone, it has different rules to the normal world. Remember that your team will never help you, that getting abilities like Rally is useless because your team will never work together.

In the fail zone it's every man for himself, so grab ghost and run away whenever there is trouble. You don't need to run faster than the enemies, you just need to run faster than your other team mate so they kill him instead.

If in doubt, hide behind your nexus on the fountain, nobody will be able to kill you and the tower will protect you. When the nexus is destroyed, you've survived through the game, good job.

3. Welcome to newbie Island

Eventually you will be renegated all the way down to newbie island. You've broken the mystical newbie barrier with your epic fail, but now is the time to turn the tables in a suprise sneak attack.

First, pick a tanky or support hero. I prefer Taric here. Now stack your hero with lots of aura based items. As many as you can find. Now start talking to your team. Many of them will not seem to be able to speak, but even the primitive newbie can be taught to spot map pings and follow the rest of the pack.

Rally your team of newbies around you, and take them into battle against the enemy newbies. There will be some horrible fail deaths, much facepalming, and many uses of the revive spell. But eventually your newbies will win out due to your many auras. At this point, you should drive into the enemy nexus and beat on it. Don't forget to keep your team morale up but shouting into chat.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattehwubbs View Post
Here's one: Play a jungler. ELO Hell games rarely consist of a jungle, and it's pretty easy to get fed off one. 20 Minute Razor and a Pink Ward on Baron guarantees Baron dying in your favor. On my smurf every game I've played, even if I'm not doing extremely well and getting super fed, as long as we get Baron we're winning the next teamfight, and pushing some nice towers, and demoralizing their team.
A lot of people leave dragon,buffs, and baron unchecked. So this is indeed true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphere View Post
I am sure this will be a very helpful post for many players. Having a solo q setting in a team game pretty much ensures frustration as sometimes no matter how well you play you will not be able to escape a loss. I will admit that I am bad about handling situations where players continuously make mistakes and do not learn from it and it has cost quite a few games where I either give advice or get angry at someone for doing so. I tend to stay away from solo q as I don't like to get angry over a situation out of my control. If you follow the tips it will most likely help. The only thing you need to think about is your own play. If you focus on playing well and improving then it really doesn't matter what the ELO is or win/lose. Everyone wants to win but sometimes you just have to look back on a game and just say I played well and we still lost. I have played games where I made one mistake 50 minutes in and we lose because of it. It annoys me that if three other players on my team hadn't made 100 mistakes prior to that it would still be a win, but I can still take that mistake away as something I need to correct in the future. As Dyrus mentions, ELO doesn't carry that much credit in reality. I can do well against top tier players without having a 2000 rating and I know quite a few people that I consider better players than many "top tier" players without a high ELO. If you can work on your own play and follow these tips without getting frustrated about situations that are out of your control then you will over time improve as a player and most likely get out of ELO hell. Even if you don't go up immensely though, if you can see that your play is improving that is worth much more than a few points.
Good reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackerP
2 quick things I thought were important...I think it should read:

2. COMMAND your team unless they're already chatty and know what the **** they're doing and when to do it (they dont) you need to command them. They see you doing good (good kda/pushing towers/ganking/team fights) they'll listen. "lead by example"

11. Pick up a duo queue partner you can trust and is similar ELO

Because picking someone who is around your elo or even higher isn't a good strat to hope they won't suck ****.

If you think your elo is higher than it is then your better off solo queueing. I've had way easier times getting random people to listen to me than anyone I've solo queued with and it's often lead to losses because they wouldn't listen to me.
good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuf
11. Pick up a duo queue partner you can trust, or similar ELO

Are you sure that is good advice ? I've never been doing better than solo and i saw a post which told that duo Q was broken cause you end up with lower allys than average game ELO (here in solomid if i remember correctly).
It doesn't work for everybody, but it helps because then you have a coodernated team of two people who are pubstomping all the noobs.

Note: Editing removes thumbs up, remembering count at 82 for whoever cares.

I'm now offering lessons msg me for details

Questions/Stuff to Add/etc post below or msg
AIM:TSirDies
Dyrus (ingame)
tsirdiesalot@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
Congratulations, Dyrus.

And remember, everyone, Elo Hell never ends.

At 100, Elo Hell is a Mordekaiser stacking Manamunes, feeding, and muttering in Portuguese about how he is #1.
At 1200 it's a team without a jungler.
At 1400 it's an Udyr sitting at bot at the 40 minute mark.
At 1800 it's the other team having 2200+ Elo Smurfs.

So true'

_____

4/28/11

This thread only shows the basics and maybe some more. There are alot of other concepts and things that people don't realize how low the learning curve is. It really doesn't take that much, but if I told people then we wouldn't be so special anymore, but it does come heavily from experience.

5IIIII

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2010

hi dyrus nice guide

LMQ Tc N0Name

12-16-2010

Hey Dyrus, can you carry me?

leetschi

12-16-2010

wow, pretty much text to read x.x

gonna start working on it during the next couple of weeks...
:thumbs up for alot of text:

iloveburritos

12-16-2010

+1. Good post. I should def try out a few new mastery builds and rune builds.. that something I haven't even considered while trying (and failing spectacularly) to get out of ELO hell.

Dyrus

Senior Recruiter

12-17-2010

note that even if you do all of the above you might still be stuck in elo hell.

SilverSoultaker

Emissary of the League

12-17-2010

Good guide Dyrus

DreXxiN

12-17-2010

Dyrus. This man tought me all about competitive Singed when I started, and gave me a lot of pointers when I was still on noobie island. Much respect, man. I'm such a good Singed now, you'd be proud. :P

Dyrus

Senior Recruiter

12-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSoultaker View Post
Good guide Dyrus
thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreXxiN View Post
Dyrus. This man tought me all about competitive Singed when I started, and gave me a lot of pointers when I was still on noobie island. Much respect, man. I'm such a good Singed now, you'd be proud. :P
haha it's been while. show me sometime.

redtoll

12-17-2010

According to Chauster, there is no such thing as ELO Hell, so all lies

1234511 ... 27